“Conveniently anonymous” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel St. Martenslane

You added Hotel St. Martenslane to your Saves list
Hotel St. Martenslane
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sint Maartenslaan 6, 6221 AX Maastricht, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #15 of 38 Hotels in Maastricht
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Conveniently anonymous”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Since you hardly want to meet the other guests in a hotel, this place is comfortably anonymous. Checkin at the Town House hotel is warm en welcoming, secured parking around the corner (at € 22,- for the first day) and the entry of St Martenslane is stylish. The room (I was in 160) is spacious and clean. You can see that the hotel is a few years old, the reconstruction the did in ceiling and walls, and also on the little desk give it a bit -best years are behind us- feeling.

The room itself was quiet, with a great bed (Loved it!!!!) and the playing with the mood-light is kinda old-school these days. The big lamp in the room did not work and after calling the frontdesk, the said they would send someone to fix it, but that didn't happen.

WiFi-signal is good, coffee and tea are also free and downstairs you can get a midnightsnack from the vendingmachine.

I would definitely go here again when I'm in Maastricht, though the only bad thing about it is that the trolleys of guest on the floor above you will make a lot of noise. It sounded like a plane flying over at 7 am.

Room Tip: They are probably all equal.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
HipHotelMartenslane, Manager at Hotel St. Martenslane, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear 010surf,

Thank you for your review!

Good to hear that you had a good stay with us and we would love to welcome you again in the near future!

Team Hip Hotel St.Martenslane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed here with my husband for one night in July. The name is accurate, but not pretentiously or uncomfortably so. Excellent service through the Townhouse Hotel (Hip Hotel doesn’t have its own front desk, you check in at the Townhouse Hotel across the street). Super comfortable bed. The shower in our room had that half-door thing that one sees in a lot of places, which we don’t like and we got water all over the floor, but that’s probably my only negative about the place. It is very close to the train station and a quick 10-15 minute leisurely walk to the main tourist area (e.g. St. Servatius, shopping, and restaurants).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HipHotelMartenslane, Manager at Hotel St. Martenslane, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear laurenjamie816,

Thank you for your review!

We are glad to hear that you had such a nice stay.

Eindhoven, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Bad:
First time ever have sandy bed sheet for our 2nd night.
No Air conditioner, when room is hot and you need to open the fan and windows. That makes room becomes noisy
No footmad in bath room, then you use towels instead, just waste more towels when we can still sue that 2nd day...
No refrigerator/mini bar, can not store food is really a problem when the weather is warm
The LED blue lights for switches makes us can't sleep as it's just next to your eyes 15 cm away...
The pillows need to be replaced
Bed cover shall placed between Mattress Pads, was placed under top thin mattress. This makes the mattress not flat to lay on anymore
Good:
Stylish room but it becomes no cozy couch at room
The hotel change the bed sheet immediately after our complaint.
Really nice location near Maastricht train station, but it becomes extra cost for parking space
Breakfast is nice and price is fair.
Free wifi is really a plus

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
HipHotelMartenslane, Manager at Hotel St. Martenslane, responded to this review, July 29, 2012
Dear CR827,

Thank you for this review!

Also thank you for your advices, we will certainly discuss these comments.

We would like to welcome you again in the near future!

Team Hip Hotel
Durham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I very rarely complain about anything - in fact it makes me cringe to do it but we had no choice during our stay here. I will briefly list the issues we had below:

Room not cleaned for three days in a row; bins not emptied for three days in a row; tea and coffee not replaced for three days in a row; room was very hot but on ground floor next to busy road so unable to open windows; road outside was extremely noisy with buses travelling up and down till well after midnight; only one small pillow per person with no spares in the cupboard; smokers gathered outside our room so the smell came in through the window; vending machines with only 3 things available, were very expensive (2€ for a Kit Kat) and didn't have any water (Townhouse Hotel across the road also ran out of bottles of still water...); incredibly expensive room; our room didn't seem to have any of the amenities described on the website - the TV was attached to a bracket on the wall, not inside the bed frame as advertised; shower was over the bath at an angle which soaked the floor when it was used; no 'built in radio system' in bathroom; no 'large work and dinner desk';

... I think this enough for now. It doesn't seem like many other travellers had the same issues as us so possibly the problem was that we were put in a small and unfinished looking room on the ground floor - the upstairs rooms may have had more suitable beds and would probably have been quieter from being further away from the road.

To end on a positive, the location is brilliant and was perfect as we arrived very late in Maastricht, so we only needed to walk literally two minutes from the station to get there. And to their credit, the staff discounted our stay when we brought up some of these complaints - although it didn't seem as though they needed to authorisation of a manager to do so, so possibly they are aware of some of these issues and instruct the staff to give discounts accordingly?

I would not stay here again, but I fully appreciate that other travellers have had very good experiences in this hotel and will probably chalk it down to us just having been unlucky with our room allocation this time.

Room Tip: Absolutely avoid room 010 if you do stay here.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear AtticusFinch19,

Thank you for your review!

We are verry sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your stay.

Do not hesitate to contact us, so we can find a suitable solution. We hope to hear from you soon!

Best regards,

Team Hip Hotel
Gloucester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Great location, quite room, wonderful facilities. Huge room, very clean, and comfortable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

Very nice.
Satf very frendly.
And rooms very good.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
HipHotelMartenslane, Manager at Hotel St. Martenslane, responded to this review, April 21, 2012
Dear Fer19690808,

Thank you for writing this positive review!
It would be nice to welcome you again in Maastricht!

Kind Regards,
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

I stayed here last spring when I went to visit my sister while she was studying abroad at Maastricht University. I'll have to admit, I was a little unsure of what I was getting into when I first saw the photos of where she was putting me up during my visit. My first thought was, "I went to Maastrict to stay in South Beach?" but once there I found my initial assessment unfounded. St. Martenslane is a very cool hotel. One that I would definitely stay at again, should I ever get the chance to go back to Maastrict. My room had very much the feel of an apartment and not at all that of a hotel room, all the more enhanced by the fact the main lobby was across the street. I was very comfortable and felt very much at home. The room was clean, quiet and secure. It was also very modern in its decor, whether it be the bed in a cube-like frame that is centrally located in the bedroom with controls for every light in the room or the shower with LED's in the shower head that cycle through various colors while in use. All in all a very cool, very creative hotel.
The hotel is near literally across the street from the train station and about a fifteen minute walk from the older city and markt, which I didn't mind at all. It gave me a chance to go a different way everyday and see something new. There are, however, plenty of great restaurants within walking distance to the hotel, should you not want to walk that far.
St. Martenslane - definitely a hip hotel and definitely worth a stay if you're in Maastricht.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Dear Boarder_Ian,

Thank you for writing this great review!
If you ever coming over from Florida again, please do not hesitate to contact us!

Kind Regards,
Team Hip Hotel St. Martenslane

Been to Hotel St. Martenslane? Share your experiences!