“From the photos was all ok but....” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Van Gogh

Save Saved
You added Hotel Van Gogh to your Saves list
Hotel Van Gogh
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van de Veldestraat 5, Amsterdam 1071, The Netherlands (Formerly Vincent Van Gogh Hotel Amsterdam) (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #120 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Tegna, Ticino, Switzerland
“From the photos was all ok but....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

We where a Group, and from the photos it semed quite good as an hotel. When we got there the first thing we saw was a mice, then we found some blood on a bad and dirty socks under an other.
The food was all frozen and a morning I and my friends saw the person who was in the kitchen gathering some bread that was fallen from the floor.

And all this considering that we were paying 50 a night each so 50 x 6 = 300 a night for the room !

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

336 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Polish first
Sterling, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Right across the street from the Van Gogh Museum alright, and just a couple blocks back up the road from the Van Barlesraat stop on the #2 tram down from Centraal Station. My Small Single was indeed the tiniest room I've ever known, but it had upgrades (flat screen tv, thermostat, several electrical outlets) that bigger, more expensive rooms I've stayed in, have not had. Tiny bathroom but fabulous upgrades there as well, all shiny and chrome and tiles that are spanking clean. The mattress did seem to like sliding off towards the floor, for some reason, and the wifi was out for half the one day I was there, but once they got a new router installed everything tech-wise was good to go. I don't know what the larger rooms or communal, hostel rooms are like, but for single travelers the small singles can't be beat for good value in a central Amsterdam location. Oh, and the 5euro pre-paid breakfast buffet is a good value for the money too, although convenience had a lot to do with that decision.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Lisboa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed in the Hostel Van Gogh for 4 nights. It has a great location, it's comfortable, young and modern. I guess the price is adjusted to the city and the quality.
However, some of the staff is completely misfit. When we arrived the chinese (?) men didn't talk/help us, only he finished whatever he was doing he spoke. Than, a blond, thin girl was reaaaaally rude with us, not looking in the eyes, looking upset and then telling us something like "but don't you hear when I'm talking?!" - just because we gave her the wrong money.
Well, if you forget about the staff, this hostel is a good choice. However, for me, their antipathy spoiled the beggining of my trip.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Really good value for money, clean rooms comfortable and had everything you needed. Staff were helpful and spoke many different languages felt very relaxed and safe, such a good location for museums. For the price it was better than I expected which is why I thought it would be useful to write a review.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a stag do last weekend and was surprised it was much nicer than I was expecting as was told it would be a hostel. It's not quite what I'd expect if I stayed in a hotel either, but It's very good for the price and location in a nice area.

Dreaded the worst staying in dorms with my fellow stags but was pleasantly surprised at the standard and comfort. Although we were told not to eat or drink in the rooms as they said they don't want to attract rats (implies they have some?!)

Continental breakfast was average -nothing special but filled a hole.

Service from front desk was quite bad, the guy in particular was anal and clearly annoyed a few guests. There was free WiFi but it took us all am hour to connect for some reason, plus we kept losing connection. In all it was very good for what I was expecting, if I was backpacking or stagging it again I'd use this place, but I wouldn't come for a romantic or even business break that's for sure.

• Stayed September 2013
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Location in the museum quarter is convenient and within walking distance of central Amsterdam and other areas in the south part of the city. Clean room. Very steep stairway (but there is also an elevator). We arrived using bus #197 from the airport, as indicated on the hotel's web site. However, we found the bus to be inhumanely crowded at the time of day we arrived (~14:00). In fact, the first bus that came by at the airport was so full that we could not get on, and we had to wait for the next one. It too was horribly crowded, and riding packed in with our suitcases was very unpleasant. The ride back to the airport the following morning was fine, as we caught the 6:00 bus, too early for the crowds. It is more like a 5-10 minute walk from the Museumplein bus stop to the hotel, not 2 minutes, like the hotel's web page says, at least if you are carrying suitcases. Nevertheless, the hotel was a good place to stay as a stopover place for us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Van Gogh? Share your experiences!