“No frills, centrally located hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Familie hotel Alkmaar
Payglop 17-19, 1811 HM Alkmaar, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Alkmaar
Amsterdam
“No frills, centrally located hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We picked this hotel mostly because of its favorable location, right smacked in the center of town (via booking.com).
We had a twin room with shared bathroom in the section called De Molen van Piet, which hosts 3 doubles and one triple room.
Our room was right next to the kitchen and the toilet: when we were there, only one other room had guests, but I assume it could become quite noisy when all rooms are occupied. Also, the window of the room open on the small terrace where is possible to have breakfast but this can result in a fair amount of additional noise if the other guests are early risers.
The room was long and narrow: the first section, right in front of the door, was occupied by the beds, while the second had a sitting area with a small couch and a coffee table. Due to the lack of space the twin beds were pushed together which i found defies a bit the concept of having a twin room.
The beds were box-spring style but the mattresses were soft and one could feel the springs while the pillows were a bit lumpy.
As for the shared facilities, the shower was located upstairs and the staircase to get up there is a bit steep: personally I did not have any problem with this, but some people could find it troublesome. The shower room had two sinks and one large shower cabin. The room was clean and big bottles of soap were available for guests. The toilet, also clean, did not enjoy the best location being placed in between the kitchen and the breakfast terrace, which did not guarantee much privacy. We did not have breakfast at the hotel, which is available at an additional surcharge, so I can’t comment on it.
Overall I had an ok experience at this hotel (one night) due to its central location and proximity to cafes and restaurants, but I was not impressed beyond words.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The owner picked us up, it can be hard to find but the location of perfect for exploring the city. Ideal location after some heavy pubcrawling at the nearby Waagplein.. There are different types of rooms in different buildings; do your research in advance if you are afraid of climbing stairs or have objections against shared facilities...!
We have a very nice time, the location and value for money are excellent.

Room Tip: do your research, there is a great variety in roomtypes, location, shared facilities etc.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

We booked on booking.com a day before, and missed the driving instructions of the owner sent to us on e-mail. It is defenetly advisable to get them... The family appartement was on the 2nd floor with a iron starecase on the side of the building, my daughter 5 yrs was a bit affraid but we managed. Otherwise the room was comfortable with lots on space and the owner was friendly and helpful.

Stayed April 2013
Melton, Victoria, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Booked for 7 nights but due to the ernomous amount of stairs, my elderley mother found it extremely difficult.We vacated the premises after one night and had to pay the full amount. The owner was quite rude and very unsympathetic to my mother's situation. After a month of emailing Booking.com we finally received a percentage of the money from the hotel. Found it very strange that there was no "reception" to register. The hotel informed us that they were a 5 star hotel but after making enquiries found this not to be the case.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel 4 times during July and August. The first time I stayed in the main part of the hotel it was really large and very spacious the kitchen area was huge and the shower and toilet was very near the rooms all on the one level The next 3 times it was in the smaller area which had a shared kitchen and bathroom on one floor and the shower on the next floor. Having the use of the kitchen facilities was really convienient and I enjoyed sitting outside having coffee or a snack The atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly and not like a hotel at all The last time I stayed my 20 year old son was with me he loved the place we were on the top floor this time and had our own balcony which was great.The hotel is smack in the middle of town a great location Bob and Tiny are fantastic hosts I was there visiting a serously ill realative who sadly passed away whilst I was staying there The care and attention shown to me from both of them was wonderful Tiny even did my sons washing for him as he was going travelling when we left surely above and beyond what you would expect from hotel proprieters. The shared bathroom/shower put me off at first but don't let this stop you from visitng this wonderful establishment. I will never forget my time staying here and I will never forget Bob & Tiny such a lovely couple and a great place to stay!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
falkirk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel twice in two weeks. The rooms are spacious and clean. It's very handy to be able to use all the kitchen facilities, ( saves some money too) the hotel has a nice friendly feel to it. it's like a home from home. The couple who run it couldn't be nicer or do enough for you.
The location is fantasic out the door and you're right in the middle of town. The only down side I would say are the shared toilet and shower. Although this wouldn't put me off booking again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

I felt very at home here. The service is fantastic - rooms are clean & modern - the location is perfect. The owners are great people and really care about the guests.

Enjoy!! I look forward to staying again next time I am in town.

Room Tip: If you struggle with stairs, see if there is a room where you do not need to climb. It did not both...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Familie hotel Alkmaar? Share your experiences!