“An absolutely lovely, convenient, charming little hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Allure

You added Hotel Allure to your Saves list
Hotel Allure
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Sarphatistraat 117-119, 1018 GB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)   |
Special Offer
Book with discount!
Ranked #120 of 306 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Istanbul, Turkey
“An absolutely lovely, convenient, charming little hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2011

I stayed here for six wonderful nights in March 2011. The classic narrow hotel was formerly an apartment building. It's tucked away in a mostly residential block, but is easy to find because of the deep red painted doorway. My room was on the 3rd floor (301) & had a slightly sloping wall near the head of the bed. The room was cheerfully & tastefully decorated with more touches of deep red. Although smallish (by American standards) it included nice touches such as a desk, extra chair, wardrobe, wall hooks for jackets, a mini-fridge, hot pot with coffee/tea supplies, an electronic combination safe, wall mounted tissue boxes, and a full length mirror. There's also a telephone and color TV in the rooms.

The hotel steps are small and narrow, but thankfully the elevator works well. You must however navigate the narrow front steps to enter the buliding. Fire safety equipment was located right outside my room door. I had a compact but efficiently designed private bathroom with a shower stall. My bed was quite comfortable. The water pressure was great, no waiting for hot water. I could open the windows for fresh air, & there was an efficient radiator for heating the room to my taste. The walls were thick enough that I usually didn't hear the other guests, unless they talked loudly right outside my door. My room was scrupulously clean upon check-in, and the cleaning woman comes daily to keep it that way.

Wi-Fi was available in the building for a fee using a CARD Hot Spot , mine cost 12 Euros for 10 hours. The connection was always strong in my room, and you can buy more time from the desk staff.

I found the location both very safe & convenient. As a single woman alone I felt completely comfortable walking back to Hotel Allure at 3:30 in the morning. There are always people walking & biking on Sarphatistraat. There are both subway & trolley stops about 1 block away. You can also walk to Rembrandtsplein for shopping, restaraunts, and bars, in about 15-20 minutes. The Hermitage museum is also within walking distance. It only takes about 15 minute to get to the Central Train Station on the subway, and you can go all the way to the airport using public transportation if you want to save the 52 Euro taxi fee. My only surprise was that the hotel doesn't really seem to be located in the Jordaan district as I thought it was. You must take a trolley to get to Jordaan - which is a great strolling, shopping, dining area.

Breakfast was served in a lovely, sunny room with deep red bankettes. Although the same food was on offer each morning it included plenty of healthy fare. There was always cheese, cold cuts, croissants, crusty rolls, sweet rolls, cereal, milk, juice, and
2-3 kinds of fresh fruit. They had a one cup at a time coffee machine, which gives you about 8 choices of coffees or hot chocolate. Breakfast hours were genrously extended to about 11:00 am, if I remember correctly. A snack & drink machine was available for late night munchies.

The front desk was staffed 24 hours a day. I found Zi-Jian and all the other staff to be friendly, welcoming, quietly professional, and helpful. They were able to explain the public transportation system to me, & give accurate directions to wherever I wanted to go. Although I didn't use the service, you can also book tours through the front desk, numerous brochures were available for Amsterdam & greater Holland sightseeing. When I checked out at 5:00 am they able to give me cash from my debit/credit card and got me a taxi for the airport within 5 minutes for a smooth departure. It only took about 15 minutes to get to the airport during early morning hours. LOVED Hotel Allure and loved Amsterdam! Will come and stay again next trip.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is quiet but lower floors may be roomier
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review. We are indeed not located in the Jordaan district as this is to the other side of Amsterdam but it can be easily reach by public transport (tram 10).

I have forwarded on your comments to the excellent team I am proud to have at the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards,

Yi-heng

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

We would really recommend staying at Hotel Allure. We stayed for 3 nights and found the hotel to be very clean, in a great location (2 metro stops from anywhere in the city - 5-10 mins max to get in) and the staff so helpful and friendly. The breakfast was really delicious and a free computer is provided. Seriously good value for such a great spot. We stayed in one of the basement rooms which we found to be perfect for us - there is a window and the room is of adequate size. The shower could do with a little clean behind the door but this was the only tiny thing we could find fault with. The room otherwise was very clean. Towels were a little thin but we didn't expect anything super luxurious so this hotel exceeded our expectations. Gjin and Ian were so lovely and helped us out with restaurants and transport. Really a great place!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time. I am very happy that you had a great stay in our hotel.

In the future we will take good notice of the cleaning behind the shower doors.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

Nice 3-star hotel a little outside the city centre. It's about 30 mins walk from downtown with good public transport connections. The rooms are up to date and very clean, and the staff are helpful and friendly. The area is quiet residential.

I stayed in one of the downstairs rooms (22) which was rather stuffy in the summer.

One gripe, wireless internet is relatively expensive. It should be free in a small place like this.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We have been looking into the wireless internet prices and have reduced the rates. We are looking into the possibility to make the wireless internet free in the future.

Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2010

We originally had reservations at a hotel called QBic by the World Trade Center, we wanted to stay close to Schipol since we were just passing through for the night. Upon check-in they inform us that our reservation was lost and they are completely booked up. The were nice enough to recommend Hotel Allure who had availability but was closer to central Amsterdam. We were nervous about going to a hotel sight unseen, but boy was it a pleasant surprise. The hotel is only 1 block away from the metro, it's 2 stops from Central AMS Station which was great. The room was modern, clean, and exceeded all expectations. We had a lovely balcony to view the street and the reception was friendly too. There was a computer in the lobby that had free wi-fi access and breakfast was included. For 72 Euro, it was absolutely amazing. We were going back to Amsterdam in two weeks and wanted to stay there again, unfortunately they were booked solid.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your kind review. Sorry that we couldn't offer you our services when you returned.

I would like to recommend to make a reservation in advance to avoid disappointment in the future.

Zagreb
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I am writing this review hoping it would help somebody (just as I hope to find helpful advice regarding hotels in New York for my next travel). It really depends what you are looking for - but this is a small yet very nice and clean hotel with friendly, helpful staff. Location is also very good. Not the heart of the city but close enough to reach it on foot. My boyfriend and I would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words and the recommendation.

Kind regards,

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

Hotel Allure was clean, safe, quiet and warm...just what I wanted for my 3 day trip to Amsterdam. The hotel is in the University precinct in the city, and is only 5 minutes walk to the metro (underground) and 3 stops from Centrum (less than 10 minutes train ride). A 20 minute walk had you at Lizaplein eating district, walking right past several of the main museums. The staff were very friendly, and polite. I had a great stay, and would stay there again, recommending it to anyone wishing to stay a little out of the hustle and bustle of downtown Amsterdam, yet close to the main attractions.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for your kind review.

Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

I stayed here because I needed to be in this neighbourhood but the city centre is accessible. It was really clean - newly renovated. I found the staff friendly and helpful. There was no traffic noise at the back but you could here anyone talking outside the room so I wouldn't recommend a ground floor room.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
yiheng, Owner at Hotel Allure, responded to this review, December 16, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your positive review.

Kind regards,

Owner

Been to Hotel Allure? Share your experiences!