“Good hotel, nice people” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
EARLY BOOKING - UP TO 30%
Ranked #84 of 345 Hotels in Amsterdam
Pune, India
“Good hotel, nice people”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I traveled to Amsterdam on business, spending a week there enjoying the sights and the museums. The Novotel was an excellent choice for a home base while I was there. The hotel is modern, clean, and the staff does an outstanding job of answering questions and otherwise helping out.

restaurant has been good and we had nice dinners every day.

Worth staying.

Room Tip: entire hotel is fine from all sides.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Amit2403,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Amsterdam City.

Remco Groenhuyzen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I traveled to Amsterdam by myself, spending a week there enjoying the sights and the museums. The Novotel was an excellent choice for a home base while I was there. The hotel is modern, clean, and the staff does an outstanding job of answering questions and otherwise helping out. The breakfast buffet is wonderful, with a wide range of hot and cold options. Being so close to RAI, the transit connections are excellent, with rail, bus, tram (line 4) and Metro (lines 50 and 51) a 5 minute walk away. The airport is two stops away (about a dozen minutes) by Sprinter train. Tram line 5 is the "museum line" and is available just one Metro stop away at WTC/Zuid. If you stay there, I recommend an unlimited transit pass (by day/days), as you will use it a decent amount to get around. The hotel itself is a bit too far from things to be a "walking everywhere" hotel, but that also makes it easy to chill out and not feel as if every moment of your trip is about being a tourist.

Because this hotel offers the ideal mix of local and tourist flavor, it is my preferred hotel in Amsterdam.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear WaltEP,

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I was given a gift to go have lunch at this hotel on the 29th of November 2013. It was a very nice experience. I myself have worked in hotels for about 10 years and still do so at this moment. Even though this is not even the hotel chain I myself work for I have to give credit where credit is due.

Upon entering the hotel me and wife welcomed with smiles, exactly the way it should be!. We were kindly directed to the restaurant by the front desk agent. He had his cubicle clean, tight and organized. Also the way it should be! Unfortunately I did not get his name but to the gentleman I had asked for a comment card, my props go out to you.

Next the restaurant: upon entering this area we were welcomed with smiles again by Beatrice and Daphne. Beatrice directed us to 2 tables we could choose from at the window. Just the way I like it. As a guest at this hotel I value choices. My wife and I were very well taken care by these 2 ladies and we enjoyed the chitchat we had with Daphne.
I could see Daphne was new working there and later during one of Daphne's pleasant chitchats she confirmed this. Even though she was new I still compliment her on the good job she did.

Next the Food: I myself had the penne bolognese and the chocolate mouse. My wife had the beef on a kind of sandwich and a fruit salad. To the kitchen nicely done! my pasta saus was almost perfect, not to watery and full of taste. I tasted the beef of my wife which was great. It was ordered medium done and that's exactly the way my wife got it. However I do have a suggestion; this may be just me but I hate rucola I would suggest that upon taking an order of pasta to check with the guest if they would want rucola on the pasta. I will admit it looks nicer on the plate but not everybody like it. about the plates; the plates were nice and clean, the wine glasses the same.

In general: A very good experience!! The lobby was clean, the restaurant was clean the staff is polite and friendly. And most important, smiles everywhere!!

Room Tip: we did not spend the night
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Joshua D.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your lunch at the Novotel Amsterdam City.

New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

The pleasant pale coloured green exterior lends credibility to the ecology policy of the hotel which is quite comfortable in most respects. Reception staff was pleasant but too helpful-acting like a concierge to the new arrivals so the check in was too slow.
Location is great if you have an event in RAI or the adjoining Conference Center. Rates vary with the events happening in these two venues and so value for money varies. The location from the airport (10 mins and 2.50 euro ticket) to the nearby Amsterdam RAI station makes an ideal location for many, though tourists would need a daily ticket (7.50e) to go to town and move around by tram (25 mins) or Metro (15 mins) (single journey tickets are available though).
Rooms are comfortable and decent sizes with a small sofa to relax on. View is not great but that is a locational issue. The housekeeping is very poor though. You will be woken up before 8 for cleaning the room unless you put the 'Don't Disturb sign. The standard of cleaning is the worst I have seen in years. Everything lying on the table, floor, sink, is left untouched and room is left untidy. I could not find the TV remote and on the last evening started looking for it frantically lest I were billed for it. It was ensconced under the cushions on the sofa-not touched for TWO days! Perhaps, the staff is overworked and they are given very little time to clean a room because of the huge number of rooms (over 400, I think).
Breakfast room is huge with perhaps 200 covers. But the railway platform look is somehow avoided by breaking it into 3 compartmentalized zones. The variety is quite sumptuous too with good service by the staff.
Did someone complain about the WiFi? It's the best I have found in the world so far! Of course, its free and works well in the room, restaurant and lobby. But they even have 4 Mac machines with wide screens and a software that takes you to any email site, airlines etc, in a second. The Net speed is amazing, I thought. The lobby has been refurbished and my room wasn't so far (refurbishing is being done in steps) but still it was fine. The hotel even sells the day tickets by local transport- a very helpful feature. There is a Spa that I didn't use so can't comment. In short, ideal for some-not so attractive to others.

