“Better than I expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Gaucho's - CLOSED

Gaucho's
Damstraat 5, 1012 JL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District (De Wallen))
+31 20 623-9632
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Argentinean, South American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Red Light District (De Wallen)
Los Angeles
“Better than I expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Walking around, family hungry, wanted meat, wandered in, and seated promptly. By the time we left, the line was out the door. Nothing fancy, non-descript modern decor, but the food was very good (not great), and just what we were looking for. Had the family-size platter with the 4 different cuts of steak, which was great as the 4 of us each prefered a different cut. The desserts were also very good, and the price was reasonable. Would definitely go back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Johannesburg, South Africa
“Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

The ribs are great and as much as you can eat, but the real attraction is the chocolate x3 consisting of choc mousse, choc cake and choc icecream.

Visited August 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1,228 restaurant reviews
“Awful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

No where near a good as its fello restaurant group members! Staff were unprofessional and lacked social skills.

The meat was fatty and sent back 3 times as not medium- ranged from blue to blackened well done without medium! Side orders were not replaced so were stone cold! Paid the bill in full as they suddenly forgot how to speak English when we started questioning AVOID

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Trondheim, Norway
“Surprisingly good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I must specify that I ate at the one in Reguliersbreestraat 18. I loved everything about this restaurant!
The staff was great, incredibly friendly and effective. They were very polite and good at making conversation too.
The food was great! I had schrimps with garlic to start with and then a steak and it was medium-rare just as I asked. It was great, I enjoyed myself a lot. I had "dulce de leche" for dessert and I loved it!!! I saw plenty of "Argentinian" restaurants in Amsterdam with Spanish menus. Gaucho's does obviously serve proper Argentinian dishes and one of the waiters is Argentinian too.
The price wasn't too bad. I just had only hoped I found this place before!!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Markham, Canada
“Great steak”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

While on a business trip to Amsterdam a group of us decided to give Gauchos a try. The main attraction for the men in our group was the one kilo steak options. That's not a typo. At Gauchos you select not only the cut of steak but also the size, which ranged from 250 grams up to a kilo. For our American readers that's a range from about 8 oz to 2.2 lbs.

Our group ordered different cuts from the rump steak to the filet and noboby was disappointed with their steak. We also ordered sever sides to share: french fries, spinach, mushrooms, and asparagus. They were all very good. Gauchos also offers four different steak sauces. The guys ordered the pepper sauce and raved about it. I prefer my steak au natural.

We had a couple of bottles of Rioja wine and a few pints with our meal. With tax and tip the bill came to about $75 per person which was great value.

• Visited February 2013