“Authentic Thai dinner” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kooning van Siam

Kooning van Siam
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 42, 1012 GE Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)
(020) 623 72 93
Neighborhood: Red Light District
Mumbai
“Authentic Thai dinner”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

Had a craving for Thai dinner on my last day in Amsterdam and choose the Kooning van Siam after reading Trip advisor reviews. This is a very tiny restaurant located along Voorburgwal canal near the RLD. The ground floor has probably 5 tables and theres also a 1st floor. At 9pm the restaurant was already full and I was regretfully informed that it would take long time to get a table. However, I waited and got a table in 40 minutes.
The service is really brisk and the proprietor is very busy but friendly. I ordered a Singha, a Thai beer, which was surprisingly very good. The tiny room is decorated with some Thai artifacts lending a slight oriental feel. Red curry with chicken was amazing and I was tempted to ask for some extra curry !
Overall, a very servicable place. Dont expect anything fancy or a great ambience. But the right place to go for an authentic Thai meal. Would be back when I visit Amsterdam next !

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Went to de kooning van siam with friends. It's a cosy, friendly place. There is an open kitchen so you can see them freshly prepare the food. I would describe the food as no-nonsense, westernised thai food. But the quality and taste are very good. They have an interesting take on curry, roasting the meat and adding the sauce later. This was very tasty indeed. With good portions and a fair price, it's definitely worth a visit.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hillerod, Denmark
“Better than blue Elephant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

The location is great and the interiour is very authentic thai. decoration is like eating in grand palace and the sent is nice remind you of Thailand. The food is very tasty and the diches marked as strong is Thai strong. The service is good and helpfull. This is my second time here and i would surely come back.

Castricum, The Netherlands
“Quality Thai restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This quality Thai restaurant is located in the old center of Amsterdam in a centuries old house. It is decorated with Thai art. Service is correct.
The menu shows a extensive list of Thai food. I had my favorite Pad Thai and this was well prepared, the taste was delicious and the portion was more than sufficient. The restaurant is very popular with tourist.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Orange Curtain, CA
“Absolutely rude service. We got kicked out of this restaurant!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

My wife and I were very hungry and searching for Thai food around 9:30 in the evening while walking in Amsterdam during our first day there. We came across De Kooning van Slam and either the manager or owner sat us down in a table that seats four.

We looked at the menu, and when he finally came around to take our order, we ordered one Pad Thai dinner, one appetizer, rice, and bottled water.

After taking our order, he replied, "Is that all?"

"Yes", I replied.

"You have to leave," was his response.

"What do you mean we have to leave?".

"You have to leave because you didn't order enough food" the manager replied to us. "I can seat more people at this table and get a larger order".

We didn't know if he was joking or not. He wasn't rude when he told this to us, but we were stunned. There wasn't even a line of people to get into this restaurant, and you would think that any restaurant owner would be happy to get business. But not the manager of De Kooning van Slam.

So we left. We found another Thai restaurant within 5 minute walk. We asked him if that was normal service we should expect in Amsterdam. He said "no". Our cousins that live in Amsterdam were really surprised at this manager's actions, and were embarrassed that this event could even happen in their city.

Bottom Line: There are lots of Thai restaurants in this part of Amsterdam that want your business, and cost much less. Do not patronize De Kooning van Slam.

• Visited September 2012