“Decent hotel in a great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Zenden

Save Saved
You added Hotel Zenden to your Saves list
Hotel Zenden
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. Bernardusstraat 5, Maastricht 6211 HK, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #17 of 37 hotels in Maastricht
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Decent hotel in a great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The hotel is located in a fantastic area of the city. Very centrally located, next to the shops, restaurants and bars.

The Front Desk staff was very friendly and helpful and provided us with the information we needed.

Some things I found strange are that there is no cleaning of the bedrooms. We were informed that once every 3 days Housekeeping cleans the rooms. For the price we paid (118e per night excl breakfast), I expected more service there. The same applies to the opening hours of the front desk, during the weekend they are open until 3pm only.

The room itself was spacious and bright, but very minimal. No storage space for clothes and luggage, only 3 small drawers in the bathroom and no cupboard.
The TV behind the mirror is very fashionable, but not practical. You can't operate the TV with the remote control, as the mirror blocks the signal.

The hotel is situated in a lovely small street, but my guess is that the building itself is fairly old. This meant that it was very noisy with squeaking stairs and lots of noise from the neighboring rooms.

I might stay again mainly for the great location and friendly staff. In terms of atmosphere and service, I would probably look for another hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ilse K,

Thanks for your visit and valuable feedback. We especially enjoyed reading the things that delighted you during your stay.
With regards to our cleaning, the rule that you mention applies to our appartement/studios. These are cleaned 3 times a week. The hotel has daily cleaning.
We were sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy the minimal atmosphere that exists within our hotel. While we certainly wish you had enjoyed some of the unique features of our hotel, we understand when someone’s preferences are not our own.

We still hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

Martijn and the staff of Hotel Zenden

44 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

Super hotel, Really well priced. Great location. Very simple, white design interior and if that's your thing then you will love this hotel. Excellent beds. Good but fairly simple breakfast. Super for a few days Maastricht (the overdose of white would get to me after a while).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear StephenGeven,

We wanted to say thank you for your visit and kind words. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back and we look forward to it.

Team Hotel Zenden
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I stayed with my partner at the hotel in early November 2012 in one of the suites in the separate building. The location of the hotel is great and allows for easy exploring of the Maastricht area. The staff was also very helpful - we had issues with our TV which where resolved that very evening.
The room came with everything we required, including a Nespresso machine which was a nice touch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Null815,

Your feedback was a delightful read and we thank you for it.
I am glad we could have helped you to resolve the issues with the TV quickly.

Thank you and come back soon!

Team Hotel Zenden
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We had a very friendly welcome at the Hotel Zenden where we only stayed for one night. We wish it could have been longer. Our room, Nana, was fantastic-on two levels. Everything worked fine and even though it was hot outside the cross ventilation kept us cool. We enjoyed a swim in the pool-magical! The breakfast buffet looked good though we didn't eat there. The hotel has an excellent central location. Our stay finished with a very warm good-bye. We will be back!
One warning: anyone with mobility problems should be aware that as nice as the hotel is there are a lot of very steep stairs with no elevator.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Martijn Z, Manager at Hotel Zenden, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear JaniceAnne95,

Thank you for the review. We’re thrilled our hotel exceeds your expectations! – we’ll pass along your compliments to our team. We are aware that for not so mobile guests the stairs might be too much of an effort, but there's always the possibility for a ground floor studio. Just contact us and you do not have to walk any stairs. We hope you stay with us again!

@HotelZenden
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

The room was nice (we stayed in Suite #2 in a seperate building), it was quite "design" which the girlfriend liked and the toiletries etc were l'occitane so that was nice as well. The Wifi didn't work and the reception was closed, so a bit of a pain, but all in all a nice room and hotel. The biggest issue was on checkout. I asked if I coudl leave my bike (had just finished a 500 km cycle race the day before) for 3 hours after checking out, it was 11 AM and the place was empty, I asked if I coudl leave it behind a tree in the courtyard or anywhere else out of the way and they refused with the receptionist saying her boss woudl be angry. Maybe this is their policy, but it left a bad taste with me and I ended up wheeling my racebike around maastricht for 3 hours. It was unnecessary and I was very flexible in just asking to leave it in any convenient place. Like I said, the hotel was nice and the room good value for the money, but this one piece of complete inflexibility was enough to ensure I dont' stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Martijn Z, Manager at Hotel Zenden, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Kyle J,

Many thanks for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at our hotel.
We attach a lot of importance to your feedback as it is with this information that we are able to recognize and improve the critical points within our organization.

