“Tidy, quiet and super-comfortable beds!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Randwyck

Save Saved
You added Hotel Randwyck to your Saves list
Hotel Randwyck
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Endepolsdomein 30, Maastricht 6229 EM, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #25 of 40 Maastricht B&B and Inns
Delft
“Tidy, quiet and super-comfortable beds!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We did two nights (Fri/Sat) in Maastricht at the ApartHotel Randwyck with a Groupon deal.

Our first impression was a bit industrial: it is located in an office park near the hospital/university. It may not be the most charming of locations, but it's far from a deal-braker. The Maastricht Randwyck train station is just a block away and there are multiple buses towards the "real" centre. To walk into town takes only about 20 minutes.

Parking is somewhat odd. If you're lucky, you can park for free in front of the hotel (24/7). Across the street are parking spaces that are free for overnight (but you need to move your car by 8:00). And you can also pay to park in the back of the hotel. Since there is not enough capacity in the free parking, you essentially pay a late penalty.

The rooms are simple but relatively spacious. Black/white decor makes it feel modern (apparently there are also themed rooms available with different colour schemes). There is a good sized refrigerator available, and we experienced great WiFi reception throughout the building. The ittle french "balcony" in the room was pleasant on a warm summer day.

The bathroom was fresh and modern. Like the rest of the room, very clean. Only minor point was the shower: it is the "wet room" kind with just a single piece of glass. Looks great and very spacious, but the shower still splashed into the main bathroom -- and there was nothing to do about it (other than try to shower in the corner).

They deserve a gold star for the quality of the beds. We slept amazingly well. They were so comfortable, on our second night we cut short our "night out" because it was nicer to just relax on the beds, drink and talk instead of being out. First time ever!! Also two very good pillows provided for each person.

TV had reception issues, some stations had static. Being from NL, we didn't even notice if stations were "international", but since so much of Dutch TV is in English, I can't imagine this being a big problem (hotels in Sweden don't have much else than Swedish TV either, same in Germany, etc.).

Breakfast was a lovely spread of good fresh food. Two different kinds of "vlaai" were available each morning, which felt quite decadent (cake for breakfast? let's indulge!). It would have been nice to have some scrambled eggs/bacon, but this is a minor point.

Service is quite friendly, if at times a little less polished than some other hotels. We had to help translate because the night attendant didn't speak very good English.

One serious security flaw: despite having an electronic keycard system, they have preset cards for each room. A sticker on the back has the room number. And on the front of the keycard is the address of the hotel. If I were to be pickpocketed, the thief would not only have my key but also know exactly what hotel and room I'm staying in. This is the only hotel I have ever stayed in with keycards that does not make a new key each time. Why install a keycard system if you don't use the security benefits?

There is nothing fancy/distinctive about this hotel, but it also has no pretentions otherwise. If you're looking for a clean, comfortable hotel with easy motorway/public transport access, then this one really fits the bill. €140/night (that others have mentioned) is too much, but I would find it appropriate value in the €70-95 range. Maybe a bit more during peak season/events.

And if you're picky about your bed, this is absolutely the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the back looking onto the courtyard - you get a view of the trees and less street noi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

71 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Essex, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My wife and I booked for three nights. Our card was debited as soon as we arrived, no explanation offered, although on paper we had an option to pay when we checked out. Our room was rather drab and uninspiring for the price (Euro 140 per night for first two nights). Tiny TV on wall-bracket, showed only Dutch TV channels, no international ones. Domestic fridge in entrance vestibule (not switched on) passed as a mini-bar, stocked with two bottles of water and two tins of warm cola. No air-conditioning in room. Bathrobe for one person only. No shower cap (issued at the desk at my wife's request).

Lighting was quite inadequate. Bedside lamps fitted with upward-facing reflector spots that shed weak light on ceiling but rendered bedside reading impossible. Other lights were dim economy-style jobs, this contributed to gloomy ambience.

The room was of a good size, as was the 'wet-room' with decent walk-in shower.

The safe provided was mounted on the top shelf of the fitted wardrobe, not at all accessible by my wife who is 5'4" tall. I could put stuff in it, but couldn't see it after doing so, and had to swish around blindly with my hand to recover items that weren't visible. I'm 5'6" (average height).

Decor on the ground floor and lobby was OK but reception, bar and breakfast lounge rather cramped together. On the second floor anyone leaving the lift could be startled to encounter a huge life-sized resin statue of Jesus (Sacred Heart) with mournful expression and hand raised in blessing. Goodness knows what possessed the manager to install this on a landing, the receptionist said it scared some guests.

The Hotel offers limited free on-street parking. When all free places are full the hotel compound offers secure parking at Euro 8 per night. We didn't take meals, but the hotel offers a decent bottle of wine at Euro 9.45.

The hotel is on the commercial side of the river, well-served by buses to the centre, and by the train from a station no more than 150 metres away. Again, very sterile and - at night - rather intimidating. But it's very quiet too, no traffic noise at all.

Service was a bit off-hand and brusque, although the night-receptionist was friendly and obliging. We wouldn't pay such prices again for what's offered, not really value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for one night. We were in the luxury family apartment which was very big and and very beautiful - probably one of their best rooms.
It was very clean, had a nice and simple but elegant decor.
The reception staff was average and breakfast the next day was quite good with a decent choice of cold cuts, cheeses, jam, waffles and pastries and breads.

Since we were on visit as tourists with our main interests being the center, Hotel Randwyck was a bit far from the center.

Overall we enjoyed our stay very much, though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I would call this an average hotel (despite the 4 *). I booked the hotel through an auction for 2 nights. It seemed cheap, however when checking in it cost me another 92 euros (parking, breakfast and tourist tax - all 2 persons). That made it still quite reasonable, but there are better options in Maastricht.

On the other hand: The hotel looks nice and the desk personnel was very helpful. The rooms were average, with a coffee maker, regrigarator and room safe. The TV though is very, small ( but HD quality). The bathroom looks nice but needs some renovation (we had room 252). The beds and decks are wonderful, I and my wife slept great.

Breakfast is average, nothing special. There is not really a bar, but the hotel has a facility to serve you all kinds of sodas and many (Belgian and Limburgs) biers.

Room Tip: The hotel is okay, but nothing special. It is located right across the railway station Randwyck. On...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Modi'in, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

If you are in Maastricht for the conference center - then this hotel is perfect. It's just 1 minute walk to the conference center (MECC) and to the train station.
The room was big but not very clean. Small TV, average beds. Breakfast buffet was fine and hotel staff were friendly and speak good English.
The hotel is not close to the city center or to any stores or shopping center, but is serviced by frequent public transport.
Only come here if you need the conference center.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Lima, Peru
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

The hotel looks nice at first. My first bad experience came when dealing with their staff. At first I thought it was a cultural issue but then I noticed the only people treating me bad in the netherlands are the people working at this hotel. I left a key for a bycicle for one of my travel companions in the front desk, when he went to pick it up, they said they didn't have it. When I went for it, they told me they couldn't get it because it was either in the safe (and they didn't have the combination) or in the trash bin because they don't keep things for their guests in the front desk.

I left a used ceramic cup on my nightstand on friday. It's still there (I would've washed it, but I want to see if they'll just leave it there untill I leave). My sheets have holes in them and it's had the same hole since last week, so apparently they're not changing the sheets. I have reason to believe the towels aren't being changed either.

I wanted to have breakfast one morning... when they saw me eating they YELLED at me "you don't have breakfast included!!". I asked them to charge it to my room and their answer was: "No, you pay upfront" (by the way, their breakfast was 14 euro... a bit too expensive if you ask me).

The internet connection was practically non existant. When you managed to get a signal (a task only achievable by staying near the front desk), you had to do so at 3:00am - 6:00am, because if too many people were connected they overloaded the network, so no pages would load.

I bought some food for my room and asked them if I could borrow a fork and knife. Their answer? "No, you might steal it".

Finally, I travelled with a big group and me and my male roomate asked for a room with separate beds. What they did was put us in a room with a matrimonial bed. When we complained about it, their answer was: "Ask some girls if they'll switch rooms with you, girls don't mind sleeping together".

Room service was literally non existant.

Sound like a four star hotel? Hopefully you will never have to go through the frustrating, miserable experience of staying in this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Driehuis, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

The bed was very nice and soft (which I prefer personally). The double room is spacious enough. It looks like that the bathroom was renovated recently and looks really nice. They offer you a shower cap, razor blades and a toothbrush as well as toothpaste. All the rooms have different styles. Accessibility by car is not too good; the train station "Maastricht Randwyk" is less than 5 minutes walking and it takes three minutes from this station to Maastricht "Central" station. Wi-Fi is for free, but my iPhone couldn't connect to the network whereas my iPad could.

The bar has different kinds of drinks, varying from liquors, champagne or coke. We have seen British and Flemish guests during our stay.

The staff was not extremely friendly, but still kind and good knowledge of the surroundings and the facilities. Breakfast (Sunday between 7 and 10 AM) was sufficient. They offer prosecco and salmon, as well as fresh croissant and sugared waffles but they don't offer "basic" items such as scrambled eggs or bacon. Coffee is good, although the juices they offer are bottled and from which I know they are incredibly sugared artificially.

The surroundings of the hotel are not very nice. If you use this hotel just to spend the night in the neighborhood of Maastricht, this hotel is worth choosing. The hotel has got five stars, although I would personally give them only stars.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Randwyck? Share your experiences!