“Shabby Chic Decor, High End Cooking” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Greetje

Greetje
Peperstraat 23, 1011 TJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)
+31 20 7797450
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #173 of 2,445 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Dutch
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Binnenstad
Description: A great restaurant in Amsterdam for experiencing delicious Dutch food in a friendly and cosy atmosphere.Quote from the New York Times T-Magazine December 21st, 2010:"I finally found a real taste of Holland. And it was so good, I’ve been back several times since. Located in the leafy district surrounding the Montelbaanse Tower, one of the prettiest parts of the city, this cozy dining room with wood-plank floors, bare wooden tables and old-fashioned wallpaper, is run by René Loven, who named it after his mother, an apparently gifted home cook whose smiling face appears on the cover of the menu. The place is invariably packed with a jolly crowd of locals sating themselves on beautifully cooked versions of the comfort food they loved to eat as children".Quote from the Washington Post article May 11th, 2008: "Named for the owner's mother, this cozy restaurant may be the best example of contemporary Dutch cooking outside a home. Here's the place to try tiny, tender local shrimp; delicate slices of Dutch lamb dressed up with chive-flecked potato salad; lightly smoked eel with herbed mayonnaise; and the tasty North Sea fish known as tub gurnard."
Luxembourg
“Shabby Chic Decor, High End Cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

Fairly fancy food -- nice breads/spreads, an amuse bouche, very sophisticated take on what sounds like down home/comfort food. Portions reasonable (that is, not too big). Big city prices.

Wait staff was charming and attentive, but they never brought that glass of red that was supposed to go with my main course. Oh well. I didn't really miss it.

Didn't try any desserts because we were satisfied with our appetizers/main courses.

Several very large parties/tables there. Perhaps we got slightly overlooked.

Worth a try. I would go again.

• Turkish first
“We liked it so well, we went twice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

I started with a "Butterfly" aperitif . The mushroom soup was lovely, warming and earthy. I had the roast pork the first evening, and the roast duck the second evening. My husband had the wild boar starter the first evening.
It has a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

Visited October 2013
Paris
“Very good!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I went with a group to that restaurant and everything was beyond expectations!! The quality of the food, the quality of service and the place in general. Group menus are usually boring however this one was excellent!! Hard to describe but I would recommend it to anyone!
Additionally the story of the restaurant is beautiful! Family owned business and the restaurant is called after the mother of the restaurant. I would go back anytime!

Visited October 2013
“Sitting on a quirky mezzanine eating delightful food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We went there for dinner with 3 friends. We offered some of their champagne cocktails to start. I had the Grand Marnier with Champagne ("Butterfly"). It was beautiful, so subtle! For starters we ordered 2 mushroom soups and 2 foie gras. Both options were an enchantment. The mushroom soup had a great texture and was very flavourful. The foie gras was served between two sliced of toast with apple. It was rich and also an absolute delight! We then all ordered the Duck breast. It tasted like game, exquisite. With a puree and lentils, as well as a very interesting edelweiss sauce which worked! We didn't order desserts.
The merlot wine was great value.
The service was warm and professional.
I will return!
It cost us about 60 euros each with tips

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Best Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We found this restaurant by looking at reviews, it was very wet rainny day and we were feed up so wanted a great end to the day. What a fantastic ending we got. The service is fantastic warm and freindly not in the least stuffy. The menu was varied and with good explinations. I had the dutch special which was a toasted sugarbread with pate sandwich strange sounding but fabulous. I then had turbout which was out of this world. It was all so good that we have booked for our last night in Amsterdam as a treat.

• Visited October 2013