“Weekend in Maastricht” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Maastricht
Dublin, Ireland
“Weekend in Maastricht”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Had an amazing trip to Maaastricht in Holland just before Christmas. Won the trip courtesy of FM104 and Ryanair.
This hotel was out of this world. Its very expensive to stay there but if i went back i wouldnt stay anywhere else. It was originally a monestary and church but revamped into this quirky hotel.

The Christmas market was on when we were there which was literally just MAGICAL. Iceskating rink in the middl eof the square, ferris wheel, mulled wine stands, market stands, funky food stands etc. Its such a cosy little city.

They love their different types of Ham and Cheeses, fresh breads and cakes. They pride themselves in them. They are fab in fairness.

If you want to go somewhere for a romantic weekend away, this is the place to go. You can literally sit down for a coffee or beer and watch the world go by for a few moments.

t would remind you of Bruge. Old buildings, pubs are all small and cosy, tavern like. People are extremely nice and everything is so cheap. Its also fantastic for shopping! Plus its only about 1 hour 30mins flight with Ryanair from Dublin.

Room Tip: Request any room bar the ground floor. Less noisey as the roads run along side ground floor windows
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BGerretsen, General Manager at Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Lolzb,

Thank you for your review about the Kruisherenhotel and Maastricht.

Nice to read that you enjoyed your stay in the Kruisherenhotel.

We hope to welcome you again in the future.

Berry Gerretsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
The Hague
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is quite an amazing hotel. The in-house TV plays a video of the conversion of the building from church to hotel and it is a remarkable story. The attention to detail and imagination applied provide a stunning environment. It is hard to describe, and you really need to see it for yourself. It is also in a an ideal location being an easy walk to the city centre, but if you arrive by train best take a taxi from the station.

Check-in was quick and efficient – in fact throughout our stay the reception team could not have been more helpful.

The bedrooms are located down the restored cloisters which are beautiful. Our prestige room was not huge but ok for a short stay. The website promised a seating area but there was only one easy chair plus a strange white plastic rocking chair which was not comfortable. Again a lot of thought has gone into the décor of the bedroom, but the combination of exposed metal bed legs, metal lighting and silver / grey blinds lent the room a clinical look, rather like a hospital room. Covering the bed legs and the use of coloured fabrics, like curtains, would make the room much warmer and softer. It was nevertheless a comfortable room. One downside is that there is no wireless internet in the bedrooms, which is inconceivable in a hotel as contemporary as this. A computer cable is supplied but smartphones and tablets cannot be used in the rooms for internet. Wireless is available in some of the public areas.

The restaurant was disappointing. The menu is limited to four starters and three mains, and having ordered we were then told that one starter and one main were not available, so reducing the choice even more. The food itself was very rich and too strong for our tastes. The sauerkraut which accompanied my fish was overpowered with something, maybe vinegar. The wine choices are at the top end so it is quite an expensive meal. Aperitifs, one starter, two mains, wine and coffee came in at over 150 Euros. But then we were eating in a magnificent setting and the service was outstanding.

Breakfast was a buffet set in a narrow corridor which was rather overcrowded. The choice was amazing but the hot food on offer was not fresh and the eggs were congealed (common in most hotel buffet breakfasts in my experience). Service was again excellent.

The bar is also beautiful, with a good selection of drinks at reasonable prices and once more, very good service.

This is definitely the place to stay in Maastricht but having made such a massive effort to establish this hotel, I hope the management don’t take their eye off the ball, and keep concentrating on the detail.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Desktopfan,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Kruisherenhotel in Maastricht.

It is nice to read your comments about our staff and building. All rooms are indivually designed and have a different atmosphere, and furniture. So next time when you visit us you will have a room which is completly different except for the metal bed legs.

When the Hotel was designed choices were made regarding furniture and style, this is personal. The idea behind is to turn it in to a Design Hotel but keep some of the historic cloister feeling in it aswell.

The choice on the menu is limited, however we change the menu every three months to make sure that their is always something new on the menu!

We hope to welcome you again in the future,

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

This is probably the most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in. Built inside a 15th century monastery the interior is just amazing. Take a look at the amazing photos on their website.

Of course, for such beauty you get a relatively high price too, but quite honestly it is worth it.

In terms of not being very practical, the rooms are pretty much open plan including the bathroom, which means during my winter stay it was a bit cold. I guess the monks enjoyed the conditions as they definately needed to pray before getting out of the shower!

I would like to come back here in the summer to show my family - they would really enjoy Maastricht and this hotel. It is very convenient for the centre of the city - and they have a wonderful Christmas fair.

Definately recommended, if you book in winter maybe ask if they have a room with a bathroom you can close the door.

final point - beautiful and unusual lamps in the place - keep a look out for them.

Room Tip: In winter, ask for a room with a bathroom door.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
BGerretsen, General Manager at Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear TRAXUK,

Thank you for reviewing your stay.

