“Our Home Away From Home.....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alp Hotel Amsterdam

Save Saved
You added Alp Hotel Amsterdam to your Saves list
Alp Hotel Amsterdam
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   De Clercqstraat 52, 1052NH Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Jordaan)   |
Ranked #82 of 305 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Yorba Linda, California, United States
“Our Home Away From Home.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

When I booked this hotel, I did not know what to expect, because of the price, but I made the reservations anyways because most of the hotels I wanted were fully booked. When we arrived, we were greeted with a smile and he was very helpful. He checked us in, made us comfortable, took our luggage to our room and offered us free drinks as a welcome. He told us that breakfast was from 7-10 AM. Our room was simple and clean and comfortable, and as picky as I am the bathroom was also clean and something I can do for our 5 day stay. It is centrally located and walking distance to most attractions. The next morning, we woke up and went down just to find out that we were 45 minutes late for the breakfast, so we just got our cups of coffee and to our surprise, the guy asked us if we wanted breakfast. I was so embarrassed to say "yes", so I just looked at him and smiled. After all, we were late coming down. To our surprise, he got the whole trays from the kitchen and put everything like it was and so as if we never missed anything! Except for the steep stairs, which I believe is norm is Amsterdam, everything was great. We enjoyed our stay and after a hard day of walking and enjoying Amsterdam, we go home to this humble place and I feel safe. Everyone was great and made us feel at home. If ever we will go back to Amsterdam, I don't mind going back to this place! Thanks everyone for such a lovely stay!

Room Tip: Try to get a back room so it is quiet. Also, get a 2-3 beds so your room is bigger. Ours was.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

To begin, I'd like to say that this hotel would not be the same if not for the staff. Everyone welcomed us with a genuine smile, helpful hand and eagerness to help. Alp hotel is family owned and operated and it shows with all they try do for their guests. When we arrived we were immediately offered coffee/tea/water/fruits. We arrived late and a person at the front desk offered numerous restaurants that were still open. They were also helpful with directions and really knowledgeable about most of the city's points of interest. Only 10 minutes walking distance to Westerkerk and Anne Franks House + another 5 minutes to Dam Square from there.
The rooms were although simple but large enough and nicely decorated with a personal touch (apple and a piece of chocolate on the  pillow every morning).
TV, plumbing, and a fan worked fine; however, Wi-Fi was spotty, which was probably the only downside.
Also, I really have to mention this: BRACE YOURSELVES for a very steep climb up the stairs, especially if you are on the last 5th floor. There is no elevator. I was out of breath by floor #4 without bags.
Overall, nice stay! Definitely recommend!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Delighted by my stay in this hotel located in a quiet area, I'll go back for sure on my next trip to Amsterdam! Very clean rooms and hotel in general, excellent and varied breakfast, wonderful welcome by a helpful and competent staff! Rear rooms have a balcony furnished with table and chairs, there is also a rear courtyard on the ground floor where you can have breakfast or a drink (coffee or tea offered on arrival). There is no lift but the staff is ready to help going up and down the luggage (there is a safe luggage room too)! Definitely a place to recommend!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Very helpful staff , good location , good breakfast loved the spa bath ( don't use too much bubble bath though ) generally a good value hotel, we really enjoyed our stay - can also recommend Mike Bikes tours of the city !

• Stayed May 2013
Waterford, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We discovered the Alp Hotel through booking.com and reserved our room less than an hour before arriving; I selected this lodging based on what I felt was a reasonable rate, the convenient location, free WiFi, free breakfast & numerous positive reviews on Booking.com & TripAdvisor.

Even though we arrived about about 40 minutes after making the reservation & 2 hours before normal check in time the associate at the front desk was very organized with our information and more than happy to accommodate us with an early check in.

Immediately after checking you in you are are offered to sit outside at one of the tables in the walled garden patio and enjoy a "Welcome Beverage" which was either a soft drink, a cold glass of beer or wine; we selected a beer for me (Heineken) and white wine for my wife. This is a very nice touch and we appreciated a chance to relax and chat in the peaceful setting the hotel provides.

After giving us 10 minute or so to relax the associate (Onur Alp) returned to provide us information about the hotel, the immediate areas and to answer any questions we had. Onur was wonderful at making you feel welcomed & appreciated for choosing to stay with them.

We would come to learn over the next three days that all of the staff associated with this hotel were extremely friendly and always willing to be of service however they could

Our rooms (we had two over the two nights we stayed there) were very clean, comfortable & very adequate in size for the two of us.

The first one had a nice balcony that overlooked the walled garden patio area in the back, the second was larger and had a sink & mini refrigerator, this one was street side so you were able to watch the action and had a nice view of the wonderful old buildings up and down the street.

We were very pleased with both of our accommodations & personally I found the age/history of the building very charming. I would have to say though both of our rooms were on the "first floor" (there are no street level rooms) so we did not have to carry our bags up to the higher floors, which would have been a real workout I'm sure.

We would hot hesitate and look forward to staying at the Alp Hotel on future visits and highly recommend the lodging to anyone traveling to Amsterdam - I am certain you would not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Valletta, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for six days, the staff were very helpful, friendly and made us feel welcome.
The hotel is very clean and the breakfast was excellent with a good selection.
The hotel is situated in a convenient location for transport links.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We took tram 13 from Centraal station and arrived on De Clercqstraat st. but didn't see the hotel initially. After exiting the tram walk across the street...stay to your right and the hotel is in the next block right past the corner bookstore, nail shop and clothing store. The hotel registrar offered us something to drink and a cookie with our cappuccinos. We sat in the courtyard while he gave us a map and some suggestions for enjoying the city. I had a piece of fruit and noticed the two computers provided by the hotel for internet access were occupied by two young adults. If you're in excellent shape, then you'll have no difficulty negotiating the steep stairs at this hotel. We were grateful for the exercise, but grew a little tired of having to climb the stairs. This hotel capped off a three week vacation traveling around Europe and of all the hotels we stayed in, this was far from what we were accustomed to, given the size of the room. The hotel was reasonably priced, and the amenities nice. We wanted to be centrally located, have internet access, free breakfast, and a shuttle to the airport. Most of the reviews were excellent, but wished I'd been more attentive to the comments regarding the size of the rooms. Otherwise, this hotel satisfied all our conditions at a great price with the exception that the shuttle is a taxi ride for 39 euros. The 2nd floor room facing the street was extremely cramped but clean, had a chocolate and an apple on each bed and no way to cool the room with the exception of the window with no screen, so we propped it open as best we could and still felt the heat and stuffiness even though the window was open as far as we could get it to open. You will have to deal with the noise on the street and earplugs are provided. Both of us are "city" dwellers and the outside noise was not a problem for us. When we asked about a larger room, the receptionist gave us a key to a fourth floor room also facing the street that was a tiny bit more spacious for 20 euros more, but given the exertion on the stairs we opted to stay where we were. The internet worked fine, and breakfast was good with plenty of choices. Meats, cheeses, yogurts, breads, jams, orange juice, cereals, boiled eggs, a fruit salad and a green salad too for the health conscious. The Anne Frank house is within walking distance and strolling along the street was fun too. I am doubtful I would stay here again in the summer, unless I am traveling alone and it is the only room available. All things considered it is a good hotel if you are physically fit and don't mind the small space.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Alp Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!