“Nice looking 'Hotel' but revolting service! Bed bugs! Dont stay here.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Van Gogh

You added Hotel Van Gogh to your Saves list
Hotel Van Gogh
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Van de Veldestraat 5, 1071 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Formerly Vincent Van Gogh Hotel Amsterdam) (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #136 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Perth, Australia
“Nice looking 'Hotel' but revolting service! Bed bugs! Dont stay here.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2011

This hotel is not really a hotel, but not really a hostel either! When we booked our confirmation said 'hostel van gogh' but we arrived to find out it was really a hotel - so no hostel atmosphere whatsoever!

Dont be fooled by the appearance of the hotel. It looks great but the staff at the front counter are incredibly rude and unhelpful. I do not recommend staying here, particularly if you are a backpacker looking to make friends.

We found bed bugs in our dorm on our second night and it was handled incredibly poorly. After informing the staff, we were told to vacate the room and that we wouldnt be given any form of reiumbursement, despite not having a room to stay in for TWENTY HOURS! We were paying to stay in a private room at the hostel but had to move all our luggage into luggage storage until they sorted themselves out! My friend and i were incredibly distressed and after finding blood stains on our clothing we had to argue with hotel management to have our clothes cleaned at their expense. Finally after a day of being homeless we were moved to a dorm, and were told that we wouldnt recieved reiumbursement for the difference in price between a dorm and private room (was a considerable difference!)

I would NOT STAY HERE. Also, please note that they didnt get a pest controller in to treat the bugs, they only changed the sheets - which makes me question the hygeine practices of staff at the hotel.

DONT STAY HERE. It ruined our stay in Amsterdam.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
Cologne, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

I stayed there for one night. I had a bed in a mixed-gender room with other five people. I was surprised that the room was bigger than I thought and the toilet and shower place was quite tidy. The equipment looks like the ones in normal hotels but not for hostels.

I like the lobby and the wide communication area. I used free WIFI there and checked information in the evening. The next day, I had breakfast which is 5 EUR for all you can eat. The variety of bread is okay. I have nothing to complain.

In sum, I had nice experience staying there.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

The location of the hostel is very good. Down a street opposite the Van Gogh museum, with a clear sign for the hostel. The staff were very helpful, we had to change rooms (because of other guests) and it was sorted out very easily. The rooms themselves were incredibly clean and modern. I stayed in a 6 bed dorm. The beds were comfortable, each guest had their own individual safe, there was a full length mirror and coat hooks, a desk, chairs and a large flat screen TV. There was one bathroom for the entire dorm, I though this may cause problems in larger rooms as the shower and toilet were in the same room. I shared with 6 people and found it worked out fine. We had breakfast at the hotel every morning, it was 5 euros and there was bread, pastries, meat, cheese, fruit, and a variety of hot and cold drinks. You could eat as much as you wanted, it was good quality and constantly restocked. The internet was free, which was great, but there were only 2 computers for the whole hostel. There are bike racks outside the hostel so if you rent bikes you can lock them up nearby. I wouldn't stay here if I was alone as it wasn't a very social place, and didn't have any places to meet people. It definitely felt more like a hotel than a hostel. It suited me though as I was with a friend and we had a great stay here!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Trefnant
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

Stayed in this hostel for three nights in August 2011. It is in a quiet part of the city in the heart of the museum, park and shopping areas (shops were too up market for us but it was nice to window shop though). Rooms were clean and of a high standard with TV, air con, toilet and shower, with free individual digital safes and wi-fi. Dont feel the need to travel all the way to Dam Square. If you walk through the Holland Casino area next to the Hard Rock Cafe you get to a lively area with good bars (The Last Waterhole) and places to eat ( De Blauwe Hollander) - Have fun!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

I stayed here for four nights and didn't sleep once. The hotel is very noisy, most of the other guests stayed in their rooms drinking all night. The walls are very thin so you can hear everything that is going on two floors below. They leave the front door open all night but don't check that the people coming in are staying in the hotel, so anybody can walk in. I didn't like this because they don't provide lockers in the rooms. There's a shelf to put your clothes on but that's it.

On my last night I went to the desk to see if I could get a private room to try and get some sleep. There was a group of Americans checking in ahead of me and I heard them being told that two of them would have to share a single bed for the night because the hotel was full. When they said they had a confirmed booking they were told it's hotel policy to overbook.

All the staff on the front desk were very helpful and nice except for the Asian guy that works during the day. I asked him how much a tram into the city centre would cost and this seemed to annoy him greatly.

Also, the lift doesn't work and like most Amsterdam hotels the stairs are steep. If you have a lot of luggage it might be a struggle to get it up them.

The hotel's in a good location, but there are much nicer places near museumplein for around the same price.

Room Tip: Stay in a different hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

I came across this hotel by accident as my first preference was booked and I want a clean room, this is just renovated.
The hotel is in a perfect location for my purpose - visiting museums. You can take tram 2 or 5 and get off at Van Gogh Museum stop then walk a couple minutes. It is across from Hotel Fita.
when I first arrived I thought it has a more hostel vibe. Indeed the hotel has a hostel on one side and hotel on the other side and they shared front desk and dining facility. When I was there it was quiet and I got a good night sleep. I reserved a twin room just because I know how small hotel room size can get in Amsterdam. My twin room was simply furnished with a 32 inch flat panel TV. The room was a slightly bigger than 2 beds so if you have a lot luggage this may be a problem. The bathroom was brand new also, clean with a big shower. - better than a 4 stars hotel I stayed.

The check in process was a bit slow as the receptionist was new. I like the fact that WIFI is free and throughout the hotel. They also have 2 computers for you to use. Hotel charges 5 euro for breakfast which I think it's a good value in Amsterdam.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2011

I booked a room at this hostel for one night and when I arrived the booking was made for the previous day. This was completely my fault and I would not normally write a review over this however how the staff handled the situation deserves mentioning. I waited in line for 15 minutes while the Asian male clerk handled an irate traveler in front of me. During this time he talked down to another staff member (Indian Female) which I thought was very rude. When it was my turn to check in he looked at the dates said I was late handed me back my paperwork and said in a snobby tone 'you late, you card already charged, goodbye.' In my brief moment that I was there and what they will not tell you on their website is there is a pre-school across from the front door with kids running and screaming during the day hours and the hostel is under construction. Just worth mentioning. I also found another hostel (Anne Marie) that was close by and the staff was awesome.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Van Gogh? Share your experiences!