“Authentic Dutch pancakes” 4 of 5 stars

Description: Tel. 020 4031525. Open 12.00 - 2400
Seattle, Washington
“Authentic Dutch pancakes”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Our family was keen to eat authentic Dutch pancakes, but all the places in Amsterdam seemed designed for tourists. We were planning a visit to Waterland anyway, so it was great to be able to combine it with our pancake quest! This place is lovely. You can eat outside in the garden or inside the charming old Dutch house. The selection of pancakes is vast, and they are all delicious and filling, both the savory and sweet. Broek seems to be much the nicest of all the Waterland villages - a totally cute little town which enchanted even two cynical teenage girls! Everyone was happy - about the place and the delicious pancakes!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Edmonton, Canada
“One of the best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

In a trip with incredible food, mostly traditional, this meal,a lunch, stands out. Never had a pannenkoeken before....and now I crave another. I HATE pancakes so was a bit concerned...these ain't pancakes like we in North America think of them...oh no. Sweet, savoury or both....we loved them all. The apple pie was a star too...one of the best I have ever had. The town is very very very picturesque. Go there.

• Visited May 2014
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Lovely restaurant in a beautiful village”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We had a delicious and inexpensive meal in De Witte Swaen. After soaking up the late afternoon sun and drinking beer on the front patio, we moved inside to eat. We ordered from the English menu ewe were given, which featured pannekoeken, or creeps. The was a huge selection and Our meal was delicious and filling. The only issue is that the Dutch menu seemed to be different -- much longer with more varied choices. We saw other tables enjoying more elaborate meals, while those who needed a menu in English only got to choose pannekoeken. We loved the food, but it would have beef nice to have a choice. It want only us, the people who came in after and were seated next to us were only given the limited menu. The service was very pleasant. Broek in Waterland is a magical place, and De Witte Swaen was a great place to end our visit there.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bochum
“Pancakes at its best!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

"De Witte Swaen" in Broek in Waterland, about 20 Km north of Amsterdam, is of of the oldest Restaurants in the Netherlands. You can recognize that from the original Building the Restaurant is in. Anyway, the personnel is young, attentive and friendly and their pancakes are just wonderful.

They offer a huge variety from sweet to hearty and whatever we have tried over the last couple of years (going there every year at least twice during our summer holidays), we have not yet had any "mishit". The restaurant has also other dishes than pancakes on offer, but we have never tried these, so my evaluation is purely concerning their pancakes.

My ultimate recommendation is the pancake "De groene Weide" (the green meadow) which comes with pan-fried leek, bacon and loads of great dutch cheese. This is healthy and tasty at the same time.

We also like the atmosphere of the location. I only limit my score to 4 out of five as this is not "haute cuisine", but very well made plain fare. What they do, they do perfect.

Be aware - during summer (holiday period) this place ist mostly very sought after, temporarily crowded. I strongly recommend to make a reservation, even weekdays. And you may want to consider an early diner (recommend 6:30 p.m.) to avoid the "rush hour" in the restaurant. This keeps waiting time amazingly short (from order to meals served it may take less than 10 minutes) while in crowded periods waiting time can be up to +30 minutes.

We found this place by a recommendation of a holiday host already more than 10 years ago and we still get back there every year, also we have changed our holiday residence and from where we stay now it always takes 45 minutes of driving - but the entire family - yes, it is a great place for kids as well - enjoys it very much.

When you get there you must take a stroll around the nice pond in the center of Broek i.W. which is less than a minute away from the restaurant, and have a look at the beautifully restored houses, most of which a several hundred years old. I once asked a real estate broker for the price of one of the houses, that was for sale and on that occasion I found out, that Broek i.W. is basically the Beverly Hills of the Netherlands, where all the rich and the beautiful live: it was the big house at the one end of the a.m. pond, which nowadays is a luxury B&B and its price was EUR 2,5 million (that was back in 2003 I think)!

• Visited August 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Delicious however, why not more hot water to warm tea without charging.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

The tour company that I hired suggested this restaurant so that my group could experience Dutch crepes. Never saw crepes this large and they were truly delicious. What I was upset about was that several of us ordered tea. It was brought to us long before the order came. Naturally, the water turned cool. I asked the server if we could have more hot water. She said that we would have to pay for another tea (almost 3 euros). Finally, after I complained to my guide that we were only asking for water, she finally brought a small pot of hot water. Then I asked her if we could have some cold tap water of which she said no. Well, again I complained to my guide and we got a small pitcher of water for 8 people. The bill came to almost 100 Euros and yes, I tipped the waitress. I will possibly bring another group back. However, I hope I don't have the problems I had this time. I realize that we are Americans and that dining in restaurants is a little different for us but I would think that this restaurant would want our business. She said that they didn't want people to come in for tea and just stay without ordering. We did order and our bill came to 100 Euros which I paid for my group. Note: we were all seniors.

Sorry but I had to express my feelings about the water situation.

This is a great experience and if you can visit this historic restaurant, please do. The town is so quaint.

Enjoy your crepe! My group loved theirs with bacon and apple. I had the dessert crepe with apple. I guarantee that you will never see crepes this large anywhere else...at these I don't think so.

• Visited August 2013