“Could have spoilt our trip... but we wouldn't let it” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Studio 14

Studio 14
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Studio 14
Oudezijds Voorburgwal 330, 1012 GM Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)   |
Ranked #247 of 303 Amsterdam B&B and Inns
Portsmouth
“Could have spoilt our trip... but we wouldn't let it”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2009

Although the location was great, right on a canal, this only mattered if you had a room at the front. Our friends' room was at the back and was horrible. The curtains didn't fit and were hanging off; dirty towel in the bathroom; stains on the bedclothes - yuck!!!

The staff seemed really nice when we arrived and offered us iced water, but then said the credit card machine had broken so we had to pay cash (before we'd even seen the rooms - stupidity on our part). The next morning there was no-one around, so we couldn't even leave our bags in a locked room and had to lug them around with us. Have emailed the travel company to complain - but I won't hold my breath......

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

17 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
N.LONDON
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

Please stay away from this place - if you want to have a decent time in Amsterdam.

We booked 2 nights @ this place months ago.

We arrived in Amsterdam and made our way to Studio 14. When we got there we knocked about 5 times and had no answer. We had to ring the number when some gangster sounding guy just said 'They are there man, just keep knocking the door!!’

Eventually some lady answered the door and let us in. This guy called David sat us down in the living room and offered us a drink and said ' Guys please sit down as I have some news to tell you' so me and my friends faces dropped and he then said 'Don’t worry , its not bad'.

After he went into the dodgy looking kitchen to get some water he come back out and explained to us that there has been an error and we have been double booked, but he said don’t worry as I have set you up a room in the back of the kitchen.

I couldn't believe it, I actually laughed. He had set up 4 mattresses for us to sleep on in the back of this dodgy kitchen!

We then asked him if there was a toilet and shower to use, He said yes one minute, he then proceeded to lead us in what was someone’s room. We actually used a toilet of people who were staying there, I couldn't believe it, how did he know we wasn't going to rob these peoples possessions?

We then went out and popped back in, I asked David if we will have a toilet to use throughout the night. I could see him looking around the place trying to work out if anyone’s room was free, then he said ' Sorry you cannot use the toilet' This made me so angry, I joked saying 'there is a canal outside, I can use that' with all seriousness he replied ' Yes you can' We had to leave the place to calm down.

After coming back from our night out, we went into our 'room' tried to turn a light on and realized because it was a communal area they had turned the lights off, so we was in pitch black , no toilet , no shower - it was really a nightmare!

The next morning David came in and started making breakfast while people were walking in, in shock seeing us guys sleeping in the kitchen.

We spoke to David the next day and said we cannot be paying for that service and suggested we should be getting the first night for free but he said that he couldn't do that and offered us a 40% discount.

Eventually we got him down to 100 Euros for the 1st night - which I think was still way too high.

The 2nd night he gave us a room, but we had to wait until after 12 o clock and while we was waiting we got chatting to some other people that were staying there and 4 people told us exactly the same happened to them. It turned into a joke.

THIS IS A TERRIBLE SET UP STAY AWAY!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Studio 14? Share your experiences!