“Rooms are fine but service is appalling” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Au Quartier
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kapoenstraat 32, 6211 KW Maastricht, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #27 of 40 Hotels in Maastricht
London
“Rooms are fine but service is appalling”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Rather than a hotel this is more like a fine restaurant with rooms above. It looked and smelt like it was probably the best restaurant in Maastricht but unless you booked in advance, even as a single person, you will not get a table. Do not be fooled by the photo advertising this place that shows a lovely terrace with people sitting eating and drinking. You will not be allowed to sit there, it is only for pre-booked restaurant guests and the terrance is not on the street front it is an internal one. The staff only seemed interested in the restaurant guests. There is no one at reception when the restaurant is open. On arrival I had to stand in the door of the restaurant like a lemon until I managed to attract someone's attention. They then took my suitcase, shoved a piece of paper in my hand with directions to the parking, a few streets away. On my return, again there was no-one in reception but I found my suitcase in the main thoroughfare to the restaurant, not even in the reception area! Anyone could have picked it up and walked off with it. Again I had to enter the restaurant to find someone to tell me where my room was and give me a key. Before I could ask for the WIFI code or where the lift was, they had left so I had to enter the restaurant and try to attract another person's attention to ask these questions and whether I could have a meal. I was told they were fully booked. On asking if they could suggest anywhere else I could eat in the city, they said they doubted I would find anywhere as it was a Saturday night and then pointed left and straight ahead and said I might find something that way or that way.

Room Tip: Rooms on street side can be noisy as people leave the restaurant
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

We booked one of the apartments here, which is actually located in the nearby building. It does not look like a hotel, it is basically a normal one bedroom apartment with a kitchen and a living room. It was very clean and it does have all the facilities of a hotel, including free wifi and an electric fireplace. Parking is available, you get a key and drive to a street nearby where you find your spot behind a few buildings. I recommend that you stop at the hotel, get your luggage out, then drive to the parking lot.

So it is all there, but a bit different to what you expect from the usual hotel. The restaurant is also very nice, go there for dinner. We did like it a lot and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The hotel is perfectly situated, close to the centre but not exactly in the middle of it. Warm welcome, spacious room (double bed even though I booked a room for one) and nice breakfast. Maastricht is a lovely town!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
roussillon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

For the price, this hotel has a lot going for it - it's an historic building which oozes charm in a great central location. The rooms are v clean and modern, but amenities and staff remain a little old-fashioned (friendly and helpful though!). I'm sure this place isn't for everyone, but it's pretty cheap for a central, charming location with class. The restaurant looks lovely as well.
Parking is tricky as there are no carparks signed nearby, and absolutely nowhere to stop for a second in front of the hotel, so be ready for that.

Room Tip: If you find a space with a parking meter nearby, you can put money in the night before for the meter...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Hotel Au Quartier is a three-star hotel which provides good value. The room I had was spacious, the bathroom was very clean and the amenities were above average. It provides a good breakfast and a bonus is that it houses an excellent restaurant. The location is tremendous -- right in the center of town, walking distance from Onze Vrouwe Plein and the Vrijhof as well as the University of Maastricht. I was in Maastricht during a heat wave and I missed air-conditioning. But it is not reasonable to expect air-conditioning in a city that rarely experiences such heat waves. In normal circumstances, one would not need A/C.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Kirkby-in-Ashfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Travelled as a lone traveller attending a conference at the local University. Had a very pleasant 3 night stay over all.

Staff were friendly and welcoming. I messed up setting my safe password and it was rectified instantly.

My room was very clean. The beds were very comfortable indeed, crisp white sheets and lots of comfy pillows. There were blackout curtains on all the windows. The room also had an ample wardrobe, lots of nice lighting and a desk and chair. There was a very large television, telephone, hairdryer etc. All exactly as you would expect and in good working order. The bathroom was large, warm, spotlessly clean and had a huge deep bath and great shower with ample hot water. Although the hotel advertised free wifi I must admit that the quality of the signal I got was so low it was impossible to use Skype and I only managed to check emails once during the whole 3 day visit. This is disappointing if you are relying on having internet access for work purposes.

I had breakfast on all three mornings and it was a typical continental-style help yourself buffett with lots of choice of breads, fruits, juices, cereals, meats, cheeses, etc.

My main criticism of this hotel isn't a major one and is easily overcome - noise from outside at night. Although the street is incredibly quiet the windows keep out no noise whatsoever. I was woken numerous times during the night by people riding pushbikes, the odd car, people walking and then when the pigeons started in the early hours I actually thought they were inside the room with me.

My tip, bring your ear plugs because the location of this lovely little hotel is well worth it. A few minutes walk from all the shops, bars, cafes and sights of Maastricht.

If I ever have the pleasure of going to Maastricht again I would rebook without hestiation.

Room Tip: I would ask for a non-street side room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Cape town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

This 3* hotel in the old part of Maastricht was a hoot, but I would not recommend it to anyone who likes his/her hotel to be predictable and untroubled. Arriving in Maastricht at 1330 I found the hotel front door closed and no amount of knocking or ringing could rouse anyone. After finding another hotel and ringing, they opened the door, having been in a far off part of the restaurant. My room wasn't ready yet, although I was sent up there with the key to find it unwelcoming. 20 minutes later I was in. I had a room on the street and it was noisy despite being far enough away from the Vrijthof main square. Would definitely bring ear plugs. Breakfast was great, although expect to boil your own egg. The guest at the next table cracked his open not realising it was raw with predictable results. Finally, needing some shirts cleaned, I sent them for laundry. 48 hours and ready to leave, they were not back. The owner's brother was dispatched and ll turned out well in the end. I really liked this hotel despite its various oddities. The manager was always willing to make a plan and it was certainly never boring. But nervous travellers beware and probably go for something a tadge more boring.

Room Tip: Didn't get to check out rooms off the street, but bring ear plugs whatever happens
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business