“Hmmm” 3 of 5 stars

Slotermeerlaan 131, 1063 JN Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #141 of 189 Specialty Lodging in Amsterdam
“Hmmm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Abit ruff and ready, there was a corner shower which did not fit the position where it was located and made it difficult to access, the shower rail was coming out at the top and had been bodged up with silicone, the bathroom light was dim, felt like a 20w bulb, the shower must have been leaking as the wall on the other side was all lets say funky, and had just been papered and painted over, other than this it was ok

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed here last 2011, When I arrived the key wouldn't fit in the door after 3 and a half hours later and the clerk yelling over the counter I finally got in.
He wouldn't refund my money, get a manger or even call the police. He told me to throw away the key after my stay as it wasn't working anymore.

I left a few hours later with no refund no manger no number and no where to stay.

Not even to say it is not close to the center and what seems to be a very rough area. The room was dirty and over priced as it hadn't be cleaned since the building was built.

I would never recommend anyone to stay here ever.

Left in tears with no where to stay and no money. Not my idea of a holiday

Room Tip: Don't book with this "hotel"
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Kingussie, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights between the 10-13th October 2012..I arrived after 10pm and have to say my 1st impressions werent favourable..The night staff were not very friendly. I was tired and it was late and all I wanted was to sleep. However the morning team where great, very attentive and helpful...My room, I must say although sleeping up to 6 women was empty except for one other lady..The beds were clean and fresh and the shower was better than some hotels Ive stayed in..Breakfast was included in the £61.26 price and was just the ticket to start the day.The coffee and continental fayre was amazing.It was some distance from the main city centre, but for me it wasnt a problem..I took the tram then spent the days site-seeing only returning for sleep..I will definately be staying again..Great price...

Room Tip: If your travelling alone male or female..Make sure you book a single sex room..
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Bedford
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We arrived in the dark and found it a bit tricky to find the place so would recommend getting some directions before you arrive! The location could be better but was only a 10/15 tram ride from the centre and the trams come regularly and are quite cheap so it wasn't a massive problem. We got a taxi back late at night and we split the cost between 4 of us so was reasonable.
The rooms and bedding were clean though the bathroom did smell of stale smoke, even so it seemed clean enough.
The breakfast was great, loads of choice. Its a 5 minute walk to the supermarket which was also handy.
The staff were friendly and helped us with directions and booked us a taxi to the station.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

The location of this place is just terrible! To get transportation downtown its hard and buses only come every 10 mins. It Not to mention the cramped rooms and the filthy toilets. The staff wasn't very helpful(not even sure if they even notice we were there) and somewhat rude too.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Peterborough, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

The location was very far from everything. The hostel looks very nice from the outside and has an old wooden staircase. The room was very cramped and the 10 beds didn't leave a lot of room for anything else. The beds were not comfy and the top bunks sagged down to the point of making us nervous.

The breakfast was fantastic. It had everything from lunch meat and cheese to eggs and toast. By far the best breakfast I had had during my whole trip.

The other people staying (they were living in some rooms long term) at the hostel were very sketchy. So make sure you keep to yourself if you stay here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

As a group of 6 girls looking for a party weekend in Amsterdam. We found the hostel had pretty much all we required. The dorm was clean and tidy and the beds had clean bedding. Breakfast was good apart from the build up of dirty plates on a centre table which was a bit offputting maybe need an extra pair of hands for cleaning in the food hall or invest in a trolley to put dirty plates on.. The location isnt great for nightlife as getting back at 3am from the centre is a bit tricky and expensive with taxi but shared between 6 0f us not so bad. There is a tram stop right outside which takes you direct to centre and the reception staff told us where we had to get off. It is quite a long journey though. We knew this when booking though and as we booked for Queens day we were limited to our choice of hostels due to evreywhere being fully boked.If i was going to party for Queens day again i would book earlier to get somewhere more central but if i was just passing through or coming as a tourist to see the attractions of Amsterdam then I would definitly stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hostel Slotania? Share your experiences!