“Short but pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Europaboulevard 10, 1083 AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands   |
Special Offer
EARLY BOOKING - UP TO 30%
Ranked #85 of 344 Hotels in Amsterdam
“Short but pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

I spend just two days at this hotel but left with a very positive experience. Experienced, highly professional and caring staff from people at the desk to their colleagues at the restaurant and maids.
Breakfast utterly fabulous.
What could and should be improved though is the selection of TV stations. I don't know why there are so many nausea causing Russian propaganda TV stations available, while major western networks such as CNN, Fox are not. More balance desperately needed.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear DeSouches,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are glad you had a nice stay at Novotel Amsterdam City.

Indeed, we do not have the television channels CNN and FOX. We can choose between different packages of 17 channels and unfortunately these two are not included. Our apologies.

Hopefully we could welcome you back in the nearest future.

Remco Groenhuyzen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Stayed here for one night on a business trip. Although it is a little out of the way of the city centre, the tram near the hotel is takes you straight there. It was easier to get to from the airport and as you walk in the hotel is beautiful. My room was nice and clean, free wifi and quite modern. Food at the restaurant was delicious. Overall a lovely stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear GlitterR0se,

Thank you so much for your positive review. This is very much appreciated by me and our team. Hopefully we could welcome you back in the nearest future at Novotel Amsterdam City.

Heemstede, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Working in the vicinity of the Novotel in Amsterdam's business district and having never been to the Novotel for lunch, I thought I should try it out. I visited with a colleague and a visitor from France. On the way to the hotel we were joking about how Amsterdam is the Bad Service Capital of Europe. I think we were tempting fate.
We were shown to out table fairly promptly and seated. They asked us whether we wanted menu's in English or Dutch. We said English and got Dutch. And then we were ignored. For a long time. We joked about terrible service. No one came. We waved at staff who demonstrated that unique ability to stare through customers and walk on.

Now it's not like they were busy. There were maybe 20 guests seated and four dining room staff. Finally, after much waiving and trying to get attention, a waitress came to take our order. Seeing as how they had completely forgotten to ask us for our drinks we ordered food and drinks at the same time. And then we waited. And waited. And waived. And waited, Finally, a different waiter felt he couldn't reasonably avoid us any longer and approached the table. We asked for our drinks (again) and maybe some bread.

And guess what? We waited. and waited and waited. Finally, to our complete surprise our drinks arrived and a few minutes later the bread. The next period of waiting probably wasn't interminable but it did seem that way. The food finally arrived and it was actually very good.

A good meal spoilt by dreadful service. The worst thing was, that my colleague had warned me that the service was "one of the poorest in Amsterdam" - and she was right.

Room Tip: Eat somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Nigel C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a on TripAdvisor.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Due to the fact I can not read when you have had lunch, so I could discuss this with my team, I would like you to ask to contact me directly.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

At first glance, the hotel seems very nice as the lobby is updated and the bar/restaurant are new. However, there are many items with which I take exception:

1. The rooms themselves are dated, at best. While the lobby looks nice, the rooms are clearly where the money ran out. They are not dilapidated, but they are certainly not to the quality of other hotels in the area.
2. The size of the rooms is prototypical of European hotels -- very small. While this is not necessarily a knock on the establishment due to the norm, it was still a surprising price for the size.
3. Cancellation -- My coworkers and I are spending extra days in Amsterdam due to the cost actually being cheaper than flying out earlier. However, we were told we could not cancel part of our reservation 3 days in advance of that component, in order to switch hotels to one closer to downtown. This seems unreasonable.
4. Internet -- My BIGGEST complaint. As a business professional needing to stay in constant contact with both the office and customers, I find it hard to swallow when the internet is not reliable or fast. Frankly, the internet at this hotel is the single worst internet I've experienced anywhere on the planet (no exaggeration, truly the least reliable). i'm shocked that this can be acceptable when every single person of the 200+ attendees and exhibitors are using the internet (namely wireless) to do work. I would much rather pay 15 euros/day for reliable and fast internet, than have free useless internet. Be very aware that if you intend to do any video conferencing, tv streaming, or other modern internet tasks, that you will likely be subject to serious tests of patience.

Other than all of that, the place is ok. I don't plan on coming back unless I'm required to for work - look somewhere else for fun and profit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, March 21, 2014
Dear Liam K,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

Regarding our rooms. These are renovated a few years ago into Novation rooms. The sice is 24 square metre which is the standard of a 4-star hotel in Europe. I believe in the USA the rooms are much bigger, but this is the standard of Novotel.
Unfortunately I can not check your reservation, due to the fact I do not know your last name. There are different kind of rates to book: refundable or non-refundable. If you think you will need to have the possiblity to cancel your reservation, my advice is to book a flexible rate.
My sincerest apologies the WIFI was very slowly. Did you have contact our reception or our Manager on Duty? We do have cable internet, so the speed will be much faster.

Hopefully we could welcome you back in the nearest future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Compared to Novotels in Germany and France this one was outstanding in customer service. Checkin procedures and treatment by hotel staff was perceived very individual and welcoming.
Standard, rooms, clean.
Breakfast rich and divese, individual whishes have been considered quick and entirely.
One should try their special tea at the bar in the evening ;)

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear TravellerHH-NSW,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review. This is very much appreciated.
I am sorry to read you find our fitness equipment not enough compared to other hotels. Our apologies.

Detroit
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I stayed for 2 nights at this hotel on 1st week of March 2014. It took only 15-20 mins to reach the Hotel from Airport and it was convenient for me to walk to my office (about 1.5 to 2 kms)

To start with the Check in was breezy and efficient. You will see a small paid cafeteria in the entrance lounge for a guest meetings etc, good touch. I stayed on the 4th floor.

The problem i had was with the quality of the room itself. With the Novotel brand i was hoping for a well done room but the room was completed outdated with old furniture and bed. Even the hot water kettle itself was not maintained well. So it was disappointing from that standpoint.

The WiFI connection was horrible and i had to call the front desk multiple times to fix it and finally they couldnt. So they asked me to use the Wired one for the laptop and my iphone / ipad was still left connectionless.

If i look at the bright side the breakfast was outstanding. I enjoyed the breakfast for both the days with a good reception and a much better varieties.

Would not suggest for family, couples and it is ok to stay if you are on a short business trip.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Vijays,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I am glad to read you had a nice stay and enjoyed our breakfast buffet.

My sincerest apologies the WIFI did not work well in your room, which is offcourse very important to our guests. We did had some problems with the connection during your stay, but fortunately these are solved.

We are looking forward to welcome you in the nearest future!

Remco Groenhuyzen

Been to Novotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!