“Don't judge a book by it's cover” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Slotermeerlaan 80, 1064 HD Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #134 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
Biloela, Australia
“Don't judge a book by it's cover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

When I first found out that I was staying at this hotel as part of my Contiki tour, I wasn't impressed. The bright blue exterior looked horrible and I wasn't sure about the hotel at all.
However when we arrived and checked into our room I was quite surprised. The foyer was very big and spacious that included a hotel bar on the side.

The Room - The room was great. There was enough room to move around and be comfortable with two people. The bathrooms were very clean and looked new. We got a room on the ground floor. It was great for not having to use the lifts but we couldn't leave the curtains open as everyone on the street could see in.

WiFi - Everybody loves free WiFi and this hotel has got it! I was able to use face-time on my iPad so I was really happy with that.

The Location - I found the Amsterdam metro system difficult to understand. I wouldn't have been able to find the hotel on my own. We got someone to help us find the right tram line to jump onto and the tram stopped a short walk from the hotel. If you are still confused just grab a taxi.

Overall it was a beautiful hotel just outside of the center of Amsterdam. The bright blueness of the building actually isn't that bad, as it will help you locate the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

784 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Korean first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Stayed in this hotel at the long weekend "escape" to Amsterdam. I knew that hotel isn't located close to the city center but thought that Best Western 4 star would be warrant for excellent service and standard. Unfortunately disappointed in most aspects: hotel is located in strange suburbian place with nowhere to go. Bus and tram connection is ok with both stations close to the hotel but it takes 20-30 minutes to get to the city centre.
Service was average - our shower got flooded immediately and it required two hours and multiple calls to reception to send somebody to fix it. They haven't removed wet towels (that they used to dry the place) and after we came back next day and called to collect them the whole story repeated - two hours and visit of the reception was required.
Restaurant and food is ok but nothing stunning as you would expect from 4-star and last thing that nailed the rating: windows in rooms are small and you can't open them so it adds to the "cheap" feeling of the hotel.
Definitely won't stay there again

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Anaheim, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stayed here during a Contiki tour, its an average hotel. Rooms are normal size, not that big but not that small. The bathroom is clean and amenities are somewhat adequate. Breakfast was good and had a nice selection of cold cuts and also hot food.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

Actually I was looking for another Best Western, but I was tricked by the slight difference in name ( Blue Square vs Blue Tower). The marketing worked....:)
The entrance is not welcoming at all. Its huge, empty and very noisy. The place feels like a combination of a student house and a mausoleum. Please hire a decent interior designer and turn it into an empathic welcoming space. The lady at check-in, however was correct and friendly. It seems, however, very difficult to focus on your customer, have eye contact and create that welcoming feeling. In most hotels this relationship is privileged to the computer screen at the front desk, the 'system, which tells me that you are Mr......." and the ringing front desk telephone.

Somewhere in the corner of his huge space is what they call a 'bar'. Customers, hanging around, a bit bored. While I was ready to order, a voice came to me from below the counter: the waitress was somewhere down there.....must be a really inspiring place to work...

The room was clean and ok, but a bit old school. Dark furniture and the chair at the desk too low to work properly. The corridor leading to my room, was not really clean, a bit smelly and many laundry bags were hanging on doorhandles. When I first arrived and later when I returned from my evening outing. For dinner and breakfast I have no review, since I went out into town.

All in all, not my kind of place.

Room Tip: Check with the hotel, since some rooms are really dark and some are bright.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Shihotelgroup, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Blue Square Hotel, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Rene H,

thanks for your extensive review. We appreciate your effort.
Although the lobby of our hotel is not the Capella Sistina, to compare it with a mausoleum
might be orginal but also a bit exaggerated.
Problably at the moment you entered the hotels lobby there was a large number of guests
standing, about to be picked up by their tour bus. It sure can be a bit noisy at those moments.
Normally this is only during a couple of minutes.
You are so right when saying that eye contact and a smile makes the difference between a good and an excellent service. This is in my opinion the minimum we should do.
The laundry bags hanging on door handles are meant for guests who do not want to be disturbed (DND) It contains a fresh pair of towels.
It is a pity you did not use our breakfast since price and quality are well rated.
Thanks again and hope to welcome you again in the future so we can show you we are capable of giving an excellent service.

Best regards,

Best Western PLUS Hotel Blue Square
Amsterdam
huddersfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Just come back from spending a few days in Amsterdam and stayed at this hotel. The Hotel is a little bit out of the centre but easily reached by tram number 14. The Hotel was clean and tidy and the staff were friendly. Breakfast was very good with a wide selection of warm and cold food. The only thing that the hotel got wrong was I asked for twin beds and we got a double - good job I have known my friend for a long time ||||

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of Hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stayed here during our visit to Amsterdam. The Hotel was good, clean and the service was prompt. It is a budget hotel and we had been there on a deal that was available then. I loved the view from the room and the amazing clock bell in its adjacent compound. What was difficult was the fact that it is outside the city centre and that made it affordable though. All the same it was within close proximity of the tram line and bus routes. Will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the main street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Shihotelgroup, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Blue Square Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear guest,

thanks a lot for your review.
It is nice to rwad that you liked our 'nest' :)
hope to welcome you again in the future.
For available dates please contact us directly.

best regards,

Best Western PLUS Hotel Blue Square
Amsterdam
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We booked the hotel for a 2 nights stay. Overall the stay was ok. Check in took some time because there were only 1 person at the front desk. Our key card did not work 3 times and we had to go the front desk everytime which was inconvenient. Room was neat. I asked for a double bed during reservation but instead found the room with 2 single beds. Although they were joined, there was still gap in the middle. We were a couple so it was a big inconveince.

There is nothing around the place and its quite far from the city. Connectivity to the city was good. The room had no fridge or ironing. There was a kettle for coffee but the coffee cups were not clean. There was a tv in the room with cable, but it was a pain to operate it. Wifi worked great.

Overall the stay was nice but the hotel is definetely not a 4 star.

Room Tip: Book a hotel in the city center!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Blue Square Hotel? Share your experiences!