“Cool stopover in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of citizenM Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added citizenM Amsterdam to your Saves list
citizenM Amsterdam
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Prinses Irenestraat 30, 1077WX Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Announcement
Become a citizen!
Ranked #35 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Reykjavik, Iceland
“Cool stopover in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

The Citizen M City, not to be confused with the airport one, is a great place to stay at. Hip and cool rooms and surroundings topped off with great service and convenient amenities. The rooms are like in a space station, with capsules for a shower and WC. The check in and out are self-service, if you don’t have any funny letters in your name it is very convenient and easy to use. The location is a bit out of the city center but just around the corner, is the number 5 tram that takes you directly to the museum district, bar district and down town. Access to the airport is also very convenient as its only one stop away from Schipol Airport on the metro. If in Amsterdam you must try out this hotel, it’s a bit of adifferent hotel experience then usual but very nice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hasselt, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

The location of the hotel is good, it's not located in the direct city center of Amsterdam. This is no problem at all because tram 5 stops just in front of the hotel. There is no noise and you can have a good night rest. The check in goes very smoothly, 6pc's available and there is always somebody to help you. Friendly staff, very open comunication with the guests. The room is very basic but nice looking with a huge bed (I wish we could have taken it home ;)). Domotic in the room was working good, lovely wake up call on the tv with a nice "birdy sound". Also very nice that the bar is open 24hours. Breakfast was good! We had a lovely stay and would definitely return to a Citizen hotel, we loved the concept!

Room Tip: Take a garden view room
Exeter, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

Stayed here a couple of weeks ago for a course at the Academisch Medisch Centrum, and chose this hotel as it's pretty-much bang on the metro, tram and train lines and seemed pretty funky - and good value for work expenses.
As other reviewers have mentioned, the rooms are small but cleverly laid out with the shower and toilet in the room but separate-able. The whole feel of the place is 'chillaxed cool zone', with check-in manned by friendly beautiful people straight out of the 'Gap' mould. I might be a tough case and my sense of direction is not the best, but the three times I asked for directions to various places I didn't get very clear answers and ended up going the wrong way on each occasion (it was a different location each time, I'm not an imbecile!).
I ate in one night and the food was good – a very tasty Thai green curry with some fab mini poppadoms and pickled vegetables – but was surprised they only had one hot meal on the menu; this was at 8.30pm, apparently the choice changes every day. As it’s in quite an out-of-the-way area, I’d have thought the inhouse menu would be better but I guess most people eat out. Also found it strange that there seemed to be no drinking water available in the rooms, but you could buy most things (food, drink, toiletries) downstairs in the lobby. Finally, the room control remote or ‘Moodpad’; again, I’m not a luddite but equally no technogeek so it may have been user error – but the bally thing drove me mad after half an hour. It had a slow erratic response rate, and operating the window blind took the patience of a saint. Definitely a case of style over substance, and my tip would be: use the blind control on the wall, it’s far quicker.
It was all fine, but I was left with a vaguely uneasy feeling that I didn’t quite ‘get it’ – I wonder how quickly the novelty rooms would wear off if you were there for more than a couple of days, as for two people there’s not a huge amount of elbow room unless you spend all your time on the bed. On reflection, I came away with the impression that this was what the hotel was mainly all about.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

My Husband organised this short break as a surprise for our Wedding Anniversary and it was fantastic!

I've got to say I was a bit aprehensive after realising how small the room would be and I wasn't sure about having the ameneties stuck in the middle of the room but it was AWESOME!

Yes, the rooms are small but the space is used in a very efficient and effective way which made the place all the more special. Once we were out and about in Amsterdam I looked forward to getting back to our quirky room to enjoy the things it had to offer!

It had an enormous bed which was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! The shower was great and there was plenty of clean fresh towels for us to use. There is a chiffon style curtain that can be drawn between the bed and the rest of the room if you'd like a bit more privacy. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the Mood Pad... it's a gadget that controls loads of things in the room from the lighting to the television to the blinds.

Even though we only stayed for two nights the room was serviced and the bedding/towels changed after one night. There was loads of helpful staff available to sort any problems/queries if required and the whole buzz of this hotel was just lovely.

The Hotel location was fab, one train stop from the airport near the World Trade Centre, it was very quiet which made for an excellent nights sleep. We used the trams to go back and forth all weekend which proved to be very easy as they are so frequent, again with helpful staff. The hotel was approx. 15 mins from The Central Station in Amsterdam, the journey to get there was great as we spotted loads of places and things we wanted to see and do on the way in.

Overall it was an extreemly enjoyable weekend to remember and CitizenM had a lot to do with that!! When we managed to grab another weekend in Amsterdam we will definately be staying here.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

We came in from Schiphol by train, which takes about 10 mins to Zuid station. Literally a 5 min walk from Zuid station to hotel -and signposted, so really easy to find.
self service check in was efficient, had no problems at all, but if you do run into trouble, one of the many friendly staff are on hand to help.
Rooms are like many have said before - Bijou and intimate. I would say this definitely not for people that struggle with small spaces or that are planning a long trip. There isn't a great deal of space for luggage.
Amsterdam city centre is approx 20 mins on number 5 tram - really easy and pleasant journey. We bought 24 hour tickets at 7 euro pp.
The food and drink is a little pricey but it's a nice space and lots of chill out space/internet access.The staff here are excellent, really friendly.
Being the types we are, we shouldn't have liked this hotel, but we did - but would probably only use it in a city break capacity ie: when you shouldn't be in your room much anyway!

wheeling, wv
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Stayed at Cit M to attend meeting at RAI Center -- perfect location and amenities for such a visit. Other positives: good WiFi service, the key system, the plentiful lobby seating. Negatives: room is small even for one person; not really enough space to hang clothes for a 5-day stay; desk is small; hard to avoid cold water when you start the shower. I consider the negatives very minor.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

What can I say but only that we had a wonderful stay (2 nights) at this hotel. Everything you've read about, in terms of it's creativity, was spot on! The room was very comfortable and functional...we had no issues with the room controls. Only minor flaw was it got a little dry in the room on the 1st night so it would have been nice to have had the option of opening a window...no worries, we got through it!!

Although there's not much in the immediate area for food (trust me, we walked all over the place), the options available on site were pretty good. Some may view it as a bit pricey, however, we accepted the fact that we were in Europe and some things can get expensive.

As you may have already read, simply hop on the #5 tram to the left of the hotel and your in the city center 10-12 minutes later. I believe it cost about 2.60 euros each and you can pay right on the tram (they even have change, if you require it).

All in all, a great stay was had by my wife and I...certainly the most creative hotel we've stayed at...oh, I must add that the staff were awesome, always willing to help out!! Would definitely stay again and recommend to our friends!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to citizenM Amsterdam? Share your experiences!