“greatly enjoyed” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Europaboulevard 10, Amsterdam 1083 AD, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #81 of 343 hotels in Amsterdam
“greatly enjoyed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Very comfortable and clean.Stayed in one of the NH hotels beforehand and really noticed extra comfort at this hotel (from duvets/television to hairdryer). Serious breakfasts, personally prefer not to eat huge amounts in morning and is an expense better put towards dinner in town! Tram gets into centre very quickly so it's not too far out (although I suppose if one is out for nightlife it might be more difficult as trams stop at some point). oh, was on fourth floor which had no internet reception in room, and my bed was slightly uneven so if was on right side, facing wall, nearly rolled off!! only negatives!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Clare S,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Novotel Amsterdam City. I have shared your comments with the team, so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations.

We would like to apologize for the fact that the WIFI Internet connection wasn’t working in your room and that you experienced an instable bed. Due to the anonymity of Tripadvisor it is highly appreciated if you could inform us on H0515-AM@accor.com in which room you stayed so that we can solve the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Once more we would like to thank you for your kind words and your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel.

With kind regards,
Remco Groenhuyzen

NOVOTEL Amsterdam City
Europaboulevard 10
NL-1083 AD Amsterdam

1,321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Turkish first
Narooma, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights on a European tour. Hotel was tired and needed some TLC to make it attractive and comfortable for recommendation. Room size was good and inclusions were standard except for the paper coffee cups and plastic water cups. Must be a Novotel standard as we experienced the same in another Novotel hotel during our tour. Breakfast selection was good and seating arrangements comfortable without being over crowded. Porters were slow with luggage delivery which was frustrating. Hotel is located out of the city centre with very little close by for shopping or eating. In room wifi was included in our package foc but was very slow and next to useless. Need to improve before I could recommend a stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Came to stay at this hotel as part of package deal and this will be the one and only time i accept the hotel based on the package price. The location was fine and the tram runs frequently so isn't and issue to use as a base for exploring the city. However on checking we were told rooms wouldn't be ready until after 4 which was OK as this is the advised check in time and we were the ones that were early. Basically if we wanted a twin we could get in but if we wanted a double we had to wait. I understand that doubles are more popular so it wasn't a problem at first. I might add that when i first started dealing with the receptionist he presumed i wanted twin rooms, a) this is rude to presume, b) in such a liberal city i do not expect the service to become abrupt when two men ask for double, get with the 21st century please. So we decided to get a coffee for the cafe in the hotel lobby. Wish we hadn't bothered, tea was disgusting, ordered two croissants and was given one plate, even when i said they were for two people (shouldn't have to explain when my partner is stood next to me and we've ordered two drinks!! I was looked at as if i was being awkward! While eating i noticed other people were arriving after us and were receiving keys i did think i maybe because they were in twin rooms rather than doubles but after a while too many loved up couples passed me so sent the partner over who...came back with keys after being told the rooms were made available 10mins ago! Now this was at 2:20pm not gone four like i was told...bad service! Room was clean and tidy very comfortable and I stumbled across the only polite member of staff in the entire hotel the maid on floor 8! She was amazing and after the check in experience i could have hugged her. She looked after us for a our stay and she deserves a front desk job!!! On check out it didn't get much better. You see going back to check in a couple next to us were questioning the deposit (you have to put 70euros on a credit card or pay in cash, if using a debit card your money isn't reserved as such with a credit card it is taken there and then and they will only refund you in cash!!) Now i paid on debit so took the additional exchange rates on but that was my decision. So expecting my 70euros cash was told the money was never taken it was instead reserved....stark contrast to the conversation of the couple next to me on check in day!!! Any way unable to check my money hadn't been taken i had to leave without 70euros and trust this team of story tellers. Overall i will not return and found the staff awkward, happy to give varying stories to best keep the customer quiet and unhelpful.

