“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #90 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
Chelmsford
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

I stayed at this hotel with friends back in May this year. To be honest I was a little worried becasue of some of the negative reviews about the hotel being under renovation and the fact someone said the receiption and restaurant was in a "tent" in the carpark. I got there and was plesently supprised.

We arrived at the airport and got a train to Station Rai. Stepped out the station turned right and we could see our hotel! Only a 5min walk or less and we were checking in.

As for this "tent" in the carpark, its not a tent at all. It is a purpouse built structure and is very nice. The moment we stepped inside the noise (what little there was) stopped. Its very well sound proofed and air conditioned.

We arrived very early (9:30am) and were allowed to check in straight away no questions asked. There was free internet on 2 macs in the reception and all in all my worries that I had before arriving soon faded.

The rooms are very nice, spacious and clean. We were on the 15th floor and had a great view. There was a good selection for breakfast and is what you would expect from a hotel. I would highly recommend booking a room that includes breakfast. Breakfast alone is a bit pricey at 21euros! But worth it when booked with the room for an extra £5 or so.

Yes this hotel is not right in the center of things but I liked that. I researched everything before I went so I knew there was the metro station close to the hotel, along with the trams (number 4).

I knew we would be staying out later than the metro or trams would run, and there is a night bus that runs every half hour from 12:30am right through to 6:00am! Take the number 354a bus and it will drop you outside station Rai.

It really is so easy to get around the city and exeptional value if you but a 24/48/72 hour ticket. These can be purchased from the metro section of station Rai from the machine. The people that worked there were very helpful and showed us what we needed to get.

It was nice to get out of the busy city center and come back to the hotel.

Great Hotel
Great People
Great City

All in all a great holiday.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

Its a good hotel in the heart of city . Good ambience in room with complimentary breakfast. Very close to Amsterdam Rai station so commuting also became very easy.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
milton keynes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

True this hotel is not in the city centre of amsterdam but that not a bad thing as the centre can be very rowdy and sleezy in areas! The tram stops just outside the hotel and only takes about 10 min to central station. Buy a travel card as they are great value for money. The hotel is clean tidy and has a great selection for breakfast. We did eat in the hotel for the first night and enjoyed a lovely meal in the restaurant at not a overly expensive cost. Also getting to the hotel from the airport couldn't be easier grab the train heading into the central station and get off at rai station and you'll see the hotel 5 min walk easy! really enjoyed our stay because of the location as it was with easy distance to everything but far enough out of the hustle and bustle so that we were not disturbed

• Stayed March 2008
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

I have stayed here twice. The 2nd time my booking said I was supposed to get an executive room which from the description made it sound like it was one up from the standard room, but it was exactly the same as the first time around!

Room: Pretty small, 2 twin beds which I hate as I'm clearly 1 person I don't think it was fully booked. You can't even move them together as they're fixed to the floor! Bed wasn't very comfortable. It was however clean, had tea/coffee, nice enough bathroom. TV had more English channels than usual for a foreign hotel (usually just BBC news), had BBC1 & 2 which was nice.

Service: Friendly staff - one thing I am disappointed with is that on my 2nd visit I was asked if I wanted to sign up for A Club theit loyalty scheme. As you can transfer the points to BA ones I said yes. I received an email shortly afterwards asking me to activate mt membership which I did. It said points arrive a few days after your stay. I didn't stay in another Accor hotel for over 6 months and I only checked my account a few days ago as I am booking into one (why would I check it otherwise?!). There were no points and when I contacted them to get them put on I was told you have to make the claim within 6 months. I find this quite poor considering that I signed up in the hotel when I checked in and received an email acknowledging this, so clearly I had stayed in the hotel, why were they not on my account? As I said its not like I had any reason to look at my account in the meantime, and I of course trusted them to do their job. This isn't really an issue with the hotel, more Accor, but I thought I'd put it on here.

Food: Breakfast has a pretty good choice. I was disappointed with my dinner the 2nd time staying. I had a goats cheese salad, one of my favourite meals, and it was horrible. The goats cheese was more of a spread, it had a weird garlicy taste and a light airy texture, not at all like how I ever tasted it. The bread it was on wasn't toasted and really, for the price it was just very disappointing. The bar is small but cosy, we were there so long they were kind to let us stay a bit after it had closed but eventually had to tell us to leave!

Location: Depends where you need to be. For the RAI it is perfect, a short walk away. For central Amsterdam it isn't very convenient, although it is right next to the station (overground and metro) which takes you straight to the airport and to the city centre in about 20 minutes.

I would only stay here and recommend this hotel for convenience if you need to be in the area.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
Syracuse, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

For the most part, my stay was unaffected by the current renovations. The main areas affected are the lobby and restaurant. There is no bar and the food service is basically a buffet. No fitness center currently as well. The rooms were fine - clean, modern and well kept. Should be a much nicer stay once it's completed.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2009

My partner and i stayed over valentines weekend. We arrived early and were able to leave our bags. The staff were all extremely polite and helpful. We were disappointed on arrival as the hotel did not look as we expected- although we knew it was under renovation, however on arriving to our rooms we thought it was excellent. Large clean bed, sheets and room, clean bathroom and great city views (we were fortunate enough to be on the top floor). The room service was good but not much choice.
Although the hotel was far from the city centre the trams were easy to use, regular and convenient and not that expensive.

Overall i would definatly stay again, would reccommend the hotel and couldnt fault it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

One hour before our plane was to leave for Amsterdam the Novotel Hotel notified us the hotel was under construction. Reception was in a tent in the parking lot, this notification was given prior to arrival even though the hotel was under construction months prior to our arrival. Should we have been given more notice we would have changed hotels to avoid the noise and disruption which occurred during our stay. The hotel breakfast is located within the tent with upscale plastic chairs. At 20 Euros, the breakfast consisted of some bread, eggs, fruit salad and instant noodles in a plastic container. The hotel staff informed me that the price point provided good value and was comparable to other hotels. This may be so, but not in a tent. Once I ordered a cup of tea, it came with a bag in a cup of hot water. When asked for a refill of hot water, I was informed that they would be required to charge me and addition 2.50 Euros for a second cup of tea, this is ludicrous. On the wall next to my bed was snot (nasal mucus) which had obviously been left there by a previous tenant and had existed on the wall for a significant period. After three days I had to ask the hotel staff to remove it. The hotel is designated non-smoking but people were smoking in adjoining rooms. One of our colleagues was incapable of walking to and from the RAI conference centre due to a recent sports injury. On more than one occasion the Taxi's outside the hotel charged this individual 20 Euros to drive the 5 blocks to the RAI Centre even though the minimum charge was 7.50 Euro. When we complained to the hotel the told us that we were ripped off, but did not provide any assistance as to how we should resolve the situation. I've been to Amsterdam several times but this trip left me flabbergasted.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business

Been to Novotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!