“More a hostel, ok to crash overnight but no frills” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel 83 Amsterdam

You added Hotel 83 Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel 83 Amsterdam
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Achterburgwal 83, 1012 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #204 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
North Yorkshire, England
“More a hostel, ok to crash overnight but no frills”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

I booked at this place because it was close to the workshop I was attending. It was clean where it mattered, in the bed, sink, toilet and bathroom though under the bed was best ignored. On checking in I was told that breakfast was 9-11. When I asked for an early breakfast because my workshop started at 0845 I was told it was not possible. I asked again on my way out the first morning and got the same reaction, though on the second day I was allowed to take some cereal in my own plastic box and bought some milk at the supermarket round the corner. The other gripe was that, being the first week in October and the weather windy and wet, the room was cold. I asked for the heating to be turned on but was told sorry, it was too early in the year. Fortunately the bed was warm once I got into it. Hotel 83 is slap bang in the middle of the red-light district but is totally respectable - you have to leave your key every time you go out to ensure it stays that way.
I'd say this place is ok if you want a place to crash after a night out and then get up late and go straight out again. If you want en-suite toilets and showers, tea and coffee making facilities or a TV in the room go somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here!! Guy on desk was friendly and funny! Good security felt safe as we were 2 sisters staying there. Breakfast not so great but that had no impact on us. Room was a great size and wet room for bathroom was good!! (Double room) but agree with the room needing a lick of paint it would make a huge difference - check this place out!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Hotel was perfectly placed- central to everything. It was clean and tidy. The private bathroom was superb. The memory foam bed was the best I've ever slept in! The continental breakfast was lovely as were the staff.
Loved the whole experience. We will be booking to go here again. I would highly recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I booked a double room on the 1st floor on the basis I read some reviews prior to booking this hotel, and the stairs were steep.( my partner has a serious back condition). So I sent an email to the hotel requesting a room on a lower level. I receviced an email advising we were placed on the 1st floor which meant only climbing 1 flight of stairs.
When we arrived at the hotel we were put on the 3rd floor. When I asked why we were not on the 1st floor we were advised they did have a room on the 1st floor but we would need to share the bathroom. This is not what we paid for and decided to stay on the 3rd floor. When we finally got to the room we were totally shocked to see the room looked like a bedsit and not a hotel. The room only had 2 single beds a wardrobe and 2 bedside tables. it had no tv, the bathroom was a wet room so if you had a shower the whole floor was soaked.
We were so upset at this point as we paid $315 euros for 3 nights.
The next morning when we went down to breakfast we were faced with 3 options of cereal or cold ham,cheese with bread. They didnt do toast as I did ask.
After finishing breakfast we asked the lady about the room situation, she had a look on her computer and she said she did have a room coming avaible on the 1st foor with its own bathroom. We were advised when we returned back from our day out in Amsterdam the room would be ready. We were advised to leave our luggage in the room and the staff will move it to the room on the 1st floor.
We were out around Amsterdam a good 6 hours to the then return back to the hotel and be told our room was ready. So we went to check out our new room. This was was the same as the room on floor 3 but this room had a tv and we had a double bed.
But the beds in our opinion needs changing as they are lumpy and the pillows are thin and offer no support.
This hotel is in the heart of the red light district its only 10 mins walk to central station.
Staff ( ladies) really pleasant. staff ( men ) RUDE/unhelpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Stayed 2 nights in this hotel, was in an excellent location close to everything. The place is family run and the service is excellent nothing was too much trouble.

Even though it's in the red light district it's safe and easy to find.

Has free wifi which is fast.

• Stayed September 2012
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We encountered a few difficulties with our reservation and on arrival after midnight to the hotel we were distraught to find that there had been an error through our booking service. This was dealt with by the staff very effectively though and I have never been so grateful for their understanding and helpful attitude towards the entirety of our group.

The hotel was lovely and had everything that we needed, clean sheets, all you can eat breakfast and a 24 hour reception. Yes the stairs were steep but for crying out loud- what do you expect?? Have you seen how tall and narrow buildings are in Amsterdam???? I miss it already.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel 83 Amsterdam? Share your experiences!