“Good after bad first impressions” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurant De Roode Leeuw

Restaurant De Roode Leeuw
Damrak 93-94, 1012 Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Dam Square)
+31 (0)20 555 0 666
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #625 of 2,463 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Cuisines: Dutch
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dam Square
“Good after bad first impressions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I arrived in holland for a holiday from australia a few days before my parents did (who had not been back to holland since the 1970's after they had immigrated in 1958) and wanted to have a meal at a traditional Dutch restaurant.
I walked passed this restaurant many times while I was exploring Amsterdam and from the outside it looked like a very nice place to visit, so I decided to take them there.
Little did I know that my father knew about this restaurant when he lived in holland in the 1950's and remembered it although he never went there (this restaurant gas been around for 100 years!!).
So we went in for lunch with no reservation.
I have to agree with the other reviewers annoyance about the wait to be seated - we stood at the doorway for a good five minutes while waiters walked past us and din not acknowledge us at all. Were we supposed to find our own table? Were we supposed to make a booking? My father finally decided to tap a waiter in the shoulder and asked if we could have a table, when he said 'you might as well take that one then' as he pointed to one.
The restaurant was not completely full, but even with the waiters being busy, they could have just told us 'we'll be with you in a moment' which they did not do at all. Once we had the table it took a while before we got our menu's.
After this questionable first impression, things improved. We ordered traditional Dutch fare of pea soup, meatballs and asparagus, along with fried eggs and ham on bread (a Dutch specialty).
The food was hearty and delicious, and was just like a home cooked meal my parents were used to when they lived in holland all those years ago. It was great for them! The atmosphere was nice too - wood and bergandy and the opulence of an old fashioned good quality restaurant. The staff were friendly once they got to us and after a scrumptious meal we left quite happy. So much so we'll come back for dinner one night. But perhaps we should book this time?

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Petworth
“Terrible! Why is this place recommended?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

Food underwhelming at best and pastry poor, but what really shocked me was the terrible service. We waited 5 minutes at the door to be seated in an almost empty restaurant - waiters just walked right past us. Then we got a table and things did not improve. The service was inattentive and slap-dash. The cutlery was smeared. The waiter had to be reminded to bring half of my starter. At the end of the meal the sugarbowl was brought on a dirty dish covered in spilt sugar: this may not matter in itself, but what does it say about the staff's and the manager's attitude to their work? Not cheap either. Don't go here.

Sydney
“good food but very poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

Food is OK and price is reasonable. We went there at 6pm telling the waiter we are heading for a concert at 8:15pm and we have to leave by 7:45 the latest. The one leading us to the table did not take orders and it took more than 15 min for the orders to be taken. The first 2 courses were served with the usual pace but there was no one around when we wanted something extra. It took over half an hour after we finished the main course before the dessert came. We have to remind them twice. We nearly have to give up the dessert for the concert. Anticipating we may have to leave early, we have to settle the bill before dessert was served.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Authentic Dutch Cuisine in an upscale but casual atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Our guide told us that this restaurant had the best dutch cuisine in the city so we had to check it out. My husband ordered the herring appetizer with beet salad served with two small glasses of iced Genever (dutch gin). I could not eat the herring, but the gin was so strong it made me momentarily dizzy! The food was excellent & the service was great! The desserts were awesome as well, don't order the cakes from the spinny glass case get the homemade ones. We had bread pudding and an apple tart. Well worth the stop if your in town and easy to find near the Damm.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mesa, Arizona
“Great stop for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stopped here from shopping, It had street views and we decided to try it. We were given a window seat which was perfect to watch people. Both of us had crusty sandwiches and Dutch sparkling wine. My wife and I must have been having too much fun and lost track of time and drinks! Reasonably priced and good location. We noticed mostly locals were here, which we always take to be a good sign.

Visited April 2013