“Good, basic hotel room. Fantastic location.” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Bellington
P.C. Hooftstraat 78-80, 1071 CB Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Museumplein)   |
Ranked #259 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Los Angeles, California, United States
“Good, basic hotel room. Fantastic location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

When my husband, 3 young daughters and I arrived in Amsterdam (Summer 2007) to discover that our travel agent had goofed and booked us in a hotel that was no longer in existence (it had been demolished, according to neighbours), the Bellington took us in with absolutely no notice. No, it was not the one bedroom apartment we had booked, but we had a clean room, enough beds, television, a small refrigerator and a private bathroom. Our room was small, simple, no frills, but it served our purpose beautifully. The free breakfast was lovely, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the location was much better than the room we had originally booked out in the suburbs. We loved being within walking distance of Museumplein, Vondelpark, Max Euweplein, trams, restaurants and shops. In the end, we were thrilled that we ended up at the Bellington, instead of the room we had originally booked. We had a wonderful action-packed 10-day adventure in Amsterdam that remains the best family vacation we have ever had.

Room Tip: We found this to be a good, very basic room. If you are looking for something fancy, this might not...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Quezon City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Very hospitable family. Michel (manager) was very helpful in giving tips and directions on places to eat, sites to visit, best transportation etc. Complimentary buffet breakfast was also good with enough choices from cereals, breads, cold cuts, eggs, coffee, a wide variety of teas, orange juice and some fruits. The only small drawback is the narrow and steep staircases which elderly and physically challenged people would have difficulty in climbing as the hotel is located in the 2nd floor since the ground floor are high value commercial spaces of boutiques. Very good value for money

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Rishon Lezion, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I just back from Amsterdam, and want to say that hotel perfect for travels that need good bad, clean shower & toilet. Very nice, friendly helpful owners(Family from Japan), very good location and very acceptable price.
One problem, its a stairs, I have a problem with my back and I cant take my luggage up stairs, and if you don't know, I can explain in most hotels in Amsterdam very high stairs I think its approximate 95-100 degrees, and if you girl, and you have heavy luggage (my was 22 kg) it will be a problem. But still I ask owners to help me, and they take my language up stairs to our room. So what can I say, I am 27 y.o, from Israel and hotel is nice. Good Luck:)

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
NYC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2010

The first and last time we booked a room online it had to be the Bellington. Upon arrival we had to climb a Mt. Everest staircase just to get to the check-in desk. We were shown up another steep staircase to our room which I wouldn't have stayed in as a backpacker years before. There were actual holes in the bathroom and bedroom walls with exposed wiring. The room was dark and dank. We asked for another room which they "didn't have." We asked for a refund which they "refused." They would rather have your money right then rather than offer any customer satisfaction. We left immediately and took the loss.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

The only really good thing about this hotel was the location. The room was tiny and not very clean. Also, the reception and breakfast room were in the next house, so to get there from your room you had to go downstairs to the street, enter next door and go up steep stairs again (not very confortable). Breakfast was OK though. Next time I'm in Amsterdam I'll definitely look for something better.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
minneapolis
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

Location is in a high end shopping area in the museum district, but the hotel is not worth the money. The room was not clean, no AC, and construction started at 4 am on the roof and on the streets. The jack hammers did not stop. It was one of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bellington? Share your experiences!