Maastricht is a great destination all year round, both in summer and winter. As you discovered known for shopping but also for the rural area's around the city.

Please let us know if you would like to have a more private bathroom then during your last stay. However their is no need to get cold feet in the bathroom because all bathrooms have floorheating!

We hope to welcome you back in the Kruisherenhotel Maastricht,

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed two nights at this wonderful hotel. It was about a 15Euro cab ride from the train station, but if you don't have a lot to carry it is walk able, maybe 20 min or so. The inside was gorgeous, this converted church. My room was a good size considering this was the first hotel that I have stayed at in a very long time that I didn't below to their loyalty program for an upgrade. Two people could have been very comfortable even by European standards. It was clean. My reservation included dinner at their restaurant one night. They made the reservation and were very accommodating. I am a vegetarian and I don't eat fish. They came up with a four course meal that was delicious. The wait staff was very nice as well as everyone that worked at the front desk. They seem to treat all of their guests with care.

This hotel is walking distance to everything, sites, shopping and even the Christmas market. I would definitely stay again. They even provided a tour book about Maastricht, but unfortunately it was in Dutch and a thank you gift of I think apricot jam.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
BGerretsen, General Manager at Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Ior13149,

Thank you for the positive review about your stay at the Kruisherenhotel.
We appricate fact that you took time to write about your stay in Maastricht and the lovely comments about our staff.

Although you live far away from Maastricht we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

We had a 2 day stay in this unique hotel. A perfect blend between historical and modern. We enjoyed the architecture, the friendly staff, the good food and comfortable room. The cost is relatively high, an upgrade to a suite recommendable. A perfect getaway in Maastricht, yet closeby city centre with its burgundian flair.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite, worth it!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
BGerretsen, General Manager at Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Sannovivere,

We appreciate the fact that you reviewed your stay in our Hotel.

Thank you for the nice comments about our team-members.

We hope to welcome you again,

Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

The lobby reception and bar area is fantastically beautiful and unique. (I could go on and on about this but only photo's can do justice.) The desk check-in staff was professional and extremely courteous and helpful. The bar wait staff also excellent (I had wine and soup that was delicious).
My room was up 2 flights of stairs but there are bellman to help with luggage. The wifi is free in the lobby, reception, bar and breakfast areas but there was no wifi in my room (internet only via ethernet in my room-which didn't work with my iPhone or my new Macbook Pro!!!!!). The bathroom was very large, like new and and very nice with a beautiful glass wall that was architecturally pleasing. The reading lamps were excellent and the bed and bedding super comfortable and luxurious.
My big problem:
I forgot to mention this when checking out so I'll do so here. I'm sure this can be fixed but I HATED the shower in my room. If you like a rain fall shower - you'll be fine but I don't care for them (takes too long to rinse my long, thick hair). The problem was the handheld showerhead was not working properly. When I turned it on, the showerhead water aimed for the ceiling. The usual adjustments to the attachment device did not work. One should be able to adjust and aim the handheld down (like a regular showerhead). My only solution was to hold the shower head in one hand while I wrestled with my shampoo, conditioner, soap, etc with the other hand. It took forever to shower and wash my hair (not the worst problem but unworthy of a hotel at this price point.) Lack of wifi in room and difficult shower experience left me feeling grumpy. Overall, though, I would highly recommend this hotel (just expect no wifi and check your showerhead before you settle in to your room.) Hotel was easy walk to town center and Maastricht is a charming city! Taxi from train station to hotel was 15,50€. Taxi from hotel to train station was 8,70€. (whatever....)

• Stayed December 2012
Dear lydjoseph,

Many thanks for your extensive review about your stay in the Kruisherenhotel.

On request we can bring an Airport in your room so you have Wifi in your room.

Furthermore you mentioned our rainshower, this depends on your personal preferences, some guest really like the rainshower, others do not. We will look into the comment about the handshower which sprayed to the ceiling.

We hope to welcome you again and please give us a call so we can book a taxi to pick you up at the trainstation to avoid such big price differences.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I was here in Maastricht on academic business. This renovated abbey church still impresses me when I enter, combining ancient ecclesiastical architecture with up-to-the-minute design. They make full use of the space in the nave - and, trust me - you will never have had breakfast in a place like it.

Staff are friendly and helpful, despite some of the complex visitors they have to cope with. I had had to cancel the previous night having been prevented from travelling, and they couldn´t have been more understanding, despite my lack of communication.

One thing I still have to do. I haven´t yet had dinner here. It´s supposed to be good. So if you´re in the region, then put this one on your list.

Room Tip: Give yourself a surprise. They all seem different.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
BGerretsen, General Manager at Kruisherenhotel Maastricht, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Dear SwissFrenchBrit,

Many thanks for reviewing your stay.

We passed the comments about our team-members on to them!

Your of course more then welcome to join us for dinner, which is served in the area where you can have breakfast!

Berry Gerretsen

Been to Kruisherenhotel Maastricht? Share your experiences!