“Warning” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Vivaldi Hotel

Save Saved
You added Vivaldi Hotel to your Saves list
Vivaldi Hotel
3.0 of 5 Inn   |   Stadhouderskade 68, 1072 AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)   |
Ranked #260 of 304 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Amsterdam
“Warning”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

In 6 years of traveling this is the worst Hotel I have stayed at. Could write an essay on the issues we had, however I will just list a couple:

- Covered in bed bugs. Literally 40-50 bed bugs running around on our bed
- Lobby filled with the smell of urine and feces
- Spent 2.5 days trying to clean our clothing and bags to rid ourselves of bed bugs and eggs.
- Staff was rude and not very helpful

People stay here and are happy with it, however i warn that you increase your chances of not enjoying Amsterdam.

My wishes with this review are just to protect fellow travelers like my wife and I.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

167 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
kent, united kingdon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

i know you get what you pay for but there are limits, the room was on top floor tiny with 2 single beds pushed together, found it smelt musty, carpet dirty, the window didnt have draw curtains, only one towel provided for 2 people, staff didnt seem very friendly. i wouldnt recommend this hotel & wouldnt stay there again

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had a party to go to in Amsterdam. Since it's a 3 hour drive from home, i wanted to book a cheap room to get a couple of hours sleep before driving back home. Since i just needed a bed and a bathroom, i just choose the cheapest hotel i could find.

I booked with booking.com and everything seemed okay. Then, about two weeks after i've made the booking, i received an email from booking.com saying that the hotel had notified them that my creditcard details were invalid. Thinking that it could be that i accidently changed a number when typing my details, i gave my credit card details again. Again, a couple of hours later, i received a mail saying they were still wrong. I checked again, and they were correct. I let a friend check them before submittinig, to be doulby sure. So i submitted them for the 3th time. Again, later that day, en email claiming they were incorrect. Fed up at that point, i emailed the hotel directly asking them a clarification. My details were correct. They never responded. Thinking that they had reviewed my details and came to the conclussion that they were correct, i assumed everything was okay. Untill this morning. I received an email saying they had canceled my bookinig because my creditcard details were wrong. I've had enough, in a whole week they did not have the change to respond to my email at all, but they just cancelled my booking? If they are this incompetent in making a bookinig, i dred to imagine how a stay would have been. Maybe this cancellation was a blessing in disguise.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Booked 2 rooms of 6 on the Easter weekend with friends.

When arriving, we also had the "Wait for 10 minutes in the lounge, we changing shift" line, even before I had the chance to say Hello and mention I only needed my friends' room number as they already had arrived. It wasn't like we arrived at 2 ou 4am in the morning, but it appears an unusual thing for the staff that customers check-in in a European capital city hotel on a saturday afternoon.

Then, you need to take the stairs, which steps are very steep and narrow (each step is something like 30 cm and 15cm wide, though I can understand management cannot do much about that), so you'd better be fit to get to your room.

When getting in the room, there are 6 beds indeed, in a room that usually fits a double bed in any other hotel. Having had the privilege to have a balcony to enjoy the view of the city, we noted it was literally covered with pigeons excrement, along with an abandoned wooden chair (itself also covered with excrement) which is absolutely disgusting!!!

When it comes to sleeping, the beds have mattresses which are very old or of very poor quality (or both) and also strange smells probably coming from some pipes which can be disturbing.

And the cherry on the cake will be the price: 600 euros for two nights!!

If I absolutely need to bring myself to put positive points:
* location is ok (central/tourist places are from a walking distance)
* free wi-fi does work (although with a ridiculously long key/code to remember)
* you are very pleased and relieved after checking out

To avoid at any cost unless it's in connection with a (pricey) joke with your friends or because you try to have your partner breakup with you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Vivaldi Hotel? Share your experiences!