“Made me sorta glad the hotel didn't have breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Greenwoods

Greenwoods
Singel 103 | 1012 VG, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)
020-6237071
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 2,331 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: English, Tea Room
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery
Neighborhood: Dam Square
Atlanta, GA
“Made me sorta glad the hotel didn't have breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

Was staying in an atmospheric sort of hotel along Haarlemmerstraat that didn't include breakfast in the deal, so I walked the 10 minutes or so to check this place out, based on the Trip Advisor reviews. It would prove good enough to get three subsequent visits, plus one to the other location.

Smartest thing I did was get there for the 9:30 a.m. opening on all but one of the days. The place might seat 20-25 inside if fully loaded (weather was too chilly & drizzly for outside), so that's likely part of the angst for some. And, as everywhere, if there's a wave of orders you want to be toward the front rather than the back, as it can overload the servers and slow things down.

Sometimes you hit such a great menu item that you're confident something else on the menu can't beat it, and for me it was the eggs royale (benedict except salmon rather than ham, though they also have eggs benedict and it's good). That was 8-9 euros, with the grilled mushroom add-on at 1.20. Absolutely fantastic mix of flavors, all fresh-tasting. Can't recommend the eggs royale enough.

Every day I got a different pot of tea at 2.40 euros to wash the food down, and all were good (Earl Grey, Hapsang Souchong (sorry if I butchered that), jasmine, darjeeling, roiboos...all are served loose-leaf in a pot and poured through a strainer...very old school.

I got to peek at what others were ordering and it all looked good, from the English breakfast to the Muesli with fruit. I did try the apple crumble as a dessert one day and it was done up very well.

Wish I could have tried the high tea, but was always running around somewhere else during the hours. Dropped in on the Keizersgracht location once and snagged the last table. Their apple crumble wasn't quite as good as at Singel.

With the place as popular as it is, it's important to go early or go late or just try to avoid crowds. I knew, for example, that if I wanted to get seated on a weekend I needed to get there at opening. If you've got one or two people you might be able to wait it out or luck into something, but larger groups are tougher to seat. Service speed can be a problem at times as well if they get a surge of orders and/or are shorthanded. For many Dutch, especially on weekends, the meal's an event and not to be hurried, but of course tourists will have a different mindset.

For food quality and, to some extent, old-world atmosphere and certainly price, this is one not to be missed.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Nice breakfast !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was there everyday for my breakfast. Good food with reasonable price! Like it

The peoples there was nice and polite to ask for the feedback.

Thank you!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Let down from the moment we got there”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

I have been to Amsterdam several times, my most recent time was this past Monday, I went for just one night. I'd yet to have experience a quality full English breakfast and having looked at reviews online I was excited to visit Greenwoods. However, my experience was uncomfortable, when I arrived there were a number of people sitting outside, I walked inside only for everyone to stare at me like "what is he doing?" and then was rudely told that those people outside are before me in the queue. I wasn't aware of any queue when I arrived, and to be rudely informed like that wasn't nice, and I didn't stay.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Manchester UK
“Great for coffee and cake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Visited on the strength of a Tripadvisor review, whilst in Amsterdam.

Great location on the Singel. A small number of tables are located outside, giving waterside views (and also of the traffic). Unfortunately during our visit on a sunny afternoon they were all taken.

The narrow interior has seating for around 25. May feel a little cramped if full, but it is atmospheric.

As it was mid afternoon we ordered coffee and scones/cream. Both hit the mark perfectly. We observed many dishes/salads and cakes being served, all looked delicious.

A nice find with a good mix of clientele, without feeling touristy.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“Best breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

Delicious breakfast! And good value for money! Be aware, it's very small so it gets busy very fast. I got the open healthy sandwich with pesto and sun dried tomatoes, scrambled eggs and a cup of coffee while my girlfriend got the special omelette. Very tasty!!! Both of them. Recommended.