“Great find in Amsterdam” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Greetje

Greetje
Peperstraat 23, 1011 TJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Plantage & the East)
+31 20 7797450
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #152 of 2,765 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch, European, Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Plantage & the East
Description: A great restaurant in Amsterdam for experiencing delicious Dutch food in a friendly and cosy atmosphere.Quote from the New York Times T-Magazine December 21st, 2010:"I finally found a real taste of Holland. And it was so good, I’ve been back several times since. Located in the leafy district surrounding the Montelbaanse Tower, one of the prettiest parts of the city, this cozy dining room with wood-plank floors, bare wooden tables and old-fashioned wallpaper, is run by René Loven, who named it after his mother, an apparently gifted home cook whose smiling face appears on the cover of the menu. The place is invariably packed with a jolly crowd of locals sating themselves on beautifully cooked versions of the comfort food they loved to eat as children".Quote from the Washington Post article May 11th, 2008: "Named for the owner's mother, this cozy restaurant may be the best example of contemporary Dutch cooking outside a home. Here's the place to try tiny, tender local shrimp; delicate slices of Dutch lamb dressed up with chive-flecked potato salad; lightly smoked eel with herbed mayonnaise; and the tasty North Sea fish known as tub gurnard."
Limerick
“Great find in Amsterdam”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

If you are looking for a unique restaurant with outstanding food try Greetje, 10 mins walk from Centraal station. We tried the deluxe taster meal 49 euros a head. We had mixed starters and a selection mixed deserts. I had the monkfish and my wife had the veal. Both were exquisite. Service was very professional and it was a slowed paced meal which was perfect for our final romantic night in Amsterdam, it's a must for any couple seeking a unique restaurant away from the sea of steak houses and pizza joints

• Visited February 2014

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Perfect birthday treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

We booked online for this restaurant for my husband's 70th birthday meal as part of our stay in Amsterdam. We wanted a restaurant known for serving Dutch cuisine and this was recommended by Tripadvisor. We had a lovely meal in beautiful surroundings with a view over a canal - even the torrential rain could not spoil it for us. The menu was not too extensive and catered for all tastes, and was served in a timely fashion. I had casually mentioned that it was my husband's birthday as we were shown to our table, and the waiting staff appeared at the appropriate time with not only our dessert but a sparkling candle firework! They then proceeded to serenade him in perfect English! A memorable night in a lovely venue with faultless food, wine and company.

Visited February 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Little Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Located down a small street off a canal, very delicious Dutch food in an old warehouse. Service was very good and inviting. The waitress introduced my husband to Genevier - the original 'gin' before the English diluted it - served in a shot glass without tonic. Highly recommend visiting this resturant and make sure you have reservations

Visited February 2014
Volgograd, Volgograd, Russia
“One of the best restaurant I have been to”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We wanted to try some traditional Dutch food but there was none in the normal tourist route, so we did some research and found out about this restaurant. It was a little hard to find as it is out from the usual route and after taking the tram, requires a little walking to get to. The restaurant doesn't have a big sign which makes it a little hard to find. But once there, the food was simply excellent, service was warm and friendly too. Very impressed with the taste,- and quality of the food. In my opinion it is the best traditional Dutch restaurant in Amsterdam, and the prices are reasonable. I would def love to return again if given the chance.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
London
“A special night out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I spotted this restaurant while walking past 2 years ago but didn't have time to visit before returning to London. This time I booked it in advance and had an absolute treat of a night.
The staff are attentive but friendly, not stuffy. The room is pleasant, loos good. But what of the food? It was a delight. Really exciting presentation and intense flavours.
My chicken starter looked like orange macaroons and tasted of beautifully herbed soft meat covered with a thin layer of carrot jelly. My beef stew was fruity and deep and the accompanying kale and potato mash burst with "green" flavours. Pudding was a delicate bavarois. In addition we'd had an amuse bouche from the chef of stunning beef tartare.
With a champagne cocktail each and good bottle of wine, plus coffee (served with sweets) the 3-course meal for 2 cost less than £70 each - very good value especially compared to the cost of a similar quality experience in London. A firm favourite for all my future stays in Amsterdam.

Visited January 2014