“Good food, understaffed” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Greenwoods

Greenwoods
Singel 103, 1012 VG Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)
020-6237071
Neighborhood: Dam Square
Melbourne, Australia
“Good food, understaffed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2015 NEW

We went for breakfast this morning, based on reviews. Got there at 9:00, not realising the sleepy Amsterdammmers don't get out of bed before 9:30. On returning at 9:35 the place was packed inside, so we resorted to a slightly chilly outside table. During our breakfast numerous others turned up to queue outside so it is certainly very popular.

Our order was slightly wrong but still frustratingly slow. Nevertheless the full English breakfast was delicious, perfectly cooked and accompanied with delightful soda bread toast. A nice strong pot of tea help warm us up.

Good food, slow service, worth a visit.

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“a quaint, very English tea-room in the heart of Amsterdam.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2015 NEW

This is one of my favourite cafés in Amsterdam. There are two locations, on the Singel and the Keizersgracht - both are small, and can fill up quickly, but a cosy, intimate atmosphere is part of their charm. If the weather allows, both have little pavement terrace looking onto the canal.
Breakfast is served all day (full breakfast - 2 eggs, bacon, sausage, fried potatoes, baked beans and the eggs Florentine are delicious. Burgers, quiches, soup. And not to forget the great cakes. The cheescake is probably the best I've tasted anywhere - thick and creamy. And the scones aren't bad either. The afternoon tea is fantastic value for money.
A pond of good quality coffee (fair trade) ensures this is a great place to while away time. Good, attentive, friendly service. The only downside - you might have to wait in line to get in.

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
“Seriously so good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2015 NEW

We visited Greenwoods two mornings in a row recently while we were on a short stay in Amsterdam. I ordered the eggs benedict which was a real treat for me, I get them all the time in Australia however I have yet to have a good eggs benny living in Mexico... It was honestly the BEST eggs benedict I have ever had!!! The hollandaise sauce was devine! I ordered again the following morning! My partner had the big breaky on both occasions and it was his first time having baked beans - he loved them! The staff were curtious and welcoming. The restaurant is small so try and go early or you can wait outside for a table, they have blankets to keep you warm. Cannot wait to come back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very Impressed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2015 NEW

I chose here for breakfast on my last day in Amsterdam, glad I checked the reviews.

Well worth the visit, the full english breakfast was just as good as back home.

Very highly recommended!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Bitter green tea but good breakfast ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2015 NEW

We arrived at rush hour, so we had to wait approx 20 minutes to get a table.
I had the eggs greenwoods with extra bacon and mushrooms, and I can assure that you won't leave the place hungry. They serve it with very filling and tasty home made soda bread. You definitely get value for your money.

One aspect is negative:
I ordered a big can of sencha green tea, which turned out extremely bitter because they used way to hot water and did not use any special filter to collect the leaves. I asked about the tea's temperature and the answer I had was "I don't know". I was disappointed of this experience considering they call themselves a tea room.