“Reasonable priced hotel with easy city access” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Best Western Rewards Rate
Ranked #157 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Singapore, Singapore
“Reasonable priced hotel with easy city access”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

We used this hotel for a family get together over the weekend of 1-2 June. This hotel is located in the west of Amsterdam. There is a direct bus to/from the airport and bus and tram lines to the city close by. So easy to discover the city and staying in a more quiet area. 24h and 48h tickets for public transport can be purchased with the reception. The rooms were clean, the staff knowledgable and friendly and the breakfast buffet was good. Together we had booked 1 double room and 2 single rooms. Something went wrong with the online booking. When my brother arrived there was a problem with the single room. It looked as if the booking for the single had been overlooked. After a long time they finally gave him room 233. This room is tiny and has no decent table, nor any chair and the coffee maker is hard to access. Since the single room was for my mother (over 80 years old) this was very dissappointing. Except the bed there was nowhere to sit down and rest in that room. But what was worse was that the price for the room was exactly the same like for the one I got 1 day later which was bigger, had a table, a chair and a safe. Room 233 should be only rented out in emergencies and should not be charged full price!

Room Tip: Single room 234 is good but beware of 233 (no table, no chair, no safe, tiny) which is charged full...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Clearwater, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

69 bus brings you in from Schipol Airport within 30minutes... Tram stops are all within walking distance and so are other busses.
Room itself had 2 twin beds pushed together in a large room! For European hotels, our room was large! Hotel staff was very helpful and friendly.
Hotel also sells bus and tram day passes which is excellent.
There is a small mall just next door including Albert Heijn which is a grocery store.
All in all.. This was a good choice for our first visit to Amsterdam and would return!

• Stayed June 2013
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at The Blue Square for 1 week at the end of May. Check in should have been at 2pm but was able to get my room when I arrived at 12.30. The staff were kind and polite upon arrival and throughout my stay. Although the room was small with 2 single bed along 1 wall it was clean and tidy with a large flat screen TV on the wall. The bathroom was a good size and very modern. My room was on the first floor and I was concerned the the window could be fully opened inwards. Considering that their was only a 3 inch gap between the end of the bed and the window I would be very concerned if I had small children.
Breakfast was of a good quality. I noticed on a couple of occasions that the majority of tables had not been cleared even though it didn't seem particularly busy.
When checking out I was able to leave my baggage as I had a late flight. When I arrived early evening to collect my bags I was surprised to be handed the key and given access the storage room where other luggage was being stored. This was out of sight of reception and staff.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

Whoever had access to our room went through all of our stuff. I had my things placed in a certain way in the closet (no need for staff to go through the closet!!!) when we got back in the evening everything was moved around but nothing was taken(thank goodness..probably someone looking for loose cash or jewelry)...nevertheless extremely creepy and very untrustworthy!!! Management was no help and instead tried to tell us that we had left the door open and they weren't willing to go through the tapes to see who had access to our room...Don't stay here!!! Unless you like random people from the hotel going through your things!

Pleasant Valley, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We grew fond of this hotel, mainly because of the people who work there, even though we nicknamed it "the hotel that almost makes it" (to the four star level). Most shortcomings were minor. For example, the lighting was well organized and convenient, but there was not quite enough illumination to read by. The only major flaw was with the wifi. As is true for many people, Internet access is essential to our work. The wifi went down and didn't come back. One of the two lobby terminals was "temporarily" out of order, but it looked to be permanent.

Our room was in the front of the hotel, but there was no problem with street noise. It's a reasonably quiet neighborhood. The room was pleasant, clean, and comfortable.

It's a long commute into Central Amsterdam -- about a half hour each way, but the tram and bus stops are very near. By bicycle, it takes only about 15 minutes. Ditto by car or cab.

High praise for the people at the desk. They helped with train reservations, and even made phone calls for us when necessary.

We asked before we left home whether there was a coin laundry in the neighborhood and were surprised to learn there were none. One would think that a modest suburban neighborhood with many apartment houses would have convenient laundromats. We packed accordingly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The Best Western in Amsterdam was rather small, but you can say they used the space well.

The washroom was very small whereas you could brush your teeth and sit on the toilet at the same time... a little too close for comfort.

The beds were amazingly comfortable for me! I love big pillows.

The food at the hotel for breakfast and dinner was VERY basic. I’d say dinner was whatever you could get out of a frozen food box or bag.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Stroud, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This was my first day in Holland. Upon arrival was given the password for wi-fi but told there were problems with the network and in the meantime I could use the lobby computer. The wi-fi was down the entire 24 hours I was there, and needless to say there was a line of people waiting to use the single computer in the lobby (there were two, but one didn't work!) Since I was there as a touring musician, I needed to have a network connection...especially since I had received a phone message that my next night's hotel was cancelled and I needed to find a room in the next city I was headed to. I asked if there was a place nearby for wi-fi and was told there was an internet cafe right across the street. Wrong! Walked a block in either direction and no internet connection in any of the restaurants or bars. My music partner asked where he could exchange money for Euros and was told of a Western Union office down the street. Wrong again! Both of us were frustrated at lack of information, and none of the girls at the front desk seemed to care. We weren't the only ones...I witnessed many unhappy customers arguing at the front desk while walking to and from my room. The location wasn't great. Not near the city...although you could buy a pass and the front desk said the station was a short walk away, I didn't trust their information after the first two experiences. It was also a very noisy stay...I heard doors slamming constantly and people talking/walking at all hours in the hotel. Both of us were on the first floor so I don't know if it was any quieter on other floors. I have no complaints about the room itself. It was clean, all the amenities (hair dryer, coffee/tea service, large flat screen tv in room with a few English channels) and a very comfortable bed. I didn't buy the breakfast, it was a bit on the expensive side and I didn't see anything that was worth it...I basically just wanted coffee and a croissant until we got on the road and could find a real restaurant. If you just want a cheap place to stay, don't depend on wi-fi connections and don't mind having to take a tram to the city, this could be the place for you. Myself, I will not be staying here again. I've already booked rooms into a city-center hotel for September and gladly payed more for it.

Room Tip: Try one NOT on the ground floor.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN Blue Square Hotel? Share your experiences!