There were several disappointing aspects to my stay.
1. The rooms are in desperate need of updating and scrubbing. Furniture is old and mismatched.
2. When I mentioned to the front desk employee that I was unable to pick up a wireless signal in my room, she suggested that I could come down to the lobby when I needed to work on my computer. (???) Eventually I was moved to a different room where the signal was detectable.
3. While smoking isn't permitted inside the building, the staff frequently smoke just outside the back door (and sometimes leave the back door open while doing so). The smoke travels straight up the stairwell making the air unbreathable in the hallways. This was a frequent problem.
4. Anyone staying in rooms that face the front of the building may be bothered by street noise. The property is on a side-street, but it is frequently used by students on their way to/from their social activities. We were frequently awakened by the loud conversation of pedestrians, occasionally by drunken singing, and on one occasion by someone playing a drum. You might want to try a room facing the back of the building, but I didn't have an opportunity to try such a room and thus cannot vouch for its features.
5. Basic hospitality was at a minimum. For instance, I noticed on my last morning that there was a stack of local guidebooks available, but these were not kept in an area where guests would notice them, so unless an employee dug one out, you'd never get one. Why don't employees offer a guidebook to all guests upon arrival, or place them in rooms by default?
6. I should also reinforce a point made by another reviewer: the stairs in this property are narrow, steep, and downright treacherous. As a lean, fit adult, I had a nervous time making my way up and down to my room. There is no elevator, so anyone with mobility issues should definitely stay elsewhere.
Bottom line: The city of Maastricht itself is fantastic, but if I return, I will stay in a different hotel.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.