“Heart of Amsterdam” 4 of 5 stars

Best prices from these 6 sites
Save Saved
You added Hotel 83 Amsterdam to your Saves list
Hotel 83 Amsterdam
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Oudezijds Achterburgwal 83, 1012 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #206 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Owners/staff were very lovely. They were very nice and professional during phone conversations and emails before my stay.
They were extremely welcoming. I arrived hours before my check in time and they still offered me breakfast and let me wait for my room in their lounge area.
Clean towels every morning.
I always slept through breakfast so I cannot comment however while waiting for my room on my first day I saw around 10-15 people come down for breakfast and some had seconds so it must be okay.
When I was leaving they were still very kind. I did notice that some people got a second visit discount card but I wasn't offered one.

The room was nice.. It was very spacious, clean and had a TV. The carpet in the room should be removed and burned. with that in mind, bring slippers or something. Double bed was cosy, nice firm mattress with mattress protector.
The bathroom was AMAZING!!!!!!!!! Shower is very powerful and there was always hot water. I took a shower but it was so good I took a bath so I didn't have to get out so soon. Also the bathroom and toilet were very clean.

Great location. Close to everything.

Overall it is good value for money.

I would definitely recommend and come back again.

As a female travelling alone it was very safe. This hotel buzz everyone into the door which leads up to rooms.

Room Tip: I had room 102 which is a double room with a lovely private bathroom and toilet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

I was traveling with my husband on our 5 week Euro trip, and I didn't think this hotel was that bad as ppl say. Yes, one it's on the Red Light District, so expect partying, prostitutes and drugs to be the area. For god sake's there's a erotic store right below the hotel and Red Light windows 25m right and left of the hotel. The room was okay clean towels (daily) and sheets, newly reno-ed bathroom. Carpets are very dirty, you either need to wear slippers or bed in socks at all times. But the room doesn't have much, just a bed, closet, and table, and only one chair for some reason. No blow dryers, iron, tv, kitchenette or fans. Only really annoying thing is Church Bells, they go off every 15 mins starting from 7am to 11pm at night, yes you can hear them even if you close the windows.

But overall location was good, we didn't even take the train, the hotel is 8 mins from Central Station with luggage too. Amsterdam is very small walkable anywhere in 2-15 mins for attractions. Didn't try the breakfast cause of other reviewers. it was always 9-11am, odd time. Front desk person is there all the time 24/7, every guest has to buzzed in no matter what, safe location, just expect the hallways to smell a bit like majihuana sometimes.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

We stayed at Hotel 83 at the end of September as a group of friends. We had a brilliant time in Amsterdam and wanted to leave a balanced review as some of the reviews on here left us petrified about what we would find when we got there!

Location - Perfect, you could not get a better location for a fab weekend in the dam IF you plan on drinks, dancing, clubs etc. If you want a sophisticated base for the weekend, then dont stay here.

Room - the room was clean with fresh towels everyday, the beds were comfy and our view was right of the canal. Was the room basic, yes it was, did this matter? No not really. If you are out seeing the sights, eating nice food and drinking, you dont see much of the room anyway.

Hotel facilities - fine for what we needed. Shower, towels, beds, wifi, breakfast (which again was basic but great to line the stomach) perfect!!

Staff - we fund the guy on reception great fun. He has a dry sense of humour, agreed, but one wonders if people think he is rude, they may not have the greatest or varied sense of humour themselves.

In all, it was perfect for what we needed. Please dont be put off by all the reviews and remember the golden rule . . in a major city, if you pay £45 a night, dont expect The Ritz then complain when you dont get it. (We will be back) :)

Room Tip: Speak to the hotel directly, make sure you get a canal view!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

When we arrived there were people smoking in the reception area, where I am assuming that breakfast is served given that the breakfast cereal, jams etc were still out.. Soaking up all that smoke... Tabacco with breakfast anyone??
We checked in and went up to our room when we walked in the room was disgusting.. The floor had not been vacuumed for I would say NEVER... There was a cigarette butt under the heater and god only knows what else was on the floor. A place that I was not game to take off my shoes..
My husband and I decided that this palce was not for us and decided to leave. Luckily they had free wifi and we looked for another hotel.. We then looked at trip advisor to look at the reviews and in the 4 months since we had booked it, it had gone down he rankings quite dromatically..
We walked down and I checked out within 30 mins of cheching in.
If you are looking for a hotel with a brothel feel then this is the place for you.. If you are however looking for a nice hotel to stay at I would STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you do not come near Hotel 83..
Gven that we did not stay there I am marking everything to do with the hotel terrible.....

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Clackmannan, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

we stayed here for a guys weekend away & could not fault this place especially for the price you pay,(1) its in the middle of Red light district (2) Smoker friendly hotel (3) 10mins from train station (4) have your own private bathroom which most budget hotels dont have .(5) Free breakfast & clean towels daily,as for the guy on front desk yes he is a bit quirky but NOT nasty or unhelpfull.Overall we lads really enjoyed this hotel for cheapness, location & overall cleaness & we would not hesitate in coming back if its still legal by then "haha" come on holland sort this out please,it would be such a shame to spoil the toking for all .

Room Tip: book direct from hotel to get the room requested
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Milan, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

Hotel 83 proved to be an expensive and an average hotel with minimum facilities. Right in the center of the district so lot of activities going around. The male staff was a rude man, raising his eyebrows and giving hard times. The stairs is so narrow that it would barely allow you to take your luggage up. Despite of having private bathroom facility, I was provided with the shared one and this annoyed me a lot. After having the the tour of the district and hardly an ample amount of sleep, I left the hotel early in the morning. Will not consider it as an option in future.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel 83 Amsterdam? Share your experiences!