“Simply a great cafe.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Latei

Latei
Zeedijk 143, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (Red Light District)
Improve this listing
Ranked #475 of 2,444 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Neighborhood: Red Light District
Dublin, Ireland
“Simply a great cafe.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This is a great cafe. Nothing more needs to be said, but I will of course elaborate. It doesn't go over the top to impress, nor does it lack anything that I would look for.
I arrived with 3 friends after reading good reviews about it. It was a little tricky to find, but that may have been down to my own inability to spot things.
We went in and were greeted and seated in a friendly manner. They had a nice selection of teas, and I helped myself to some lovely chocolate cake too! It wasn't cheap but reasonable, especially for a cafe right in the tourist centre of Amsterdam. One slight flaw is that the cafe was quite loud and certainly busy, but what else would you expect due to it's location?
I love to visit places like this at home and abroad, and I'll certainly be recommending it to anyone who likes a good cup of tea in a friendly, warm atmosphere.
Like so many places in Amsterdam there was a resident cat prowling the floor too, without a care about the many people around him/her. I wonder if it's still there...

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Sorrento, Italy
“I love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I am so sorry we went there the last morning we were in Amsterdam! We knew about this place thanks to a suggestion given by the hotel Nova where we stayed. We went there at around 2pm and it was quite busy, we sat upstairs and have a good view onto the whole place. It'a amazing! Everything from the lamp to the chair you are sitting on can be bought and the waitering staff, omg I am in love with their outfits and their make up and their kindness! Mint tea is great, unforgettable chocolate cake - really to die for! and also the smoothies are fantastic!
I will always come back there when in Amsterdam!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Darlington, United Kingdom
“Tiny cafe, bursting with character”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

We called in for a coffee and apple pie. The pie was excellent and received a good portion.
The cafe is tiny with 5 or 6 tables downstairs and a few more upstairs. Every surface is covered with nick nacks, kitch and souvenirs - everything can be bought.

Highly recommended but you may have to wait for a table.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Melbourne, Australia
“Cute hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Stumbled across this place and was desperate for a coffee, the coffee and croissant I had was delicious. The decor is unique and staff friendly. A great place to rest and warm up.

Singapore, Singapore
“Lovely hidden corner for morning breakfast or coffee”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Cosy and warm location near Nieuwmarkt. Soup is always changing but I had one of the best French onion soups. Save some room for the chocolate gateau or the delicate pastries. Oh and those cute artsy stuff on display are all for sale.

Visited November 2012