“Average business hotel...” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
New Delhi, India
“Average business hotel...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed here for about 8 days during a business trip. A competent enough business hotel, but with some quirks.
Started with the check in- I did check in a couple or so hours early- though I had my EA drop the booking desk a note on the same.
So the person at the desk accomodated me a few hours ahead of schedule which was good of him ( though it was a Sunday morning in a business hotel so couldn't have been very difficult)- but in a room size smaller than my eligibility, and it had twin beds ( than a single queen etc).

( usually my experience has been that when you check in for 7-8 nights, especially if it's a business acount booking, they usually upgrade you. They at least give you the right category of room- early check in or not).

In any case - it took me 3-4 days of conversation - with the front staff before they agreed to let me shift in the evening ( since I was out all day)- a couple of times insisting I shift around noon or some such thing. By then I was into the end of the week - and decided to stay on in the current room.

Secondly, the behaviour of the staff in the restaurant was a little puzzling. They were friendly enough.

However, on my 2nd meal - the server brought the check to me - before serving my meal !!

Also 3 days into my stay, when earlier I would just walk in into the restaurant, suddenly that day the restaurant manager decided to get all "proper" - and had me stand for 5-10 minutes- while they laid the table ( really- given the restaurant is a bit understaffed- they always have a few tables empty- not laid out. Wouldn't have harmed me any to sit there - while they brought in the cutlery- or the cavalry :) ! But no- it must be done all "propah".
Anyway- that day was quite funny- because my order was also delayed nearly 30 minutes- and it was hilarious how the server put his hand on my shoulder ( really guys !) - and gravely told me - how he will make a special effort to get it for me. ( Yes - it was a busy day- but seriously if you had just told me at the time of taking my order - that it was a little busy- all this wouldn't be needed). Plus not sure if putting your hand on an upset customer's shoulder is the way to go.
Anyway after that I kind of skipped the restaurant.
Though I must say the food was consistently good.

Also good was the fitness center. And the location isn't bad. The service was by and large efficient.
I do believe that you have to let your customer interrupt you- if you are talking to your colleague ( if you are addressing another customer it's understood it's first come first served)

More or less things worked though I ended up calling the staff once or twice to get my TV to work - which was really slow in starting up. The shower funnily gave up the last day- but I suppose that can happen anywhere- and the checkout staff was apologetic about it.

Think a 3 star business hotel and you will probably not be disappointed. The food is good, as is the fitness center- and the staff is competent. Good enough for the road warrior - I suppose.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Vikrant,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and your stay! It helps us a lot in getting feedback on our hotel and staff.

Reading your comments it is good to understand that our staff went out of their way to improve your stay, inlcuding an early check in on the arrival day.

Sadly, I can not find any details of your stay based on the information provided in your profile, so it is hard to comments on some details. It is, for example, a good practice to upgrade long staying guests to a larger room, but only if we heve those available. Without dates of your stay, I can not say that this was true or not. I will gladly proivde you with a more elaborate answer if you could only send me the dates of your stay and the name your reservation was made under. This can be sent to h0515@accor.com.

Overall, I read from your comment that we have been able to provide you with a good place to stay for your trip to Amsterdam and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Kind regards,

Remco Groenhuyzen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

this place although not in city centere but is just a 20 min tram ride from there...novotel is a modern hotel...very nice. newly renovated....compared to European standards this is a big place...

good restaurants and very big rooms....

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear ru80,

Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor. This is very much appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in the nearest future at Novotel Amsterdam City!

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

My husband and I spent 5 nights at the Novotel Amsterdam City and loved it. It is very clean and modern and the staff was superb. Like another reviewer stated, the breakfast was utterly fabulous. I was new to Amsterdam and the staff was so helpful with directions and advice. The beds are extremely comfortable. Getting into downtown Amsterdam is easy with a 2 minute walk to the number 4 tram that is very convenient to many different tourist attractions. An added bonus is that the hotel has a great gift shop with many Dutch made goods.........

Room Tip: we upgraded to a corner room with an Nespresso maker and is larger than a standard
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear csitcov,

Thank you so much for writing such a positive review. This is very much appreciated. We are glad to read our staff looked after your wonderful stay.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the nearest future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I spend just two days at this hotel but left with a very positive experience. Experienced, highly professional and caring staff from people at the desk to their colleagues at the restaurant and maids.
Breakfast utterly fabulous.
What could and should be improved though is the selection of TV stations. I don't know why there are so many nausea causing Russian propaganda TV stations available, while major western networks such as CNN, Fox are not. More balance desperately needed.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear DeSouches,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are glad you had a nice stay at Novotel Amsterdam City.

