“Excellent value for money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant Szmulewicz

Restaurant Szmulewicz
Bakkersstraat 12, Amsterdam 1017 CW, The Netherlands (Rembrandtplein)
+31 (0)20 6202822
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #186 of 2,231 restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Rembrandtplein
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Excellent value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Interesting menu, lovely food, good service, really, what more can you want and the prices are very reasonable. I certainly felt we were getting good value for money and would definately go back. The one and only little problem was the heating. We had a table right next to the window, so the view was an added bonus, however, the heating is right under the window sill, very close to the table, very very hot and no knob to turn the heat lower.at the end of the evening I was getting rather close to the colleague sitting next to me. Luckily we know each other for a long time, so he wasn't getting any funny ideas about me... But this is really the only critical thing I could say about the place. I had the fish of the day from the blackboard, which was grilled to perfection and though I'm not really a dessert person, I loved the cheese cake. I was apprehensive about the area, as there are a lot of tourist traps, but this is certainly not one of them.

Visited January 2014

92% Recommend
Reading, United Kingdom
“Something a little different ....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We visited Szmulewicz after a recommendation from our hotel and we were not disappointed. Szmulewicz is a busy, cosy restaurant off Rembrandtplein Square which serves a varied menu of tasty international food. I ordered the malaysian chicken soup followed by the bali barramundi fish and the flavours were just amazing. I still had room for pudding and enjoyed frozen yoghurt ice cream with nuts which was a great way to finish off a perfect meal. Whilst the restaurant was busy, the service was good and the waitress staff all very helpful and knowledgeable of the food. Thank you for an enjoyable evening.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Be careful when ordering”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant is ideally located in the centre of the city. Also charming building and cozy interior. Waitresses are helpful as much as you can expect from the Dutch. Lamb dish was delicious, so were cannelloni.

A word of warning: even though food is good, check what you order with the waitresses. We ordered curry, which was so spicy, that we could not eat it at all. Extra rice almost did not help. And we are used to spicy food, and national cuisines being adjusted to Dutch taste.
Cheesecake everybody recommends here was so so, dry.
Prices are reasonable.

Visited December 2013
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
“A lucky find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My wife and I were in Rembrandtplein looking for somewhere to eat when I spotted this restaurant just off the square. It looked so much more interesting and characterful than those on the square itself. And this proved to be the case. The restaurant was almost full and we were lucky to get on the two remaining tables. The menu is an interesting mix of international dishes - my wife and I both had the Arab lamb stew which was delicious. The dessert menu was equally interesting. The staff were friendly and helpful despite being rushed off their feet.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Recommended by hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Had the portugese chicken dish and it was amazing. For dessert had creme Catalana which had orange in it that was even better! Very busy restaurant had to sit at the bar but got a table in time for our food. Probably the best meal we have had all holiday

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere