“Feel like being treated as a guest” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel de Pauwenhof
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   70, Boschstraat, Maastricht, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #10 of 38 Hotels in Maastricht
South of Amsterdam, north of Paris
“Feel like being treated as a guest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2010

We were in Maastricht for our honeymoon, and this hotel was a perfect pick. We were looking for a cozy and romantic place to stay, somewhat exclusive but affordable for us (we are still young and studying). Nic (the owner) was very friendly, gave wonderful advice about what to see and do in the city. Breakfast is brilliant, the staff is friendly, and rooms were OK. We had a room in the hotel itself (not one of the garden rooms) which was quite bland compared to the stunning ground floor. Next time we would try one of the garden rooms seeing these reviews here. Another nice touch: because it was our honeymoon, one of our trips (a boat trip to Liège) was payed for by the house. We would definitely consider this hotel again when we are in Maastricht!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2009

We selected de Pauwenhof to be our hotel during our short weekend in Maastricht becouse the old traditional atmosphere of the hotel as stated on the internet.
Check in was easy and pleasant, the breakfast room and the garden are adorable, but the guestrooms...
Such a shame they didnt leave any old features- all the furniture are modern IKEA-style, fake-leather chairs that are very uncomfortable to sit on, mini plastic flower arrangement on the table.. We didnt want that to ruin our weekend, and went out to enjoy Maastricht terraces, restaurants, shopping.
Later in the evening we came back (after 23 hours the reception is closed), wanted to get some sleep, but found out that the pillows were absolutely NOT comfortable. Extremely hard, and after few hours of sleep I woke up with my head smelling like rubber (?!).
The walls seem to be very thin, you can hear your neighbours doing their thing-
I was quite happy it was morning and we could continue our trip.
The breakfast was good, the lady working there very nice and friendly.
The check-out was swift (I believe we interrupted something she was doing?), the person checking us out wasn't even intrested if we had a good stay.

de Pauwenhof has a great location, good breakfast but overpriced guestrooms.
Next time we will choose something more authentic.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

After arriving in the city and quickly deciding that the hotel that I originally booked was small and located above a bar and grill type eatery, my daughter and I started out walking to find another hotel. We were initially told that there was "no vacancies" after the owner saw that we were black. After going down the street to yet another small and locally owned hotel, we were sent back witha note signed by this hotel's owner, who said, " give this note to him, and he'll let you stay." At this point we wer very tired from a long trip and had luggage in tow, so we decided to got back with the note to the hotel.
This time, the man reluctantly "found" a room for my daughter and I, but not before he got five types of id's, credit card number and a copy of both our Passports. He then "claimed" that he did not understand what I meant by"do you have any vacancies" the first time I was there. Generally, I would have not stayed at a place with such obvious bias and racism, but when in an unfamiliar country, I was afraid that I would not get a room for the night. At any rate, the rooms were air conditioned ( yes, it made a sound every 2 minutes or so) and clean.
After the man realized that we had money and were not going to stiff him for the bill; his attitude changed, toward us, but was never totally friendly. We stayed for 2 nights and were able to get a reasonable amount of rest.
I enjoyed the patio/garden area and the fact that the location was near town square.
The desk clerk was not helpful at all in providing information about attractions or sights.
Overall, the stay was "okay".

• Stayed July 2009
Lausanne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

Unlike others, we found the hotel really easily with a GPS. Every thing was perfect, the staff, the location, the cleanliness etc... I forgot my phone my room and they sent it back three days later. I was really impressed by the honesty and the rapidity they did that. Definitely a recommended address in Maastricht for anyone.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

If you are staying in Maastricht, I suggest you first look into staying at the Pauwenhof. The owner, Nic, greeted us, checked us in, and then , following check-in, treated us to a welcoming drink. Everything was great. The people who work there are wonderful!! Vivian who handles the morning, including breakfast, is spectacular. Nic told us of a local restaurant that was truly local--and the best food we found anywhere in Europe for 2 weeks. I would definitely stay here again. By the way, I have no idea how anyone could fail to find this hotel---it is one block from City Hall.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
luxembourg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

A small stylish hotel where you feel really at home. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. There is enclosed (though not covered) parking behind (you have to get a key from reception then drive round to it as no direct access from the hotel and you pay but it's reasonable). We had a nice room off the ground floor courtyard, where there are chairs and tables so you can sit out (and smoke) and the courtyard can be covered when the weather is bad. The room was an average size, clean, quiet, and nicely equipped including a good expresso machine which could also provide hot water for tea. The bathroom was very nicely appointed. The breakfast buffet (not included in room rate) was good and they cooked eggs to order. There is nice lounge area. There is no regular restaurant for lunch or dinner (they will cater for parties on request) but it's really not an issue as there so many good bars, cafes and restaurants in Maastricht. The location, just off the Market Square where there is a very good market on Friday, is good for walking to all the attractions and shops. It's not a bargain but is fair value for money. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

In reading most of the positive reviews of this hotel, I can't help but scratch my head wondering why I never experienced the hotel that my fellow travelers seemed to have. Only 1 gentleman, commenting about being charged his entire stay when he couldn't find the hotel, comes close to matching my experience here. Like some other travellers, I too booked the Pawenhof for a business trip. A week long stay. This was not the corporate recommended hotel in the area, that was the Crown Plaza, but it was instead recommended by a co-worker who was re-located there several years ago, due to overbooking at the Crown. This co-worker had nothing but good things to say about the hotel, so I went ahead and booked it for 2 collegues and myself. My wife is European, so the idea of staying at a European boutique type of hotel vs a normal business hotel, sounded nice. Every communication via email with the hotel was handled professionally, and I was very much looking forward to my stay here. Once in the Netherlands, though, the problems started.
To begin with, my wife and I flew to Brussels the day before and had planned to spend the night there. We decided instead to phone the Pauwenhof to see if it was possible to check in a day early and spend an extra night, up front, at the hotel. The proprietor said it was no problem, so we drove the 2 hours from where we were, to Maastricht. Like another traveller on here, we had plenty of trouble finding the hotel via car. There were signs pointing to the hotel but they pointed in the wrong direction, only later did we figure out that the only way to access the hotel is an indirect loop through the city square. We ended up phoning the hotel twice trying to get better directions, and ended up finding it after more than 1 hour of driving and walking. The main issue we had was that you cannot see the hotel at all unless you are standing almost directly in front of it. The hotel sits back from the buildings around it and the hotel sign is posted on the front of the hotel which didn't help us when we were looking down the street trying to find it. Relieve that we finally arrived, we were greeted by the proprieter who seems to imply that we were somehow lacking a few IQ pts with our inability to find the hotel more quickly. No harm, no foul though. Then came the real kicker ... he had no room available for us. He stated that he thought we simply wanted to check into the hotel a day early, but not stay there the extra day. Because people often do that, as the gentleman stated. Now, I travel A LOT ... and I have never heard of anyone checking into a hotel a day early, without any intention of staying there. Why don't i show up a day early, pay you for a hotel that I'm not even staying at yet, then leave and go stay somewhere else. The situation was lost on me ... I was polite however, and said we will just drive back to brussels to stay 1.5 hours away. He did find me a room available in the country about 20 min. away from a friend of his, but i declined. I had a bad taste in my mouth from the experience still and wasnt' ready to make a split second decision to stay at his friends hotel that i hadn't had the chance to look into.

The next day we arrived back at the hotel, this time with a work collegue. Everything went smoothly and I chalked the prior experience up to a bad day, and looked forward to the week. The proprietor gave us maps to our work location, advice on how long it would take to drive there, etc. Very helpful. At night, some more problems started however. The air conditioning in my room made a buzzing noice every 2 minutes all night. My wife and I got about 3 hours of sleep due to this. My wife left early to take a train home to germany, and I met my collegue for breakfast. Nice breakfast. My collegue however, proceeded to tell me how she had very little water pressure that morning and was unable to wash her hair because of it. I did indeed have water pressure in my room, but took at room temperature shower due to the hot water not actually being hot. My collegue had no hot water at all. The thing about the hotel is that there is no one at the front desk from 11pm to 7am. So while my collegue and i discussed these issues amongst ourselves at breakfast, we were unable to notify the proprietor of these issues due to early meetings that we had to leave for. Decided instead to inform my local secretary about them once we arrived into work, and have her call and switch our rooms or get the issues resolved. Whatever the hotel prefered.
During my work day, the secretary did indeed call, and was told by the proprietor that I had already communicated the AC issue to him and it was being fixed, and that my collegue probably just didn't know how to work the shower in her room. Not, "oh, I'm sorry, let me look into it." But it was my co-worked who was at fault somehow. As for my discussing the AC with the proprietor, this never happened. That's why I had the secretary call - to inform them of the AC. The only way he could have know about the AC was if the conversation with my co-worked was overheard at breakfast, the conversation with my wife was overheard in our room at night, or he just flat out lied. I dont know which one it was, but none of those answers made me feel good about staying there. Upon our return to the hotel, were were greeted by a woman who told me that there was someone in my room at that exact time fixing my AC. This was 7pm at night, mind you, while my secretary had called in the morning about the issues. Nothing was done about my collegues issue. We went up to the room, I walked into mine and there was no one in my room fixing my AC. And the AC was still buzzing every 2 min. We were tired, on a week long business trip, and this was just unnaceptable for our situation so we went down with our luggage and informed the front desk attendant that we were checking out early. It was just too uncomfortable with the unresolved issues and the proprietors explanation to the secretary about my AC. We were then informed that we owed the full amount to be paid in full. But we only stayed 1 night! What was the reason? Cancellation policy. Like the earlier review of the gentleman who cancelled because he couldn't find it and was then charged his full stay, we were charged our full 5 night stay after only staying 1 night, because of the cancellation policy. Problem was that we did not cancell. We showed up, and stayed, and were leaving because of the hotel being unable, or unwilling, to provide the services they are obligated to provide. When I stated this, I was met with what I shall call a non-shalant attitude and "how would I be paying". I'm in the NL, don't know the laws, so I paid. But i knew it wasn't right. I informed the hotel no one from my company will ever stay there again, and was met with a shrug and "have a nice day". So I was charged over $1500 for 2 rooms, over 4 nights, that we did not stay in. All I wanted was fairness and honesty, and I got neither.

After all was said and done, we fought the charge using American Express and won our $1500 back. I was ready to also fight it through the Netherlands hotel and catering establishment. I have never been treated wiith that level of dishonesty at any hotel establishment.

So my advice is, if you choose to stay here and everything is in working order and you do indeed find it, you very likely might have a decent stay. If not, I wish you luck. Because who knows which hotel pauwenhof will get.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hotel de Pauwenhof? Share your experiences!