“Great value-top quality budget friendly eatery” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Coffee Shop, Sandwiches
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Great value-top quality budget friendly eatery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is such a cute, quaint cafe off the crowded main shopping streets. The menu has a large enough selection for even the fussiest eater to find something to their liking. The portions are very large, so keep this in mind if you are just snacking. The coffee was excellent, the beer selection was interesting (in a GOOD way). They have fresh squeezed juices and most menu items are very fresh. The food presentation is beautiful-most sandwiches are open faced. I thought the service here was fast and quite friendly. This place gets crowded fast and you will see every walk of life in here dining. We met a lovely woman who delivers fresh flowers to local businesses. She was kind enough to teach us some Dutch. Amsterdam can be very expensive, but this place has something for every budget. We ate 2 meals, a few beers and coffee for under 20 euro. If you want to experience local life,eat local healthy food, and get away from the tourists-
this is the place to go.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Adrie Y, Co-Owner at Eetcafe Singel 404, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you so much for responding, it's highly appreciated,

Norwich, United Kingdom
“great find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

stumbled across this quaint local cafe whilst searching for a good breakfast in amsterdam.
this was amazing!
friendly service and the food was so good we returned the next day
i would recommend this to any visitor wanting a taste of good wholesome local food.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for your positive respond!!
Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
“Singel 404 - Delicious!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Wow. What a great find! When staying in central Amsterdam, I've found that a good breakfast/brunch spot can mean a bit of a trek outside central - Not wanting to travel far, I was determined to find a good spot less than a mile from our airbnb.

After two disappointing mornings this past weekend of finding Gartine booked up, my partner and I wandered a little ways down the canals looking for someplace that would be serving a late brunch with a bit of a view.

Singel 404 looked unimposing, with a small seating area inside and some riverside tables across the road - the amount of local traffic coming through made us think it might be a good spot to check out for a noon brunch. And I'm so glad we did.

Drinks: Hands down the best fresh squeezed orange juice I've ever had. My only regret is not getting the large - definitely give it a try!

Coffee: After a couple disappointing coffee runs in other Amsterdam cafes, I was quite pleased with my black coffee

Food: Though a number of the sandwiches looked appealing, I decided to go for the Singel special - Eggplant, zucchini, fresh mozzarella, cucumbers, homemade pesto, tomatoes - etc. Immediately after ordering, I had major buyers remorse - why was I buying a sandwich for breakfast?! But wow, I'm so glad I did. The sandwich came out openfaced and loaded with veggies - and so incredibly delicious - perfectly done, there was an explosion of taste in every bite. My partner, on the other hand, had the fried eggs with tomatoes and bread - He too was totally smitten with his choice and for the first time ever we were both perfectly content to each go about having our own meals totally delighted with our picks.

Will definitely be looking to come back here next time we are in Amsterdam, a perfectly located brunch/lunch spot.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
we hope to see you again in the (near) future,
Zurich, Switzerland
“Now that's a cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Me and my friends were there during our graduation trip. We had been shopping for a long time and were tired and searching for a cafe in amsterdam which would serve some food. So when we asked a local persond he recommended this cafe. The cafe is organized on two floors and the food is absoluteley amazing. Not only is the choice big, but furthermore they accept personal wishes. When we were there we had a "Apfelkrümmeltaart with Slagroom" meaning an applecrumble with whipped cream. This was so amazing that one day later we ran all the way from the Van Gough museum to the Single 404 and then back to the heineken experience in order to be able to eat at this cafe eventough the teachers only gave us 1 1/2 hours lunch. Shorly said: this was our absolute favourite eetcafe in Amsterdam!

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thanks for taking the time to visit us twice and for writing about us,
hope to see you again,
Danville
“Great Place for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We had just finished private tour at noon and asked our guide for some local places to get a sandwich for lunch. She suggested 404 but noted that she had never eaten there herself. She had only heard comments from others.

Boy, does this place have great food! We got there about 12:15 on a Tuesday and the downstairs only had one table available next to the curtain that served as a door. We went to the back and asked if we could go upstairs and a girl nodded and pointed upstairs. So I guessed that they were now aware that there were 2 clueless Americans on the premises. We went upstairs and got a table overlooking the lower floor. There was a English menu already on the table. By the time a girl came up to take our order we were ready. I ordered #25 a BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo & avocado) and my wife ordered #27 (grilled chicken breast with avocado and yogurt-basil sauce). This was a great table because we could watch all the movement in the front part of the restaurant below us. The food was very tasty! We are in our 60s and don't eat a lot. My sandwich was large enough to split between the two of us. Since my wife was already in heaven over the yogurt-basil sauce that was on her chicken, I had to eat all of that sandwich myself because I certainly wasn't going to leave anything that good on my plate.

As we finished we noticed that there were now more people than there were tables inside. There were some people that had been seated outside and it had started to lightly rain and it drove them inside. The day we ate here was the end of 3 weeks of being in Europe and this restaurant had the same philosophy as most of the others - once you have your table, it is yours for as long as you want to sit there. Your server will not come and give you your bill unless you ask for it. Because we saw there were people waiting and we had finished eating, we left our table and went looking for our waitress. They seemed to recognize us and gave us our bill immediately. I would recommend this place to anybody.

Visited September 2013
Adrie Y, Co-owner at Eetcafe Singel 404, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Thank you so much for your nice review,