“Perfectly kitsch; great cake; slightly overpriced” 4 of 5 stars
Review of De taart van m'n tante

De taart van m'n tante
Ferdinand Bolstraat 10, 1072 LJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Stadsdeel Zuid)
020-7764600
Cuisines: Café, Bakery
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Neighborhood: Stadsdeel Zuid
St. Louis, MO, USA
“Perfectly kitsch; great cake; slightly overpriced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The cake was great! I had the carrot cake and loved it very much. It was moist and delicious. The cappuccino was good too. The atmosphere is like an old woman's home with dusty fake flowers and mismatched furniture. I thought the prices were a bit high for the atmosphere. I expected them to be less but tasting the cake, you can taste that they are high quality and that is what you are paying for. Since I have sneezing spells from dust, this type of place makes me nervous but it was very good. I would return for the carrot cake but may take it to go...good experience overall.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

at home
“Great Cakes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is a very quirky furnished pastry shop with great cakes and a good coffee. The cakes are fantastic and it is hard to decided which one to choose. We would have loved to try them all.

Visited November 2012
Paris, France
“A place victim of its success”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Too much people, nobody to drive you to a table. Coach destroyed. Good cakes but over priced. Better to go to another small cake shop and there are a lot in Amsterdam.

Visited May 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Interesting cakes, so-so ambience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

As we were in the area (just been shopping in nearby Albert Cuyp Market) and has heard of this "must see" camp and kitsch cafe, we popped in for a coffee and cake.

Have to admit that the selection of cakes on the menu was interesting, even amusing, although there seemed to be a lack of variety when it came to ordering. Two selected were gone and one of those we did get was the last piece (not the freshest).

Service was perfunctory, but maybe being there when it was 3/4 empty wasn't conducive to atmosphere and staff motivation.

Not convinced about how clean it was either - sticky tablecover, etc.

However, for a quirky little example of the sort of places Amsterdam offers, worth a look if you are passing by.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Delicious cake, snarky service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I had the best lemon tart of my life and my friend the chocolate mousse cake which he said was very nice. It was hard to enjoy the desserts though as the service we received was super snarky. The desserts were slapped down in front of us, some of my friends chocolate cake landed on my lap and the server saw it and walked away...I thought to grab more napkins...but no - just walked away.
We had tea, I ordered a side of milk - it never came.
I won't go back.
The atmosphere was cute - very kitschy...but a whisper on the sad and dusty side. This place needs an overhaul - staff included!

• Visited March 2013