“Unnecessary rude service! ” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kooning van Siam

Kooning van Siam
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 42, 1012 GE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District (De Wallen))
(020) 623 72 93
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,221 of 2,579 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Amsterdam
“Unnecessary rude service! ”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

My husband and I walked past this restaurant on our way to our hotel, we weren't very hungry so we thought something small to share would be enough.
We walked into an empty restaurant, sat down and the man brought the menu. We decided to order something to share as planned. When I told him him we just want to share something small he replied 'we don't do that' I said, 'oh really? We are just not very hungry' to which he said 'then don't eat!'.

We just got up and as we were leaving he said to us 'there is plenty of €7 wok places around!' We said to him there was no need to be rude, but he just didn't care a bit!

I just can't believe that I found on trip advisor a review for this place with a very similar story from 2 years ago!!

How can a place like this can still be open?!

Lincoln, United Kingdom
“A surprise in the red light district”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stumbled across this Thai whilst in the red light district. Nothing to say but praise. We both had green Thai curry- one Tofu, the other chicken.

The flavours were absolutely delicious. Chicken was mainly thigh meat so beware of that's not your want. More rice than you could possibly eat and a delicious bottle of Burgandy coming in under €60 for 2.

As a heathen my boyfriend was disappointed there were no prawn crackers . However top tip from him... Always wash your hands after eating hot chilli (ow!)

Would go back... Definitely

New Haven, Connecticut
“Awesome food, suspect service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

#1, the food was great! This place goes down as one of the best Thai Restuarants that I've ever eaten at. #2, the location. On Oudezijds Voorburgwal your right in the mix of any and everything. #3, not crazy about the service. The waiter that we had was extremely indifferent towards us with rubbed me the wrong way. Outside of that, I had no other complaints.

I would advise anyone in town in the mood for Thai to stop through and grab a bite. Hopefully, you receive better service that we did.

• Visited June 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Texas
“Great fresh Thai food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014 via mobile

Quaint little white tablecloth place. Food was very fresh and delicious with large portions and ok service. Mint tea was awesome on a cool evening.

Visited April 2014
Moscow, Russia
“Best Thai food ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We were lucky to accidently walk into this restaurant as we got hungry. I must say this must have been the best meal my husband and I ever had anywhere. Very authentic! You can see your meal being prepared and how clean the kitchen is. The only thing that was not great was the wine, but we did not go for the expensive one. Strongly recomment the 28euro seafood main with fish, calamary, shrimp and crad baked together - extremely delicious and quite a large portion, as all their mains, enough for two paople.

• Visited March 2014