“A trip of a lifetime for me..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Droogmakerij de Beemster (Beemster Polder)

Droogmakerij de Beemster (Beemster Polder)
The Netherlands
Improve this listing
Whitby, Canada
“A trip of a lifetime for me..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

I recently visited Holland, and specifically 'The Beemster' area as it's where both my parents grew up. I was born and raised in Canada, and had never met most of my cousins. Besides being very well preserved, it has so much much more meaning to me. I took the time to take a bike ride one day around the circumference of all to dikes keeping the Beemster from bieing flooded, a total of approx 50 kms. Lots of gorgeous little towns to stop and visit along the way as well as my mother house, which I was lucky enough to get a tour of since the owner heard my story, and gave me a tour! An old farmhouse built in 1725, made partly from remnants of an old windmill that was decommissioned. I would highly recommend it to anyone coming to the area..