“Two separate areas: bar snacks and restaurant upstairs” 3 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
De Vooruitgang
Markt 11, 5611 EB Eindhoven, The Netherlands (Binnenstad)
040-2433995
Improve this listing
Ranked #198 of 250 Restaurants in Eindhoven
Cuisines: Belgian, Dutch, International
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Binnenstad
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Two separate areas: bar snacks and restaurant upstairs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

Menu looked quite nice in the restaurant, but the service was pretty slow, and when the food came it was good but not fantastic. More studenty than haut cuisine.

Visited December 2011

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
“Good place to have a drink”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

De Vooruitgang is situated on Eindhoven market square, right in the middle of the city centre. You can have a good drink inside or on the terrace outside.

Visited December 2011
Scherpenheuvel, België
“Food not worth the price you pay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

We went there on a Friday night during our weekend in Eindhoven. Since the place next door couldn't seat another 6 people, we went to De Vooruitgang. Upon entering, the bar seemed cool and had a trendy atmosphere to it. Concerning design, one of the most beautiful bars in Eindhoven to have a drink. A drink, that is.

We went there with the intention to have a meal, but the dining area upstairs was completely occupied so we were told to wait 15 minutes. After 20 minutes without us being notified, we went upstairs ourselves to find that there had been an empty table for quite a while. We sat down and took a look at the menu.

The first thing we noticed were the overdone prices. There were only about eight dishes to choose from if you're not in for the fish, so there isn't really much choice. After strong consiliation, I decided to take the mixed grill dish which cost € 20,5 and my girlfriend tried the gambas with a spicy tomato sauce and pasta. My one brother-in-law took the seawolf in a curry sauce, the other ordered the steak and his girlfriend the ribs.

We were constantly asked if we needed other drinks, like every 5 minutes or so, so it became rather annoying than pleasant. After a considerably short waiting time we all got our dishes.

The first thing that we noticed were the very small portions of each dish. My grill-mix was the most expensive meat dish on the menu, but the meat I got served on my plate wasn't enough to satisfy a baby.

My girlfriend, who ordered most expensive fish dish, the gambas (which are more or less large shrimp) didn't like her food at all. The shrimp were overcooked, had no taste whatsoever and had a rubber texture.

The seawolf in currysauce was way too spicy, to a level which it became unbareable to have a bite without having your drink in your other hand.

The steak was so small it seemed like the chef was playing a joke on my brother-in-law

The ribs was the only more or less decent price-quality thing on the menu.

When we were being served our food, they placed a really small bowl of fries on the table next to my brother-in-law. Assuming that was his portion, we waited for ours until the waiter informed us we had to share the fries. The only good thing was that you could ask extra fries at any time, which we had to do for 4 times in order to actually have the feeling that there was something in our stomachs.

The staff wasn't really talented or professional, since there were plates and glasses being dropped several times during our meal.

Together, me and my girlfriend paid 50 euro for what "De Vooruitgang" calls a meal and 2 drinks each. If we were to have the same dinner in Belgium, it would cost us 25 euro or less.

All of us left this establisment saying it wasn't by far worth the money we paid for it.

Would I recommend this restaurant? No.
Would I ever return there to have a meal again? No.
Did I feel ripped off by this bad culinary experience in Eindhoven? Yes!

• Visited November 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
New York City, New York
“Worst burger ever in my life, including the one I forgot for 3h on my grill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Took forever to get our order. Then ketchup, 2nd round of drinks, etc. were served after we had finished our meal. Avoid.

Visited October 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Great location in the market square. Nice nightlife.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

Great location in the market square. Nice nightlife.