“Very nice people” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Studio 14

Studio 14
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Studio 14
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 330, 1012 GM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #248 of 303 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Portugal
“Very nice people”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

Of course it's not a hotel with amazing amenities and services, but if you look for a simple and cheap place just for a few nights, near the city centre (but sillent), this hostel is perfect.
We just have stayed 2 nights but the couple who work there were extremely nice and friendly, puting us at ease to use the kitchen and lent us DVD's :)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

Yes, we also had a hitch with the rooms on arrival but that looks like it was the internet website rather than the B&B itself.

Yes, the rooms aren't the lap of luxury but they ARE clean and well maintained.

We had a real mix of guests and found that, although the place may be more geared up to twenty-somethings who are looking for a 'relaxing' weekend in Amsterdam, the people at the hotel were very approachable and very flexible and offered help and advice that you simply wouldn't get in an impersonal hotel.

Don't try this one if you want a pristine hotel but do try it if you want a central location and a place where you can make yourself at home.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

I would definitely come back and stay here again.. the rooms are lovely and spacious and clean.. Staff are friendly, so helpful and breakfast is great..
Location is central, and in walking distance of the central station, really easy to get around and find most things!
Thanks David and co for making our stay so much fun!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Lancashire, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

Upon Arrival
My wife and I have been to Amsterdam on many occasions. We booked on-line and read these reviews first before checking out any other travel references. I wish we had read Trip Adviser first.
We arrived at 16.30 to be greeted by a post-it note on the door telling us to ring 2 mobile numbers in order to get in! We were not happy. After 30 minutes of trying to find a telephone box, we decided to try knocking again. This time, a man opened the door to us who looked a little dazed and confused to put it lightly. Eventually he let us in and we met Balou? We got the same story about the credit card machine being broken and he suggested we get cash or write our details down for it to be faxed through. We kicked off and wanted to cancel. He added that we'd still have to pay 90% of the cost of the room, but we still kicked off. By the end, he agreed to ring our card details through and get the payment approved. The room we booked on the internet was 80 Euros. He charged us £85. City Tax he said.
Accommodation
I have stayed in some questionable venues,as this place was one of the cheapest, I wasn't expecting the Hilton. However, the room was absolutely disgusting. The bed sheets hadn't been washed, the window had a net curtain that didn't fit and no curtains and the bathroom floor was filthy. We didn't sleep much as all the floors creaked and you could hear conversations from the rooms adjacent. The morning after a restless night, we both discovered bites on us. I'm itching now thinking about it.
We left our keys with the man we first met and left vowing never to return. This ranks as the worst hotel we have ever stayed at.
AVOID IT.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Although the location was great, right on a canal, this only mattered if you had a room at the front. Our friends' room was at the back and was horrible. The curtains didn't fit and were hanging off; dirty towel in the bathroom; stains on the bedclothes - yuck!!!

The staff seemed really nice when we arrived and offered us iced water, but then said the credit card machine had broken so we had to pay cash (before we'd even seen the rooms - stupidity on our part). The next morning there was no-one around, so we couldn't even leave our bags in a locked room and had to lug them around with us. Have emailed the travel company to complain - but I won't hold my breath......

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
N.LONDON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Please stay away from this place - if you want to have a decent time in Amsterdam.

We booked 2 nights @ this place months ago.

We arrived in Amsterdam and made our way to Studio 14. When we got there we knocked about 5 times and had no answer. We had to ring the number when some gangster sounding guy just said 'They are there man, just keep knocking the door!!’

Eventually some lady answered the door and let us in. This guy called David sat us down in the living room and offered us a drink and said ' Guys please sit down as I have some news to tell you' so me and my friends faces dropped and he then said 'Don’t worry , its not bad'.

After he went into the dodgy looking kitchen to get some water he come back out and explained to us that there has been an error and we have been double booked, but he said don’t worry as I have set you up a room in the back of the kitchen.

I couldn't believe it, I actually laughed. He had set up 4 mattresses for us to sleep on in the back of this dodgy kitchen!

We then asked him if there was a toilet and shower to use, He said yes one minute, he then proceeded to lead us in what was someone’s room. We actually used a toilet of people who were staying there, I couldn't believe it, how did he know we wasn't going to rob these peoples possessions?

We then went out and popped back in, I asked David if we will have a toilet to use throughout the night. I could see him looking around the place trying to work out if anyone’s room was free, then he said ' Sorry you cannot use the toilet' This made me so angry, I joked saying 'there is a canal outside, I can use that' with all seriousness he replied ' Yes you can' We had to leave the place to calm down.

After coming back from our night out, we went into our 'room' tried to turn a light on and realized because it was a communal area they had turned the lights off, so we was in pitch black , no toilet , no shower - it was really a nightmare!

The next morning David came in and started making breakfast while people were walking in, in shock seeing us guys sleeping in the kitchen.

We spoke to David the next day and said we cannot be paying for that service and suggested we should be getting the first night for free but he said that he couldn't do that and offered us a 40% discount.

Eventually we got him down to 100 Euros for the 1st night - which I think was still way too high.

The 2nd night he gave us a room, but we had to wait until after 12 o clock and while we was waiting we got chatting to some other people that were staying there and 4 people told us exactly the same happened to them. It turned into a joke.

THIS IS A TERRIBLE SET UP STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Studio 14? Share your experiences!