“Hot, noisy, cramped and dirty.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Vivaldi Hotel

Save Saved
You added Vivaldi Hotel to your Saves list
Vivaldi Hotel
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Stadhouderskade 68, Amsterdam 1072 AD, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #261 of 301 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Dubai
“Hot, noisy, cramped and dirty.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

We chose the hotel based on it's price and location - cheap and close to the city centre. If that is all you need and want from a hostel then there is absolutely no problem in those departments. We had requested a double bed, instead we got two lumpy twins stuck together in a tiny room barely able to fit both beds and a window so big that one of us could have fallen through it if we had rolled over the wrong way. Staff were as friendly as they needed to be - i.e minimum - and gave us a double room after a couple of days which was bigger and we could actually move around in. I had noticed in both rooms there was absolutely filthy conditions despite us seeing the cleaner every morning on our way out. In the second room there was a huge clump of hair rolled up in the corner which remained there for the duration of our stay. The second room we stayed in faced the main street which would have been noisy enough as it was apart from we had roadworks on top of that as well. With the room being incredibly hot during summer we had no choice but to keep the window open to stay cool. Public areas aren't too nice either - theres a dining area that leads to an outdoor area with cigarette butts and trash all over the place. There was a bin provided but was never emptied so it seemed the other residents had given up on cleaning up after themselves. We opted to skip the 4 euro breakfast it offered - we thought perhaps the same effort would be put into our food as the cleanliness of the rooms. Instead we went to the supermarket just around the corner and fed ourselves with decent food for half the price. Also, a word of advice - double check the "taxes" they add to your room charge. We had an extra 60 euro added to ours despite the website we booked through claiming that all taxes were included. Definitely not worth the money even for hostel standards - just because a place is cheap and in a handy location does not mean that your guests deserve to be kept in filthy conditions. I should speak for myself, however, as the big mouse that we found scrabbling away at our bags in the middle of the night didn't seem to mind them at all!

Room Tip: If you've requested a double bed, make sure you call them up on it if they have given you twin b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Godalming, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I was quite disappointed in this hotel. It is of course not a hotel but a hostel but even for a hostel it was disappointingly dingy and dirty. I chose it because we were attending an event at a friend's flat on the same street and it was convenient. I was warned that it was "basic" but there is a big difference between basic and dirty. Our charge for two nights in a closet of a three person room with a tiny private toilet/shower was 271 euros and that did NOT include breakfast. The room was just large enough to hold a set of bunkbeds and one very narrow single bed leaving about a two foot wide walkway between the beds to the toilet. When the friend with whom we shared the room sat on the single bed it went down about a foot and a half in the middle, looking as though it was going to fold double. There was a dirty sock hanging over the light fixture in the bathroom, a false eyelash on the radiator and the floor was dirty. There was one narrow (about a foot wide) cupboard with one hanger. There was not even a plastic cup in the bathroom with which to get a drink from the tap. The halls were filthy and even after a day had not been thoroughly cleaned. The hotel advertises free wifi but when you arrive you find out that it's not in the rooms. The only common sitting area that I saw was in the breakfast area. The breakfast was four euros and consisted of juice coloured sugar water, two kinds of rather dubious named meat slices, a tepid and flavourless cheese (a thing I thought impossible in Holland), a small selection of jams/spreads and some cereal that had the appearance of muesli but turned into small pieces of styrofoam when you added milk. Not, I feel, a breakfast to charge 4 euros for. The people working the desk were friendly and pleasant but not very professional and they even warned us that the breakfast was not very good and not to pay for the breakfast until we took a look at it. What I can't figure out is that if this hotel is geared towards backpackers and it surely must be based on its appearance, why is it so expensive? I have stayed at hotels ranging from no stars to five stars that were in better condition than this one and cheaper. I have stayed at hostels in AMSTERDAM that were cheaper, cleaner and included breakfast. Never again. I can say three positive things about this hotel, the staff are friendly but a bit helpless, there are no bedbugs (something I feared given the appearance) and it's not on fire! A hotel that is not on fire is a plus! I would recommend staying here if those things are what you are looking for in a hotel. Otherwise...no.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Good:Helpful staff, good location, our room had a nice view of a canal.
Not so good: The bed was not comfortable at all, some of the towels had stains on them. We had a bathroom and shower in the room, but for a couple of days the sewage smell was intolerable. At our last day the smell was somewhat gone. The wifi was only available at the main lobby which was in another building , about 4 buildings away from where our room was.
Over all: For the money we paid it was an OK deal.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

In 6 years of traveling this is the worst Hotel I have stayed at. Could write an essay on the issues we had, however I will just list a couple:

- Covered in bed bugs. Literally 40-50 bed bugs running around on our bed
- Lobby filled with the smell of urine and feces
- Spent 2.5 days trying to clean our clothing and bags to rid ourselves of bed bugs and eggs.
- Staff was rude and not very helpful

People stay here and are happy with it, however i warn that you increase your chances of not enjoying Amsterdam.

My wishes with this review are just to protect fellow travelers like my wife and I.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

kent, united kingdon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

i know you get what you pay for but there are limits, the room was on top floor tiny with 2 single beds pushed together, found it smelt musty, carpet dirty, the window didnt have draw curtains, only one towel provided for 2 people, staff didnt seem very friendly. i wouldnt recommend this hotel & wouldnt stay there again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had a party to go to in Amsterdam. Since it's a 3 hour drive from home, i wanted to book a cheap room to get a couple of hours sleep before driving back home. Since i just needed a bed and a bathroom, i just choose the cheapest hotel i could find.

I booked with booking.com and everything seemed okay. Then, about two weeks after i've made the booking, i received an email from booking.com saying that the hotel had notified them that my creditcard details were invalid. Thinking that it could be that i accidently changed a number when typing my details, i gave my credit card details again. Again, a couple of hours later, i received a mail saying they were still wrong. I checked again, and they were correct. I let a friend check them before submittinig, to be doulby sure. So i submitted them for the 3th time. Again, later that day, en email claiming they were incorrect. Fed up at that point, i emailed the hotel directly asking them a clarification. My details were correct. They never responded. Thinking that they had reviewed my details and came to the conclussion that they were correct, i assumed everything was okay. Untill this morning. I received an email saying they had canceled my bookinig because my creditcard details were wrong. I've had enough, in a whole week they did not have the change to respond to my email at all, but they just cancelled my booking? If they are this incompetent in making a bookinig, i dred to imagine how a stay would have been. Maybe this cancellation was a blessing in disguise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Vivaldi Hotel? Share your experiences!