Room Tip: Try a room on the higher floor
Dear wineguyindia,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review on Tripadvisor.

We very much appreciate your positive comments in general regarding your stay at the Novotel Amsterdam City.

I am sorry to read the cleanliness of your room was not what you have expected. The room maids start every morning at 8.30 a.m. to start cleaning the check outs. Usually after mid day they will start cleaning the stay overs. According to procedure they are not allowed to touch and/or remove the things of the guest. This to avoid missing things.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

I like this Hotel , wonderful place as its located on quite area with no noise at all yet it’s still close to the city center by using the tram , only 15 minutes you will reach the Dam Square , 20 M to reach the central station and 10 minutes by train to reach the Airport .

If you are birder , its ideal location due to the nice opposite park where you can spot many birds and squirrels . also 10 Minutes walk from the hotel you could see the Typical Dutch landmark …a wonderful Windmill!

If you are Business man , it’s also so close to Rai conference center just 5 Minutes walk !

Friendly Staff, nice rooms and delicious breakfast.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear egisioux,

Thank you for taking the time to write a positive review on Tripadvisor.

Nice to read you have noticed all the different birds and squirrels in our 'Amsterdamse Bos'.

Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Efficient reception upon check in. Room is nice and adequately sized. Breakfast is good. Location is good for RAI, though a little bit far from Amsterdam downtown. The tram station and NS train station is within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Micjas,

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questionnaire.

Rabat
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Let me start with, this is not my typical type of hotel. Most of my traveling is for pleasure and cultural immersion. I tend to stay at accommodations that are above a hostel but below, or at least at the low end of, a three-figured price. I was booked here by work for a conference. Even with our group discount, this hotel cost more than i would normally spend on a hotel. I thought this would be an opportunity to see how the "upper-class" travelled. My conclusion: stupidly.

The location was great for the conference at the RAI centre. And even though it's not downtown, it was easy to get around because you're close to the train, trams and buses. As well, the nearby neighbourhoods have a lot to offer with reasonably priced restaurants and stores.

But the hotel itself, although nice on the surface, was horrible.

The wifi must be hacked from another hotel or cafe. It was shockingly slow and unreliable. Some days we gave up on trying something as simple as reading emails.

The rooms themselves were fine. However, I'm a little disgusted by the cleaning habits. I shared the room with a colleague for a convention, who luckily happens to be a friend. But I still didn't appreciate the forced closeness of the towels and pillows. We didn't put our towels in the tub to be replaced. We put them in separate areas so that we could access them later. The cleaning staff moved them both to the bathroom. They obviously weren't new ones. Who's was who's?!? And, because of the different sizes of pillows, we know that they interchanged the pillows from one bed to another. Not reassuring in terms of cleanliness.

At check-in there was a mistake with our reservation. We had to take an upgraded room for one night at almost double the cost. The added benefit? A few extra toiletries and the use of a terry cloth robe. There was also mention of free use of the mini bar, but because the description if its "freeness" kept changing we opted not to risk drinking a 10€ bottle of water.

Our company emailed immediately to the group reservations to take care of the confusion. When we checked with the front desk the next day, we were told that everything was taken care of, the first night was included with the booked reservation, and we would not be charged personally. So we didn't pursue the matter any further. However, at check out on Sunday (3 days later), when we could no longer contact anyone, we were told that we had to pay for the first night. We explained that we were told differently earlier. However the person checking us out didn't care.

At this point we don't know if we've double paid for the room. Yes, work will eventually pay us back. But with exchange rates, bank transfer fees, and credit card charges, we are now out money for no reason other than incompetence and indifference on the part of the staff. Absolutely shameful ... especially given the rates and the ratings of the hotel.

I would never return to the hotel. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. If I needed to return for a conference, I would make my own reservations somewhere else. Very disappointing stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear charli246,

Thank you for taking the time to tell about your experience at the Novotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations. I would like to express my sincerest apologies.

Could you please let me know by e-mail when you have stayed in our hotel and what your room number was? In this way I could check with my team what happened and I can take the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Looking forward to hear from you.

H0515-AM@accor.com

Been to Novotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!