Room Tip: Rooms at back of hotel are quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.com. I am sorry to read that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Your feedback gives us the opportunity to improve our service level. Therefore please rest assured that I will meet with the teams involved to inform them of your comments and make sure of preventing of happening again.

At this point it is difficult to investigate what went wrong upon your arrival at the hotel. In Amsterdam, as you write yourself, it is not uncommon for two gentleman to stay in the same room. Presumably it was the first time for the Front Office Associate to experience this and apparently he/she gave a surprised look. Nevertheless I would like to point out that whatever gender you prefer, it is fully accepted in our hotel.

While you waited for your room to be ready, you noticed that other guests did collect their room key even though they arrived later than you did. The only explanation I could think of is that this group was to be expected to arrive at a certain time and informed us about their estimated time of arrival. We always work with a queue when guests arrive early and when a room becomes available will be appointed to the first guest in line. Nevertheless, the Front Office should have informed you about this procedure in order to prevent you of feeling neglected.

I trust that with this writing I have taken away a part of your negative feeling. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

With kind regards,

Remco Groenhuyzen

NOVOTEL Amsterdam City
Europaboulevard 10
NL-1083 AD Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

If you are visiting a show or event at the Amsterdam RAI Exhibition Centre, this without question is the place to stay.

The location is perfect - a five minute walk to the RAI - and the whole service ethos of the hotel is fast and unfussy to cater for the busy and often stressed exhibition visitor and convention delegate.

Rooms are modern and clean and while not luxurious, certainly are plenty comfortable enough if essentially all you are doing is requiring somewhere to lay your head after a long day at a show.

The bar/restaurant is good too and I thought the breakfast selection in particular had an unusual and very cosmopolitan range of options.

On the last day of exhibitions, the queue for checking out can be quite lengthy I have found, but the front desk staff do seem willing to handle the admin the night before which is a boon.

Room Tip: South-facing rooms tend to get hot during summer months due to solar gain.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

what can i say . . . it is a nice lovely comfortable hotel and the staff are so helpfull and cooperative.
room are excellent and the breakfast is really full.
location is to far from the center but you can take the tram which is near the hotel tram number 4 to take you to Dam square . . trams are so slow 30 minutes t be there.
Muayad
State of Kuwait

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Preston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The hotel was the place selected by event organisers as the place to stay. Ordinarily I would research hotels in the area, then book.

On entering the hotel I was struck by the wonder modern look and feel of the reception. On arriving hours earlier than the suggested time to check, the staff couldn't have been more helpful in ensuring I had my room without any delay.

The room has all the normal facilities you'd expect, however, the free wifi signal was weak. This could have been that the room was at the end of the corridor, farthest from the central areas. I had several minor bug bares; I hate paper cups for brews in the room, the lack on none powdered milk, there was some dirty marks on the wallpaper, the pillows were not sufficient and the mini bar had two items inside. Whilst these are minor issues, it really irritated me that wifi and the TV went down on for some 5 hours, which meant I was unable to work. I should give due credit to the hotel for attempting to keep me informed, however, where the communication was good, it was repetitive and inaccurate. if they'd have said it was going to be down all afternoon and or understood their system, I would have found somewhere else to work.

The food was really good, not too expensive ie. 20 euro for steak, breakfast had plenty of choice.

Lastly, ive never been offered refund. I booked online, paid online then as told taxes or lack of eating breakfast I was entitled to the refund... happy days... All in all, a very pleasant experience and the manager should be pleased and proud of the staff...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Be aware that this hotel is not right in Amsterdam city - despite its name. However it is less than five minutes walk to the tram stop ( the end of the number 4 tram line), the train / metro station, and about ten minutes walk to the RAI Convention Centre. It is also quite close to Schipol airport. The rooms are clean and comfortable in the Novotel style, and the restaurant offers a good breakfast buffet and wide menu. There is a 'cafe' in the reception area where I got a coffee and croissant on the go, which is a good option to have. It's a good choice as long as you don't want a city centre location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Been to Novotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!