“Best Novotel I have ever stayed in” 5 of 5 stars

UP TO 30% - EARLY BOOKING
Ranked #83 of 346 Hotels in Amsterdam
Certificate of Excellence 2014
East Linton, United Kingdom
“Best Novotel I have ever stayed in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Back in 2010 I stayed at this hotel for a number of months even stranded there because of the ash cloud from Iceland - at the time I was really impressed - ACCOR had invested a great amount of money in turning what was a medium size hotel into a first rate convention hotel.

On my return I found that it was still as good as i remembered;
Good food in the restaurant; reasonably priced menu and and good facilities like the coffee shop and snack bar normal bar plus a small shop selling newspapers etc. it was all very new...
Staying there again this month (February 2013) I was very impressed that three members of staff remembered me and greeted me very warmly it was a pleasure to be back.
It is the people in any service organisation that make the difference, And for me it is that reason that I give the rating all aspects of this hotel are 1st class - the check in check out service in the restaurant I especially enjoy the cook to order service at Breakfast
I want to congratulate Remco Groenhuyzen on such a well running hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Sir, Dear Eric of Ayr,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel on Tripadvisor.com.

We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your recent stay at the Novotel Amsterdam City.

Of course I will share your comments with my team, so that they are aware of their contribution in helping to satisfy you and meet your expectations. Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward - thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel Amsterdam City.

NL-1083 AD Amsterdam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
england
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hotel wasn't our choice, me and my husband had been given a few days break in amsterdam as a christmas present from family, when booking they requested a hotel in amsterdam so the tour operator was at fault here.
The first problem was finding the tram, it took 30 mins to arrive at our destination and 15 euro for a day pass, upon arrival was greeted by the staff at checkin and was told that we hadn't even got a breakfast and it was 15 euros each which was on offer as it was originaly 23 euros as is states in the brochure breakfast was inculded, the checkin staff was rude he stated that they had a no smoking policy and not to even try which i thought was a bit abrupt also to give them a credit card so if you actually purchased any thing you would be charged ( understandable ).
the room was ok nothing special but again i felt as if every thing was about the money, even down to the tv in the room was another 10 euro for more channels, we only stayed the one night and checked out early the checkin staff wasn't happy about this i explained it was to far to travel in to amsterdam and booked the hotel which we have stayed in before and then we could enjoy our stay in amsterdam not in the middle of nowere which is were this hotel is, my personal view is that it shouldn't be part of the mini break.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mrs. Gold,

Thank you for taking the time to inform us and other travelers about your stay at Novotel Amsterdam City. I am sorry to read that your experience did not entirely meet your expectations. I therefore would like to reply on some of your comments in order to inform other travelers about this review.

I regret the fact that you were not well informed on the location of our hotel. Novotel Amsterdam City is located in the south part of Amsterdam, close to the business centre ‘Zuid As’ and the RAI Congress & Exhibition Centre. Public transport facilities are available in close vicinity of the hotel. Tram number 4 is a direct line from the RAI station within a 3 minute walk of the hotel and brings you in about 20 minutes to Dam Square. Metro 51 brings you in 15 minutes to Central Station and the train brings you to Schiphol Airport within 10 minutes. All options run until midnight. A taxi stand is located on the hotel premises and taxi’s are available 24/7.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. The fact that you have felt incorrectly treated upon arrival by the Front Office clerk has been discussed in full detail with the department involved in order to prevent future occurrence.

Novotel Amsterdam City is a 100% non-smoking property. In the Netherlands it is prohibited by law to smoke in public buildings. Therefore we have set standard procedures regarding this policy and we highlight it to all our guests upon arrival. A € 70,- credit card authorization per night is also asked upon arrival for any incidentals you might use.

In our hotel rooms we offer a so called multimedia package for € 9,95 per 24 hours. This includes high speed internet and a selection of recently released movies. Apart from that we offer a large selection of television channels in different languages free of charge.

Leaving the hotel earlier than expected could mean that no refund is given, depending on the conditions applicable upon booking the room. As one of your relatives booked through a local agent, it might be possible that the room was fully pre-paid. It is upon your desire to leave earlier than expected, however the consequences for early departure are at your own expenses.

Of course, taking your review into consideration I regret the fact that the above has affected your overall feeling of your visit to Amsterdam. I do thank you for informing us on this matter and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

NOVOTEL AMSTERDAM CITY

Greater New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My family and I stayed for 6 nights between Christmas and New year and we love the hotel! It is only two train stops away from Schiphol and has good connection into the city centre via tram and subway.
The hotel is modernly designed, the room is clean and well maintained but slightly on a small side. The hotel has great breakfast selections; the staff are friendly and "very very" attentive to kids. We would stay here again and highly recommend to anyone. Family friendly hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the stadium
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Crewe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Excellent hotel. Great transport links into city centre. Tram stop 200m away. Staff are brilliant. Room service was fantastic. Food was awesome, best hotel food we've had. Excellent would recommend to anyone. Modern, stylish and super clean. Brilliant bathroom facilities in room. We stayed on the 13th floor and had lovely views over the city.

• Stayed February 2013
RGroenhuyzen, General Manager at Novotel Amsterdam City, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Crewe,

Positive feedback from satisfied clients is our greatest reward - thank you.

We look forward to welcoming you again at Novotel Amsterdam City.

Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

there are simply not enough lifts. we have to wait more than 5 minutes just to get onto a lift, another 5 minutes to reach the lobby during peak hour in the morning.

other than that it is a great hotel

Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us and other travelers on Tripadvisor about your recent stay a at Novotel Amsterdam City.

I am sorry to read that you experienced delays when using our elevators. Unfortunately while you were staying with us we in fact faced some operational failures on our elevators. We tried our utmost to limit the inconvenience as much as possible, however please allow me to express my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

All four elevators are fully operational again and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. We look forward welcoming you again at Novotel.

Monthey, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My second stay at the novotel was excellent! I was there for 2 nights during the BlackBerry Jam. The hotel was really busy, but everyone was friendly and really professional.

I had no issue (except the waiting time to get a cocktail (around 30min)) but with that many people drinking everywhere, I wont complain!

The room was really quiet, the bed was good but not amazing.

Free wifi internet or paid cable.

A perfect choice if you have to spend days at the RAI.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Novotel Amsterdam City? Share your experiences!