“Great food, great service, great value.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kartika

Kartika
Overtoom 68, 1054 HL Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Vondelpark)
+31 20 618 1879
Cuisines: Indonesian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Neighborhood: Vondelpark
Camberley
“Great food, great service, great value.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I had stumbled across Kartika the previous week and taken one of their "takeaway" menus. Having been working in Amsterdam for about a year, and wanting to have a good experience for my last evening meal, I was a little wary of trying a new restaurant, but the hotel barman gave it a thumbs up.

I was welcomed into the restaurant and, although the menu says that the ricetable is only available for 2 or more dining, they readily agreed to let me order it.

Absolutely fabulous variety and quality of dishes, with some wonderful aromas and tastes. I was also offered a spicy sambal, which I declined as I don't like my food too spicy.

Service was attentive, informative and friendly, without being intrusive and overpowering.

When I went in the place was about half full, and despite tables being vacated as diners finished, it was almost full when I left, but I never felt under pressure to leave.

Overall price including a beer and service was more than I would want to spend every day, but I would certainly go back again and again as - for the overall experience - this was great value for money.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Wasaga Beach, Canada
“One of the best dining experiences in a long time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a hotel in the neighborhood and the front desk attendant recommended this place as one of the options when we asked her for good dining experiences in the area. I am glad we took the advice. The food was excellent, the servers were extremely friendly. As we had learned before, trying Indonesian Rijstafel is a culinary must when coming to Amsterdam. We ordered Ramayana which was served as 11 different dishes. The server explained each of the dishes to us. It was a wonderful evening with an explosion of flavours from mild to spicy. We had a carafe of the house Merlot which was a good choice with the food and the bill was very moderate. We would come back in a heartbeat!

Visited December 2013
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“Delicious Indonesian food in a friendly atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Very nice food, friendly service and good ambience. It is quite a small place and is popular so either arrive early or book. I am not an expert in Indonesian food, but it was all delicious and the main courses were in big portions so you definitely get well-fed and decent value for money. It was quite different cuisine from Indian/UK style curries, for example: this cooking had a lot more fruit and less heavy cream so felt quite fresh and healthy.
The staff all spoke excellent English and were helpful in explaining the menu. I took my young daughter and although it's not a big restaurant the staff were friendly and helpful in fitting in a child seat. The area is nice, near the Vondelpark and not so far from the Rijkmuseum.
I would definitely go back next time I visit Amsterdam.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kent, Texas
“An Average Asian Dinner”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

A rijstafel/Indonesian meal was one aspect of our visit to Amsterdam that we were looking forward to. We selected Kartika based on its location and TA reviews. While the service was very friendly, and the small restaurant was pleasant, we thought the meal itself was slightly disappointing. Nothing was bad, it was just average in comparison to an earlier Indonesian meal we enjoyed and other SE Asian restaurants we have visited. Specifically, there was not a vibrancy to the flavors and our three ala carte selections tasted remarkably similar to each other. Like another reviewer noted, we were hoping for much fresher flavors. Prices are reasonable in comparison to restaurants closer to the touristy areas. Overall, we had a pleasant evening, but cannot provide the glowing recommendation that others have given this restaurant.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and service..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Great food at a very reasonable price. Efficiently served by very polite people who explain the dishes in detail to newcomers. What more can one ask for?