“Cost effective” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Van Gogh

Save Saved
You added Hotel Van Gogh to your Saves list
Hotel Van Gogh
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van de Veldestraat 5, 1071 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Vincent Van Gogh Hotel Amsterdam) (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #117 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Cost effective”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

Myself and 5 friends visited in late February for 5 nights and shared a dorm room. The dorm room was fairly spacious and very clean, each of the 6 beds had clean sheets and mattress' weren't bad either! The bathroom was lovely, with a huge walk in shower, however this became an issue with 6 of us using it on a daily basis it become damp smelling. Each bed had its own safe which you could program with your own code and use to store valuables in, very handy when you're in a foreign country. It cost us roughly 600 Euros for our visit, which we believe was good value for money, considering some of the other options available for a similar price. Would definitely consider using it again if we visited.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I choose this hotel based on how easy it seemed to get to and it was. I was travelling alone and had one night in the city so I needed something easy and safe.
My room was quiet and clean. Surprisingly large, decent size wardrobe, a safe, updated bathroom, window looked out on the backgardens of houses nearby.
I had the breakfast the next morning downstairs, it was simple and great. €5 if you pay the night before, if you do not pre pay it will cost you €6.50 the next morning.
It's on the 2 and 5 tram line and across the street from the Van Gogh Museum, great for landmark reference. There is a grocery store a 5 minute walk away to pick up snacks or a meal or beer. There is great shopping a few minutes walk away.
There is a hostel connected to the hotel but it has a separate entrance and the guests seemed to keep to themselves.
If you plan to go to the Van Gogh museum buy your tickets ahead of time and go early. The line was two hours long to get in and the Anne Frank House line was longer.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Excellent location (with easy access to public transportation and near to the Museumplein and Leipseplein), excellent dorms (confortable beds and average size), excellent breakfast (good quality and variety, good value of the money), wifi in the dorms, staff not very friendly.

Room Tip: The rooms of the column 12 (apts. 312 and 412) are very quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

My friend and I had a horrible hostel experience in Paris so for this euro trip that we're on we decided to pay a little more for comfort. We didn't want to pay as much as Hotel/Hostel Van Gogh charged, but availability and location wise, it was our best option. The price was the only downside, Saturday was €42 and Sunday was €20 for a mixed 8-person en suite dorm. However, the hostel is impeccably clean, staff is nice, and breakfast is great. There's no lockers, but each room has a safe that you program yourself, perfect for passports, visas, cameras, etc. The shower was amazing, something about the shower head and just how nice the whole bathroom is, it's wonderful. The beds are really comfortable, my friend and I slept well both nights, and I was even on the top bunk. I had no issues of the bed creaking when I moved, or any other weird bunk bed issues I've had at other hostels. Also, the hostel gives you nice towels that can actually cover your body, and a maid will bring fresh ones in every day. Now breakfast; breakfast was €5 extra per day when we paid for booking on top of our reservation fee, but I would say it was worth it. Full coffee machine that can make you anything from macchiatos and cappuccinos to just a regular cup of joe. There were probably 4 or 5 kinds of bread, fresh and delicious fruit, multiple spreads, yogurt, cereal, multiple types of juice, and then the usual cheeses and meats to choose from. All in all, loved this hostel and would recommend it to anyone who has the funds.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

If you are looking for someplace affordable, clean, w charming little touches, modern bathroom, in great location, with very helpful staff, this is the place for you. One of the few caveats for some people : we stayed in room 206 I think, in front of building...there is a school across the shared courtyard & when the kids come out for recess, of course they can be loud for a few scattered hours here & there, like around 10 am and then again in afternoon I think ? But for me, I don't mind the sound of children playing at all, I think it's sweet & fun & they were absolutely darling ...drawing pictures on the stone courtyard with colored chalk, etc. Plus, you're not going to be hanging out in hotel room all day...it was no big deal for me. Anyway ...the staff was very pleasant and helpful, one nite we wanted to order takeout and Joshua at the front desk gave us a website address to check out, all the local places that will deliver...very nice!! We ordered from great Thai restaurant, I can't remember name tho. There is also a vending machine in lobby, snacks & drinks & another one for different electronic things, adapters etc I think. But for 10 euro security deposit, the hotel will lend u one...u get your $ back when u check out. They also will do laundry, 9.5 euro I think per load of clothes.... Another nice amenity...& Also a ton of info on guides & tours offered by local operators . The beds are soooo comfy I couldn't believe it. I mean divine. The shower had great pressure and temp, very nice...except that it can overflow out from under the bottom of glass shower door a bit, so need to put a towel on floor beforehand., no biggie. Also careful of the horizontal pipe when water is hot, it gets very hot to touch..you'll know what I mean when u see it. It would be very nice if they upgraded their towels, they were very harsh and scratchy. Didn't jive with lovely shower ... Also, if they provided a flat sheet on the bed instead of just fitted sheet then comforter, that would be better. But like I said, the bed was crazy comfy...I meant to check mfr before we left but forgot : ( let's see...location was poifect for us, you are a stones throw from Van Gogh museum & Rembrandt , stedeljik...(which u should visit, de Kooning & Picasso & Chagall & pollack, Etc...wow! Great modern museum w excellent restaurant. Also make sure to get an I Amsterdam pass, it was so worth it..many museum entries free, tram is free, free canal ride etc...go online & check out options) but the hotel is in pretty quiet area , no craziness at nite . There is a tour info operator right down street. The tram lines #5 & #2 will drop u off right down the street , boom. It was a
great experience and I would
definitely stay at hotel Van Gogh
again

• Stayed March 2014
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Stayed here for a week in late March. Rooms are very modern with accurately described features. Breakfast was good for €5 all you can eat and lots of facilities. Downsides are that the communal area is more breakfast room, no real atmosphere and manager is a bit rude. If you're on a budget there is no real kitchen facilities, just a fridge, kettle and microwave but there is a big supermarket 2 minutes walk away.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reykjavik, Iceland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

We came as a group of 24 university students and stayed for 3 nights and the Van Gogh hotel.
The pros and cons about the hostel/hotel:
Pros:
-Its extremely clean, housekeeping does a great job with cleaning the rooms and you always get a fresh towel (not a given at hostels)
-Tidy bathrooms
-Comfortable beds
-Decent breakfast
-Great location (easy to take the trams located on the street behind the hostel anywhere)
-Security boxes in each room (great for passports and wallet safekeeping)
-Awesome vending machines (both for food/sweets/drinks and another for tourist stuff, such as adapters, shampoo)

Cons:
-Some of the rooms were a bit too small for 6 people to fit in, no walking space, not space for luggage.
-No common toilet outside the rooms except in the lobby, one toilet per room for groups is insufficient.
-Not all reception staff were welcoming, didn't talk much or interact. There was one gentleman that was extremely helpful when it came to booking taxis for the group and general information, he was very pleasant as well as all the breakfast staff.
-No bar/ communal area for guests

All in all we were very happy with our stay. I myself work at a hostel so I'm kind of passive when it comes to critique however we really enjoyed our short stay, its a tidy hostel with a prime location. I would recommend it :).

Room Tip: Some group rooms are smaller then others, ask for the bigger ones if traveling with a large group. W...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Van Gogh? Share your experiences!