I am happy to note that you enjoyed your stay. However I would like to extend my apologies for the inconvenience upon checkin out. We are just a very small hotel with limited space. Therefor we do not have the possibility to stall bycicles.
No need to walk with your bike for three hours though; in the city centre there are three, covered, supervised bicycle parks. The one closest to the hotel is the Kesselskade. It´s about one minute walking distance.

I would like to thank you again for your time and do sincerely hope to welcome you back to our hotel.

With kind regards
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I stayed in a studio room in the Cornerstraat building for 3 nights in June 2013. The hotel is very centrally located; we arrived by train to the Maastricht Central station and the station is about a 10-minute drive from the hotel. Without heavy luggage, it is definitely walkable. The decor of the studio was very modern and minimalist. All the linens were very high quality and the bed was very comfortable (and I think there was some kind of memory foam mattress topper). I also appreciated the L'Occitane products. The price paid for the studio was also a very good value. It was great to have a kitchen in the studio and there is a supermarket (Albert Heijn) nearby, about a 10-minute walk from this building.

However, I did have a few issues with the room. Throughout my entire stay, there was only lukewarm water coming from the overhead shower (but there was hot water coming out of the sink faucet and the handheld shower). Due to the design of the shower stall, whenever the overhead shower is used, water seemed to go all over the floor. Also, there was nowhere in the shower stall to put any bottles (e.g. shampoo, shower gel, etc.), so I had to improvise with a bowl from the kitchen.

In the Cornerstraat building, there are only stairs up to the first and second floor, which are steep and curve around near the top of each set and there is no elevator in the building, so getting a heavy suitcase up (and down) the stairs can be a challenge. Also, housekeeping in the studios is only done every 3 days (not sure if this is available everyday in the regular rooms).

From my research in to Maastricht accommodation options, it looks like most hotels in the area (including Zenden) can be hit or miss, but overall I enjoyed my stay at Zenden and would recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: There are two separate buildings for the studio apartment units, which are about a 5-minute walk awa...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Martijn Z, Manager at Hotel Zenden, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Wanderluster2,

Thanks very much for your taking some of your time to share your feelings & thoughts on your recent stay. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Unfortunately we are not allowed to make elevators, because of the monumental status of buildings. But if you call us upfront we can always reserve the ground floor apartment for you so you need climb any stairs.

Our appartments are serviced twice a week. If you require more cleanings you can always ask our housekeeping or alternatively book a room in our hotel.

I hope to be able to welcome you back personally in Maastricht some day.

Kind regards,

Martijn Zenden
The Hague, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have stayed in April in this hotel for two days. The bad impression came very early, when it was restricted that if we arrived there after 3 o clock we were going to lose the reservation, which was something really likely to happen, since it was a national weekend off ( Easter Week). The following day we went back to our room and there was no shower gel. I had to search around but there was no one in the hotel to provide it to us. On top of all of this, we are paying in cash and after a month I realised that they charged our credit card without any permission not information with the amount of 100€. They made up a reason and amount. We will not going to visit this place again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Martijn Z, Manager at Hotel Zenden, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear AussieF_84

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We truly value the opinions of all our customers and we understand that you are dissapointed about the smoking fine.

On the site of your booking agency you have seen that we are a non smoking hotel.
When you've checked in we gave you our information brochure with our house rules and fine for smoking. Nontheless you choose to violate our hotel's non smoking policy.
We are really sorry about this, you left us no other option but to charge a fine.
Please be so courtious to the next guest to respect a hotel's non smoking policy.

We hope to see you again in the future and wish you the very best.

Been to Hotel Zenden? Share your experiences!