“Very pleasantly suprised” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Iris

Save Saved
You added Hotel Iris to your Saves list
Hotel Iris
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sarphatikade 17, 1017 wv Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Special Price
10% off room rate
Ranked #230 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Very pleasantly suprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

I'm not sure what other people are talking about . From reading other reviews I had major reservations about this place but was really great. Staff are so nice and friendly . Yes rooms are small and stairs are steep but unless you are an OAP or morbidly obese then you will be grand. Rooms were clean and serviced daily too ....location is fantastic too with trams to city center about 3 minute walk away. Would 100% stay here again

• Stayed September 2013
marcelscheepstra, Manager at Hotel Iris, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thanks for the great review. Please let us know when you come to amsterdam. Appreciation and understandness for the effort our staff is doing to improve our guests stay in the great city of amsterdam is the best compliment we can get.

In the main time we upgraded some rooms. New carpets, new beds etc.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed in the quad room on the top floor. The room size was too small for four people. It felt like a hostel.

Positive side : Friendly staff. Location is not too bad.

Negative side: Mosquitoes in the summer, couldn't sleep at night due to bites. Couldn't close the window either as it was too stuffy and hot ( providing a fan would be nice). Very narrow stairs, my parents (late 40s) tripped and almost fell couple of times. Hygiene is questionable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
thanks for your critics. Feedback is welcome
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

It was the time for IBC2013. I was busy and had no time to reserve hotel at earlier time. So I had to order the rooms in this hotel. Me and four my colleges arrived Iris Hotel at 13th of September. Of course we understood that it was not the best hotel for our money. But this time in Amsterdam is really popular in the broadcast and post-production world. First of all we were surprised a little by handmade "special offer for IBC guests" printed and put in clear plastic. Then by size and looking of the rooms. There were no rebuild and repair for a long years. Next morning there was the water not hot enough. But we were really busy at the exhibition so we only had a sleep in our rooms. At the evening there was really cold in our rooms. But at the nighttime they switch on some hotter. At the morning there was hot and boring. Water was still not hot enough.
The most amazing thing had happened at the last day. This day we've got not worm but ice-cool water in our bathrooms. Maybe because of it I forgot in my room some cheese which was bought at Altmeer were I went especially for this. We checked out at the morning but we left our luggage in the hotel. So they know that we'll be back. It was not the first time when I forget my things in the hotel rooms. But always I've got my things. Once some hotel in the USA sent my something by DHL. At the evening I asked at the reception about my cheese. Lady answered me that the room was cleaned and there were nothing there. When I asked here to take a look I was answered that there are another guests. I asked her to do this by herself and described were I left the cheese. No reaction. After that I told here about the ice-water in our rooms at the morning as the goodby. Wide-opened eyes were the answer.
This hotel may be only the love-hotel but not the hotel for the guests of so important forum which can be reserved on booking.com

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Johannesburg
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

You should avoid this hotel if you like space (and breathing room), the rooms are ridiculously small to the point where beds have to be placed at certain angles or doors won't open. The "secret" garden is not clean and nor are the room balconies. The location and reception staff are all that is good about this hotel, the location is convenient (walking distance to most interesting places) and reception staff really friendly. The walls are paper thin so you can hear "everything" at all hours of the day and sadly night! The hot water makes an appearance (if at all) when you least expect it in the shower, and the bathrooms are so small that one has to engage in a game of twister to just get the door. Overall, would not stay here again and would not recommend either (zero value for money)!

• Stayed September 2013
On behalf of the owner please contact us about this. There must be an misunderstanding on this.

We want a proper solution
Sibiu, Sibiu, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The first contact is surprising by the narrow entrance, hall, stairs and the location of the reception in the basement. Then it is annoying by the difficulty of carrying your luggage on the tight and steep steps. Then you see that a part of the bathroom (the sink) is in your bedroom and that you can only sit on your toilet with the door open. Then you understand that what could have been a vestibule actually is the room.
And the second day you start enjoying it. It is abrupt but pleasant, with a friendly staff, a beautiful (and tiny) garden and, most important, it is in Amsterdam. You begin to understand that life is out, only sleeping is in the hotel, wisdom that is facilitated by living in this hotel. And what a life is out there!

Room Tip: Not for claustrophobics! If you cannot live in tight spaces, choose another hotel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much.
Aarhus, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

The Check-in
I was on an Interrail with my classmate and when we came to check in the guy in the reciption asked for a 110 euros even though the recite only sayed 90 euros, I asked him way and he told me it was a deposite for the key. I thought that sounded reasonable and thought I would get the money back when I gave them back the key to the room. When I wanted to pay I couldn't pay with my VISA that day aparently the system was down?!? and I hat to find a ATM. So I have no paying 110 euros.

The check-out
When we check out we couldn't get back our deposite, cause theres no deposite for the roomkey. The only deposite that excists is for the remote to the tv and when you pay that you get an extra recite on that! He never gave us the remote or the ekstra recite so when we check out the lady that day couldn't pay us back or help us other than giving us an email adresse so I could complain. I emailed the Hotel got back a auto replay after a week we never gotten any real answer so on our way back we went down to the Hotel Iris again same story again the lady that day couldn't help us either and when she looked through the email system for my complain it was gone! So I was told to email them again wich I did and after emailing with them the only thing I got out of it was that they would give a few days of free breakfest if I come back and stay there again! But I will not stay there again since they won't pay me back the 20 euro they stole from me!

About the rooms and the rest

The location of the hotel is fine I think. But the beds is horribel you are laying direktly on a spring madress with no top madress! The pictures of the outside yeard, your isn't allowed to use only in the morning if we bought breakfast!

Because of this experince this is the worst low budget Hotel I ever stayed at!

Room Tip: Don't pay a deposit for the hotel key, no such thing excist at this hotel, the only deposit ther...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
We take this informatio seriously and want to pay the 20 euro back. We saw in our records we paid you but we dont want to take your complaint in question.
Kiel, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

The rooms are very small and we had problems with the booking because there was a overbooking in the week we stayed in Hotel Iris. But these two issues were definitely the only things to complain.
The staff was very friendly and helpful and finally gave us a double room. The room was clean and the bath room renovated to new. Especially in a city in that room rates are very high the Hotel Iris gives you a cheap alternative for a small wallet. As experienced, you can pay more in the city without having a better room. Hence, I have to rate this hotel that good. Yes, you won't get a luxus Hotel but anyhow. The hotel is located 10 minutes walk from the city centre. Directly located on a canal there are nice places around the area to relax. the Lidl market is one minute away. The breakfast room is very modern and there is more than enough than you can expect for that price: Coffee, tea, milk, cornflakes, fruits, different bread and rolls, various kinds of spready, vegetables and so on.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank for the wonderfull feedback. We hope to have you as guest in the future.
Our staff is ready to welcome you again

Been to Hotel Iris? Share your experiences!