“Good for conferences and the Uni” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Randwyck

You added Hotel Randwyck to your Saves list
Hotel Randwyck
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Endepolsdomein 30, 6229 EM Maastricht, The Netherlands   |
Ranked #26 of 40 Maastricht B&B and Inns
Dublin
“Good for conferences and the Uni”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Really nice hotel with and lovely staff. This Hotel is very near the Rhandwyck railway station. It has many 2 bedroom suites, with a refridgerator but unfortunately no cooking facilities, so not great if you want a place to cook. Not very close to the city centre (10 min by bus), but if your at a conference or visiting MU it is a perfect location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Indonesian first
stoke
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Saff were helpful and friendly. Good with directions and for taxis into town etc.

Good size room in a quiet part of town adjacent to the conference centre.

Has a bar and limited food options (nuts etc) although breakfast was quite good.

It is away from the town centre but can be walked easily and the second half of the walk is along side of the river. Pleasant 15 - 20 minute walk on a sunny day.

Would put as 3 star at a push but adequate for us as we were on a one night "stop over" on a motorcycle trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Heidelberg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I'll certainly never return here. Not only were things stolen from my room (from inside my bag!), but the front desk staff was incredibly unhelpful and EXTREMELY rude about it. I was promised that at least an email would be send to the manager (who could not be reached for such an unimportant problem such as theft inside the hotel), and that he would in turn send me an email, but to this date no email has reached me. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Palo Alto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I went to a conference there about a month ago. I chose this hotel because it was close to the train station (5 minutes walk to Maastricht Randwyck station), and it had free wifi. I made the reservation through an email. The staff responded with the confirmation promptly. I was happy about that. The staffs working at the front desk were nice and helpful. The room was big enough for one person. The breakfast cost 13 euro extra per day, but was good. There is no restaurant in the hotel. It is about 30 minutes walk or 10 minute bus ride to the middle of the town where you can find plenty of good restaurants. There is a fitness center on the ground floor. There are treadmill, bicycle and eliptical machines there.
Now the problems. I have the same experience as another reviewer about the bathroom, wifi and house keeping. However, the worst part was that I got bug bites in my room. Originally I thought I got mosquito bites, but after the third night I was convinced that they were from the bed. There were over 30 bug bites over my legs and arms. They looked like bed bug bites when I compared them to the images on the internet. I also found ink like stains (these are bed bug feces) on the sheet. I told the front desk, and I got changed to a different room. I did not get more bite, but the itch and rash lasted over 2 weeks.

Cambridge
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Bad surprise.

I went to Maastricht to attend a conference lasting a week. We had the choice between the NH hotel and the Ranwyck. Both were roughly at the same price, both were claimed to be 4*, and both had mixed review on Tripadvisor. There was free wifi at the Randwyck, hence my choice. That was an error. It is not a 4* hotel. It is a 2.5*.

The room was reasonably large, however the bathroom was tiny. There is only a small shower (of the type "hole in the floor"), with no separation from the rest of the bathroom, which therefore got drenched each time. There is a small sink, without any place where to put toiletry articles. I was forced to use the toilet, which fortunately is very close to the sink. There was a minibar with a couple of beers, coke and water, but it is not refilled, whatever the duration of the stay. Same thing for the tea and coffee. I had 2 teabags for the week. Room cleaning was erratic. The tea-cup were changed every other days. Some days the towels disappeared. Another day I got three sets.

There is no restaurant at the hotel and one has to go to the nearby NH hotel or further in-town. There is a very small bar, with a dozen of beverages. The breakfast was very good though and complete though. This is by far the best feature of the Randwyck. The wireless was free, but very weak in my room, probably because I was at the extremity of a corridor.

But mostly, the hotel is not up to the game. It is old and battered, and badly maintained. The lift is extremely slow. All the corridors reek of sweat. It looks like a student accommodation rather than an international hotel.

Compared to the nearby NH, with its modern bar, restaurant and spa, we are in a different universe.

Room Tip: Weak wifi at the extremities.
Porto Alegre, RS
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

At first, I was thinking that the hotel was good, with a good location near the MECC (I went for a conference there) and a comfortable apartment.

However, on our last night there, a bottle of perfume and a skin foundation, both Dior, were stolen from the suitcase of one of the people in my group. After searching the entire apartment, we went to the reception to complain and were told to go back the next morning, after thay had talked to the head of the housekeeping. We went three times to the reception on the next day (we even went back there after having checked-out), because we were told twice to go back later. On the third time, the receptionist told us she could not contact the head of the housekeeping, because it was a separate company and only the manager could call. But the manager was not there, and she refused to call him on a Sunday, saying that the situation was not important enough for her to bother him on his free day. We were outraged, and she made us go back to the room to get the empty perfume box, as "evidence" that the perfume was actually stolen. After we left the lobby, she impersonated us and we overheard.

In the end, we left the hotel with the contact of the manager and with the problem unsolved. I was shocked by this, since I expect that a hotel will take care of stuff like this right away. I was mostly shocked by the fact that the stealing of our belongings inside the hotel was treated as something minor.

Not recommended.

Las Vegas, NV
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

I like Aparthotels, being a big fan of the Aparthotel on the Spree, which we often stay at when fate directs us to Berlin. The Maastricht instantiation is pleasant but lacks the numerous subtle touches that elevate the Spree version above the mundane. Nevertheless I heartily recommend this hotel to anyone attending functions or meetings at the Maastricht School of Business, which is right next door. It’s an economical and functional hotel run by courteous and professional staff.

Internet is both free and operational, which is a big plus. The rooms are functional and clean. Décor leans towards the spare side, with the curious exception of huge cement roses on the small round table in each room, which (in our case) we promptly relocated to the floor so that we could actually use the tables for something other than the care and housing of huge cement roses. Interesting paintings by one particular artist adorn the walls and would make for a passable thesis in intergender and intragender relations as interpreted symbolically, with a decided emphasis on the harmonious nature of female-female interactions and the fraught, angst-laden nature of those between females and males. A pleasant “library” area with tables and chairs is located between the ground and first floors for informal gatherings. The breakfast is not outrageously priced (12 Euros) but frankly, is not very inspiring; a tiny variety of fruit, rolls, some cuts of salami and so on, and coffee. There is a Lidl about ten minutes’ walk away that will give you better pickings at a fraction of the price if, like me, you’re a cheap, uh, fellow. Rudimentary (powdered) coffee is available in the rooms, but ours was not replaced during three days of residence; fortunately we had brought our own, anticipating just that endemic European problem.

Overall, functional, clean, and utilitarian. If your attentions are elsewhere, such as at a conference, then it is a good choice for the area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Randwyck? Share your experiences!