Indeed, we do not have the television channels CNN and FOX. We can choose between different packages of 17 channels and unfortunately these two are not included. Our apologies.

Hopefully we could welcome you back in the nearest future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. Although it is a little out of the way of the city centre, the tram near the hotel is takes you straight there. It was easier to get to from the airport and as you walk in the hotel is beautiful. My room was nice and clean, free wifi and quite modern. Food at the restaurant was delicious. Overall a lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear GlitterR0se,

Thank you so much for your positive review. This is very much appreciated by me and our team. Hopefully we could welcome you back in the nearest future at Novotel Amsterdam City.

Heemstede, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Working in the vicinity of the Novotel in Amsterdam's business district and having never been to the Novotel for lunch, I thought I should try it out. I visited with a colleague and a visitor from France. On the way to the hotel we were joking about how Amsterdam is the Bad Service Capital of Europe. I think we were tempting fate.
We were shown to out table fairly promptly and seated. They asked us whether we wanted menu's in English or Dutch. We said English and got Dutch. And then we were ignored. For a long time. We joked about terrible service. No one came. We waved at staff who demonstrated that unique ability to stare through customers and walk on.

Now it's not like they were busy. There were maybe 20 guests seated and four dining room staff. Finally, after much waiving and trying to get attention, a waitress came to take our order. Seeing as how they had completely forgotten to ask us for our drinks we ordered food and drinks at the same time. And then we waited. And waited. And waived. And waited, Finally, a different waiter felt he couldn't reasonably avoid us any longer and approached the table. We asked for our drinks (again) and maybe some bread.

And guess what? We waited. and waited and waited. Finally, to our complete surprise our drinks arrived and a few minutes later the bread. The next period of waiting probably wasn't interminable but it did seem that way. The food finally arrived and it was actually very good.

A good meal spoilt by dreadful service. The worst thing was, that my colleague had warned me that the service was "one of the poorest in Amsterdam" - and she was right.

Room Tip: Eat somewhere else
Dear Nigel C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a on TripAdvisor.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Due to the fact I can not read when you have had lunch, so I could discuss this with my team, I would like you to ask to contact me directly.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

At first glance, the hotel seems very nice as the lobby is updated and the bar/restaurant are new. However, there are many items with which I take exception:

1. The rooms themselves are dated, at best. While the lobby looks nice, the rooms are clearly where the money ran out. They are not dilapidated, but they are certainly not to the quality of other hotels in the area.
2. The size of the rooms is prototypical of European hotels -- very small. While this is not necessarily a knock on the establishment due to the norm, it was still a surprising price for the size.
3. Cancellation -- My coworkers and I are spending extra days in Amsterdam due to the cost actually being cheaper than flying out earlier. However, we were told we could not cancel part of our reservation 3 days in advance of that component, in order to switch hotels to one closer to downtown. This seems unreasonable.
4. Internet -- My BIGGEST complaint. As a business professional needing to stay in constant contact with both the office and customers, I find it hard to swallow when the internet is not reliable or fast. Frankly, the internet at this hotel is the single worst internet I've experienced anywhere on the planet (no exaggeration, truly the least reliable). i'm shocked that this can be acceptable when every single person of the 200+ attendees and exhibitors are using the internet (namely wireless) to do work. I would much rather pay 15 euros/day for reliable and fast internet, than have free useless internet. Be very aware that if you intend to do any video conferencing, tv streaming, or other modern internet tasks, that you will likely be subject to serious tests of patience.

Other than all of that, the place is ok. I don't plan on coming back unless I'm required to for work - look somewhere else for fun and profit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Liam K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

Regarding our rooms. These are renovated a few years ago into Novation rooms. The sice is 24 square metre which is the standard of a 4-star hotel in Europe. I believe in the USA the rooms are much bigger, but this is the standard of Novotel.
Unfortunately I can not check your reservation, due to the fact I do not know your last name. There are different kind of rates to book: refundable or non-refundable. If you think you will need to have the possiblity to cancel your reservation, my advice is to book a flexible rate.
My sincerest apologies the WIFI was very slowly. Did you have contact our reception or our Manager on Duty? We do have cable internet, so the speed will be much faster.

Hopefully we could welcome you back in the nearest future.

Remco Groenhuyzen

Been to Novotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!