“Did not meet the expectations” 3 of 5 stars

Haas op het Vrijthof
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Vrijthof 20, 6211 LD Maastricht, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #1 of 40 Maastricht B&B and Inns
Amsterdam
“Did not meet the expectations”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed for a weekend @ Haas op het Vrijthof.
First of all the location is perfect, the appartment was clean and looked nice (but no design interior), with a view over het Vrijthof. The personnel was helpful and friendly. A free parking place was provided!
After reading all the raving reviews we probably had too high expectations. For a price of €340 (excl.breakfast) per night for 4 persons, you expect something high end. This was unfortunately not the case.
The pillows were too thin and no extra pillows in the appartment, had to ask the next day after a rough night.
The kitchen was equipped a bit minimally, e.g. no 4 wine glasses, salt was empty, no bowls.
Shower did not have a curtain, and ran out of hot water after 3 showers

For this price you might expect something comfortable and luxurious. We thought the price was too high for a nice looking appartment with a view.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Krefeld, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We just stayed the second time in the Haas op het Vrijthof, On our first stay my husband and I rented the smallest suite and were already very glad with our choice but this time we reserved the two biggest suites as we were 4 adults and 2 small children. The suites are absolutely amazing - I could just straight move in to live there! The design furniture is picked with excellent taste and the few wunderful pieces in these spacious rooms give you a feeling of real luxery yet you feel at home.

I was especially fond of having your own fully equiped kitchen in all the suites - I used to travel a lot for work and always missed the opportunity of being able to prepare my own meals or store something light in a fridge but instead being forced to go to restaurants every night to grab some food. So I can only recommend the Haas for everyone staying in Maastricht for a business trip!

Not to mention the hosts of the Haas: As I said, we were there with my family and I must admit wer were a bit complicated - one person fell ill on the very last minutre and couldn't join; we had reserved three private parking spaces and in the end only used one; we had planned breakfast all together in one of the suites and changed our plans the very last minute etc - not really the guests that I would wish for :-) But Catharina handled all our requests and changes with a kind smile and her easy friendliness - when we got the bill they hadn't charged us the 5th person who didn't come (now-show fees would be just natural in this case) and they only charged fro the one parking space we finally used. Plus all the restaurant recommendations and reservations they did for us upfront.

Even though Maastricht is just a 1 hour drive from our home and could be easily visited in daytrips the Haas makes it essential for us to stay overnight when in Maastricht. We will for sure return!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had the most wonderful stay in this delightful guest house. The design furniture is stunning and our stay was made so comfortable by the beautiful owners. The location was perfectly situated in the centre of the square and we were recommend so many great places to visit and eat by the owners. I can't wait to come back t Maastricht and to Haas op het Vrijthof! Would recommend this place to everyone!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed with son for two nights in mid-August and I cannot speak highly enough of this small but marvellous hotel. Firstly, we stayed in a very nice and spacious "Superior Suite" comprising two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bathroom and toilet. The hotel location could not be better - right in the middle of Maastricht. Breakfast was served in our suite and was very nice. However, I really recommend this hotel for the superb service and generosity of the hotel managers. I was in Maastricht helping my son with his move as he is starting at the university. Our intention had been to buy some furniture from IKEA in nearby Heerlen but discovered that not much is open on Sundays in Holland. As I was leaving early Monday afternoon I had a very tight schedule to take the train to Heerlen and do all the shopping before leaving. On hearing of my problem the hotel hosts immediately provided me with their own car, set the navigator to IKEA and gave me the keys. This was a wonderfully generous guesture and solved all my problems. In short if you are visiting Maastricht stay here! I promise you will not regret it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Saint Louis, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We found this place on the internet, not knowing what to expect. It was great! We paid a little more than we usually did, but we got two floors, two bedrooms, a livingroom and dining room, a kitchen, and two bathrooms. It was so clean and nicely done. We felt so spoiled. There was a small patio off the small bedroom. We could sit out there and see the church steeple, and the old buildings all around us. We walked lots, and saw so many interesting buildings. The square is right in front of us. On the weekend there was some loud party noises coming from the square, but it just seemed like part of the sense of being in the middle of everything. We definitely recommend this place to people that want to see Maastricht...or visit their kids at the university!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Luxembourg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

This new establishment is just fantastic, mixing wonderful space, new design and charm of a 1920 building.
Great spacious suite, fully equipped kitchen, very comfortable bedding, big bathroom with tub and shower. Additional toilet next to the bedroom.
Enthusiastic owners provide warm and personnalised welcome and advice about what to see and do in Maastricht.
There is parking available on request.
Great breakfast ingredients are provided in the room the night before so that you can have breakfast in your kitchen the next morning.
My only fear is that soon it they will be constantly fully-booked and you will have to plan well in advance to be able to get a room!
Definitely worth visiting!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to Haas op het Vrijthof? Share your experiences!