“A little "Jewel"” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #73 of 297 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“A little "Jewel"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This adorable B and B is my favorite place to stay as I travel from city to city for business and pleasure. I go to Amsterdam annually, and each time I find myself looking forward to returning to Lieve Nachten B & B. It is owned and run by an exceedingly pleasant couple, Fred and Kitty, who have, themselves, built and decorated much of the interior, and it is their personal care which makes my, and our, stay so enjoyable. Each time I arrive, I feel I've "come home" once more. Travel can be tiring, but my stays there seem, instead, to be most relaxing.

It is particularly easy to reach this B and B when flying into Amsterdam. One simply takes the train (located at the airport) to Central Station, walks outside, and the 26 tram is there waiting for a 10 minute ride to the stop, two short blocks from the B&B. The sights of the city can later be easily reached by that same tram. The accommodations are comfortable and quiet, away from the noisy part of the city.

And what I appreciate most are the breakfasts, due to the camaraderie of the hosts, and the excellent variety of food--I can eat my own ordinary American breakfast there, but much prefer to sample the various Dutch offerings. You can keep to yourself during breakfast, or join others in conversation. Wonderful and unusual teas, or a robust cappuccino tops off the the meal. Several restaurants are located a short distance away, easily reached in the evening.

I love to poke around the city, shop and photograph the sites. The directions and advice offered by Fred and Kitty make that quite simple to do. After all, Amsterdam is a terrific place to visit.

In short, you can't go wrong at Lieve Nachten--a cozy, homey and relaxing spot in an otherwise bustling city

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Oakland, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Arriving late after a difficult trip, owner Fred soothed my nerves with cup of herbal tea. Such kind assistance continued throughout my stay. The b&b is an interesting design, furnished with beautiful things from around the world. Great breakfast. The neighborhood, any easy tram ride to central Amsterdam, has great modern architecture with creative flourishes everywhere.

Room Tip: There actually is no pool or fitness center. I checked these things by mistake and trip advisors sit...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Staying at Lieve Nachten was like staying with friends, though we'd never met our hosts before! The house is a loved family home with treasures from around the globe, I literally couldn't stop looking and admiring the architecture, the decor and the furniture. We booked a large room with our two teenage daughters who slept up the step ladder on the mezzanine, it was cosy and fun. The decor was simple, cool and very clever. We loved having access to the library and the endless information available to us about the area.
Though initially I was concerned that staying slightly outside the city of Amsterdam may dampen the thrill of being there, I couldn't have been more wrong. It was great to find this new area, with it's fantastic modern architecture. After spending all day in the city it was a pleasure to arrive back on the tram to this great place and sit outside the local bar/restaurant (just down the road) and watch local children play in the street and swim in the lake.
Our hosts were delightful, breakfast was delicious, we loved the house and the area and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

We were so happy to stumble upon Lieve Nachten B&B. The artistic b&b was the perfect place for us to relax after spending the day in city center. Beautiful rooms, comfortable beds, fantastic staff, and AMAZING food!

Oh, and a bath tub that I could have spent all day in.

Don't miss out on the organic breakfast, Kitty's cooking will blow your mind.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Southern Finland, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

Very nice place! Thank you very for everyone.

Good breakfast, nice large room for family with two children. Fantastic staff !!!

We'll come back here for sure.

Nadia, Alex, Daniel & Maija

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2011

Lieve Nachten has great prices and is a perfect place to stay! I really recommend it to everyone who enjoys interesting accommodation. Our room was great. The service was great!
Two thumbs up for the owners. Thank You again for hosting us!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Inhambane, Mozambique
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We were a group of 6, ranging in age from 16 to mid-50's. The stay at Lieve Nachten is like being invited into the owner's private space. The front door is open, the kitchen is open - and its true, breakfast is wonderful. We stayed for 5 days and breakfast was different every day - as was the music. Classical in nature, but ranging from opera to spiritual type chants.

The dining room features large chairs from Ghana with a wonderful electic collection of artefacts and cloths' throughout the house. The architecture of the house is wonderfully different and the bright orange bottom half and upper half finished in wood fits perfectly. The house is built in several levels and even has a large library with a good collection of books.

Bedrooms are individually furnished - again with interesting interiors. Beds are comfortable with quality linen. My bed was on the floor on solid portable bases (2x) with 2 x other single beds in the room. Bathrooms are basic, but what more do you need!

From the house its a short walk to a wonderful local restaurant with dishes not usually found on the average menu. A tram station - +/- 300m from the house, will take you into central Amsterdam. If you stay out late in the city, there's a bus that travels a similar route as the tram - the owners adivsed us on all types of sites, restaurants and places of interest.

This is a place for people that wish to stay in a homely environment away from the usual sterile hotel room. We wanted to make a picnic and asked whether they could bake us one of their delicious breads. At breakfast our special home baked picnic bread was waiting.

Thank you for a wonderful stay - from all of us

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Lieve Nachten B&B? Share your experiences!